The Student Room Group

Women In Science

Hi guys!

I was just wondering whether anyone on here is going to the 'women in science' easter residential at Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am! I'm sending my thing back tomorrow, had to get a photo done, haha.
Do you know anyone else who's going?
Reply 2
Original post by LauraRD
I am! I'm sending my thing back tomorrow, had to get a photo done, haha.
Do you know anyone else who's going?

Ah good stuff! - I've filled out all the forms just need to get the photo done tomorrow and i'm good to go..
noo I don't know anyone who is, a couple of people applied from my school - but I think they only have what 22 people going aha?

do you know anyone else going? :P
Reply 3
Original post by x_leah27_x
Ah good stuff! - I've filled out all the forms just need to get the photo done tomorrow and i'm good to go..
noo I don't know anyone who is, a couple of people applied from my school - but I think they only have what 22 people going aha?

do you know anyone else going? :P

Yup, 22 people.
No, only 3 of us applied from my school and I was the only one to get in. :s
Ah well, at least I know other people will probably be in the same situation, ahah.

What subjects are you studying now?
I do Art, Spanish, Chem and Bio.
Reply 4
Original post by LauraRD
Yup, 22 people.
No, only 3 of us applied from my school and I was the only one to get in. :s
Ah well, at least I know other people will probably be in the same situation, ahah.

What subjects are you studying now?
I do Art, Spanish, Chem and Bio.

Ah yeah same here! Just had my photo done, planning on sending my forms off tomorrow now - yeah I think that most people will probs be in this situation as they said they could only allocate a small num of places from each school!

ahhh my 2 worst subjects aha! (art and bio) :lol:
I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry and history :biggrin:
Reply 5
Ah yeah same here! Just had my photo done, planning on sending my forms off tomorrow now - yeah I think that most people will probs be in this situation as they said they could only allocate a small num of places from each school!

ahhh my 2 worst subjects aha! (art and bio) :lol:
I'm doing maths, further maths, chemistry and history :biggrin:

Noooo, Art and Biology are okay! XD I think I'll drop Art next year though..unless I fail something else. d:

Eee, I'm getting kind of excited. Scared as well though. A bit of both, ahaha.
Reply 6
Original post by LauraRD
Noooo, Art and Biology are okay! XD I think I'll drop Art next year though..unless I fail something else. d:

Eee, I'm getting kind of excited. Scared as well though. A bit of both, ahaha.

ah I can't draw or anything so I would have completely failed art if i took it lol :P

hehe same here! I'm excited to stay at the college the most..as well as the computer science lecture :P (i'm sad like that..)

which lectures did you choose?

I went for maths, physics, computer science and engineering..
Reply 7
ah I can't draw or anything so I would have completely failed art if i took it lol :P

hehe same here! I'm excited to stay at the college the most..as well as the computer science lecture :P (i'm sad like that..)

which lectures did you choose?

I went for maths, physics, computer science and engineering..

Ahahaha, I went for pretty much the opposite except one. Chemistry, Computer Science, Biological Sciences and Earth Sciences.
I would've went for Physics and Engineering, but I'm pretty sure that would be a stupid thing to do as I don't do Maths or Physics, ahaha. Well, Earth Science would've won anyway since that is what I'm considering atm.

I do regret not taking Maths though, I didn't think I'd miss it lol.
Reply 8
Original post by LauraRD
Ahahaha, I went for pretty much the opposite except one. Chemistry, Computer Science, Biological Sciences and Earth Sciences.
I would've went for Physics and Engineering, but I'm pretty sure that would be a stupid thing to do as I don't do Maths or Physics, ahaha. Well, Earth Science would've won anyway since that is what I'm considering atm.

I do regret not taking Maths though, I didn't think I'd miss it lol.

ah that sounds pretty good! it was a tough one to call between physics + biol, but i went for physics as i like maths :P ah right it probs wouldn't have been..i don't do physics :lol: ah earth science sounds good :smile:

ah i really enjoy maths this year :biggrin: but yaaay your doing computer science :wink: i thought there may be a lack of people choosing that option lol!
Reply 9
ah that sounds pretty good! it was a tough one to call between physics + biol, but i went for physics as i like maths :P ah right it probs wouldn't have been..i don't do physics :lol: ah earth science sounds good :smile:

ah i really enjoy maths this year :biggrin: but yaaay your doing computer science :wink: i thought there may be a lack of people choosing that option lol!

Yeah, but you do Maths so you'd probably be able to cope with all the the equations and theories and stuff and idk. XD

Ohh did you have a Maths exam in Jan? If you did, how were your results? You don't have to tell me though. d:

Realllyyyy? I just didn't really like the sound of Materials Science, I think Computer Science sounds really interesting!!
Reply 10
Original post by LauraRD
Yeah, but you do Maths so you'd probably be able to cope with all the the equations and theories and stuff and idk. XD

Ohh did you have a Maths exam in Jan? If you did, how were your results? You don't have to tell me though. d:

Realllyyyy? I just didn't really like the sound of Materials Science, I think Computer Science sounds really interesting!!

ah yeah thats what I thought see! and anythings better than biol for me lol :P

yes i did, yeah good thanks 96% so an A :smile: happpyyy :biggrin: did you get any results?

yeah computer science will def be better than materials science :P hardly any girls do computer science I swear, I went to work experience the other day, in a computer company, and they were shocked when I told them I wanted to do programming.. apparently its not something 'girls' do ahah! :lol:
Reply 11

Original post by LauraRD

I'm going! I didn't get any of the forms though, I think they just didn't arrive, so I only found out today! :tongue: Thankfully they're still giving me a place even though I missed the deadline which is nice of them :smile: Only me and one other girl from my school applied and she didn't get a place. I'm currently taking Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. I was taking Physics but dropped out for health reasons, so I'm only taking 3 AS levels and General Studies, but I think I might pick up an AS next year if my health improves :smile:

I chose Maths, Computer Science, Physics and Engineering Science :smile:
Reply 12
ah yeah thats what I thought see! and anythings better than biol...

Wowww, congratulations, that's amazing! (: No I didn't do any exams in January, I've got them all in one go ahaha.

Oh lol! Well I guess it isn't, but I don't see why not. I think it sounds great and I hardly know anything about it. XD

Original post by 03hope03
I'm going! I didn't get any of the forms though, I think they just didn't arrive, so...

Yay! Congrats! (: Aww, I hope you get well enough to pick it up next year.

Another maths-y person, I wonder if that means Bio will be emptier? Who knows, you two are the only people I've spoken to that's going. XD

So have either of you been to/visited Jesus College before??
Reply 13
Yay! Congrats! (: Aww, I hope you get well enough to pick it up next year.

Yeah, I hope I will be too :smile: And nope, never been to it properly. I don't actually know much about it. How about you?
Reply 14
Original post by LauraRD
Wowww, congratulations, that's amazing! (: No I didn't do any exams in January, I've got them all in one go ahaha.

Oh lol! Well I guess it isn't, but I don't see why not. I think it sounds great and I hardly know anything about it.

hehe thanks I was pleased :smile: ah well I guess thats good and bad aha! :lol:

yeah it will be good fun! :biggrin:

yeah i've been to jesus college with my school on a tour..it looked really nice :P

Original post by 03hope03
I'm going! I didn't get any of the forms though, I think they just didn't arrive, so I only found out today! :tongue: Thankfully they're still giving me a place even though I missed the deadline which is nice of them :smile: Only me and one other girl from my school applied and she didn't get a place. I'm currently taking Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. I was taking Physics but dropped out for health reasons, so I'm only taking 3 AS levels and General Studies, but I think I might pick up an AS next year if my health improves :smile:

I chose Maths, Computer Science, Physics and Engineering Science :smile:

yayy! nice oneee woo! ah thats lucky! - ooh thats similar to me, i'm doing them 3 + plus history..and I also dropped out of physics (but that was because I didn't like it aha)

hehe thats exactly what I choose! see you there :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
hehe thanks I was pleased :smile: ah well I guess thats good and bad aha! :lol:

yeah it will be good fun! :biggrin:

yeah i've been to jesus college with my school on a tour..it looked really nice :P

Yeah, I've only got 6 exams though (7 if you include Art) so it isn't tooooo bad compared to other people in my school. (: But I would've liked to just get one or two out of the way really. Even if I didn't get the grade I wanted, I would've retaken it anyway. Still, it would've been nice to just get it over and done with ahaha.

You do Chemistry right..Is it just me or is unit 2 waaayy more interesting? I know unit 1 was like foundation knowledge or whatever, but I quite like Chemistry lessons now. XD
Reply 16
Original post by LauraRD
Yeah, I've only got 6 exams though (7 if you include Art) so it isn't tooooo bad compared to other people in my school. (: But I would've liked to just get one or two out of the way really. Even if I didn't get the grade I wanted, I would've retaken it anyway. Still, it would've been nice to just get it over and done with ahaha.

You do Chemistry right..Is it just me or is unit 2 waaayy more interesting? I know unit 1 was like foundation knowledge or whatever, but I quite like Chemistry lessons now. XD

ah thats about the same as me exams wise, i think I only have 6 too :smile: yeah it is helpful, it lets me know whether i've done enough work or not aha and how much to do in the summer! I wasn't sure about the jump between gcse's and a levels so didn't know how much to revise lol :P

yeah i do chem, you mean like ch1 and ch2? I'm finding chem hard :frown: I think I actually prefer ch1..its got more maths in it :P
Reply 17
ah thats about the same as me exams wise, i think I only have 6 too :smile: yeah it is helpful, it lets me know whether i've done enough work or not aha and how much to do in the summer! I wasn't sure about the jump between gcse's and a levels so didn't know how much to revise lol :P

yeah i do chem, you mean like ch1 and ch2? I'm finding chem hard :frown: I think I actually prefer ch1..its got more maths in it :P

I think the subject I'm worrying about most is Spanish, the least is Art since there isn't really an exam. n_n

Yup, Chem is pretty hard for me too atm. :/ What board are you on? Idk, I call it unit 1 and unit 2. I guess. XD
It has got more maths in it! I can't get my head around enthalpy change in 2 though..argh. I find it more interesting, but it's definitely harder for me. d:
Reply 18
Original post by LauraRD
I think the subject I'm worrying about most is Spanish, the least is Art since there isn't really an exam. n_n

Yup, Chem is pretty hard for me too atm. :/ What board are you on? Idk, I call it unit 1 and unit 2. I guess. XD
It has got more maths in it! I can't get my head around enthalpy change in 2 though..argh. I find it more interesting, but it's definitely harder for me. d:

ah a language must be tough :s-smilie: I'm worrying about chem the most, but feeling alright about maths and that :smile:

ah i'm on the welsh board, wjec but i think all the boards are pretty similar :L
ah yeah we've done that! i don't think for me its getting my head around anything..its just learning it all, theres soooo much work to learn haha!
Reply 19
ah a language must be tough :s-smilie: I'm worrying about chem the most, but feeling alright about maths and that :smile:

ah i'm on the welsh board, wjec but i think all the boards are pretty similar :L
ah yeah we've done that! i don't think for me its getting my head around anything..its just learning it all, theres soooo much work to learn haha!

Well, don't worry you'll be fine! Ohhh you're lucky you didn't do Biology then, ahaha.

Yay, the e-mail got herreee, I was wondering when it would aahaha. It looks funnnn! Hopefully I'll come out of it with more of an idea of which bit of science I want to go into.. (:

Quick Reply

Latest