The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Again, a lot of people who didn't live on the Vale would probably disagree! Obviously there is the differences in travelling to uni, as people there may choose to opt for the train or bus to speed things up, but it can easily be argued that they have a better community feel.
It's certainly detrimental to imply people need to live on the Vale in their first year, as this can foster panic when the majority of first years aren't actually placed there (obviously not all opt for it anyway).

As I've already mentioned, QHC suffers a bit due to being a mixed university accommodation, but the other off UoB halls not on the Vale (or Pritchatts etc) it is not so. In the same way the halls on the Vale have a residents association who put on events that you've just mentioned, so do the non Vale halls. As well as this, the community atmosphere tends to be more close-knit given you're not just a face in a crowd of thousands.

Obviously I'm not saying that you're wrong in feeling you had a good experience on the Vale, but its important to point out that this feeling is pretty reliant on you having lived there.
When it comes to finding coursemates in these smaller halls, of course its "less likely" that you'll come into contact with them immediately, but its pretty much certain that there are a good number there as well (unless you're on a very small course). I know some halls managed to get people of similar courses talking before they had moved in, so there really is no issue with this.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 41
I live in Hunter Court which is one of the furthest out private halls, all UoB students. It's a well known cliché that students are often disappointed when allocated Hunter because they think that they are going to miss out on social activities etc but end up being very happy about it after all!

In my experience you don't miss out on much tbh, there's a good budget for hall activities, we all socialize a lot, there's a flat party pretty much every night, and for big events there are usually coaches provided, e.g. for Carnage etc.

There are pluses and minuses to all the halls - for instance Hunter has shops and an Aldi and a pub directly opposite. It's also closer to town where most of the big nights out are.

One of the pluses of smaller halls is as mentioned too that they are closer knit - it's actually easier to meet people.
does anyone know how easy it is to find a part-time job in Birmingham? :smile:
Reply 43
Got an offer to study medicine. Which village would be best for me and which halls are the best?
Reply 44
Hi !
I'm starting the graduate llb course in september 2012, which hall would you advise me ?
I'll be 21 and I'm afraid to be surrounded only by 18 years-old ..
I'd prefer to be with people of my age.

Thank you:smile:
Reply 45
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
does anyone know how easy it is to find a part-time job in Birmingham? :smile:

Fairly easy! I'm a 2nd year student juggling 3 jobs at the moment.That may seem like a lot of work, but I really enjoy them and they don't demand any particular amount of hours, so I just work when it's convenient.

Since Birmingham is obviously the 2nd biggest city, there are a lot of businesses in the area and in the centre. On campus, the Guild of Students employs a lot of student staff, and there are a number of part time work opportunities with the university as well.
The Guild also has the Job Zone, which lists job vacancies in the area.
Both the jobs with the Guild, university, and ones listed by the Job Zone are "student-friendly" in that they don't ask for more than 16 hours a week maximum, and the employers are expecting students, so tend to be more understanding when you can't work as long come holiday/exam period.

Original post by os93
Got an offer to study medicine. Which village would be best for me and which halls are the best?

Pritchatts Park is the nearest village to the medical school, and that has 4 halls on it, but there are medics in pretty much all of the halls. You're best looking at whether you want the added benefit of living in one of the Pritchatts Park halls over the Vale or any of the others, in terms of distance, as well as the facilities that come with them.
Apply as soon as possible to get the best chance of getting your preferred choice, then come on the Living Taster Day and have a look around them, which may help you confirm your choices.
Reply 46
Does anyone know what sort of timetable the Childhood, Culture and Education is? :smile:
Original post by uob
Fairly easy! I'm a 2nd year student juggling 3 jobs at the moment.That may seem like a lot of work, but I really enjoy them and they don't demand any particular amount of hours, so I just work when it's convenient.

Since Birmingham is obviously the 2nd biggest city, there are a lot of businesses in the area and in the centre. On campus, the Guild of Students employs a lot of student staff, and there are a number of part time work opportunities with the university as well.
The Guild also has the Job Zone, which lists job vacancies in the area.
Both the jobs with the Guild, university, and ones listed by the Job Zone are "student-friendly" in that they don't ask for more than 16 hours a week maximum, and the employers are expecting students, so tend to be more understanding when you can't work as long come holiday/exam period.

wicked! I've never had a part-time job (not through lack of trying, I live in a little town that dont like hiring girls with piercings it seems hehe) but I'd like the extra income when I'm living by myself tbh :smile:
Reply 48
Hi everyone!

Got an offer for Strategic Marketing and Consulting MSc next September.

Regarding accomodation, does anyone know and have an opinion about Greenfield Crescent or Jennens Court?

What are the most suitable accomodation for graduates?
Reply 49
Original post by JmMelo
Hi everyone!

Got an offer for Strategic Marketing and Consulting MSc next September.

Regarding accomodation, does anyone know and have an opinion about Greenfield Crescent or Jennens Court?

What are the most suitable accomodation for graduates?

Those two hall aren't for University of Birmingham students; I think they're for BCU.

Traditionally Jarratt Hall has been favoured by international students and postgraduates so is away from the drunk 18 year olds, but I think they're trying to change that now. You may want to ring/email the accommodation services and ask for some advice on where they feel will be ideal for graduates this next year, as anything we'd say is obviously based on previous years
Reply 50
Original post by mamoi
Hi !
I'm starting the graduate llb course in september 2012, which hall would you advise me ?
I'll be 21 and I'm afraid to be surrounded only by 18 years-old ..
I'd prefer to be with people of my age.

Thank you:smile:

I'd suggest Victoria Hall - lots of 2nd and final year undergrads live there, as well as lots of postgrads. Alternatively, Jarratt Hall is often used by postgrads, although it houses lots of international students from all years too. They are both quieter than the Vale (wouldn't recommend that for graduates!).

Have you thought about private accommodation? There are lots of people looking for an extra housemate.
Reply 51
Original post by etwas

I'd suggest Victoria Hall - lots of 2nd and final year undergrads live there, as well as lots of postgrads. Alternatively, Jarratt Hall is often used by postgrads, although it houses lots of international students from all years too. They are both quieter than the Vale (wouldn't recommend that for graduates!).

Have you thought about private accommodation? There are lots of people looking for an extra housemate.

Ok thank you for your answer ! I think I'll pick Victoria Hall. And thank god you warned me about the Vale as I was going to pick Mason ... !!!! :rolleyes:
Reply 52
Original post by mamoi
Ok thank you for your answer ! I think I'll pick Victoria Hall. And thank god you warned me about the Vale as I was going to pick Mason ... !!!! :rolleyes:

There are some postgraduate and mature students who live on the Vale, particularly Mason, as there are some (albeit much more expensive) apartments at the top of each of the blocks. These tend to be out of the financial reaches of most undergraduates.
Reply 53
Original post by uob
There are some postgraduate and mature students who live on the Vale, particularly Mason, as there are some (albeit much more expensive) apartments at the top of each of the blocks. These tend to be out of the financial reaches of most undergraduates.

Well apartments are too expensive for me.
It's really hard to choose !

Thank you for your answer:wink:
Reply 54
Original post by FDCR
I live in Hunter Court which is one of the furthest out private halls, all UoB students. It's a well known cliché that students are often disappointed when allocated Hunter because they think that they are going to miss out on social activities etc but end up being very happy about it after all!

In my experience you don't miss out on much tbh, there's a good budget for hall activities, we all socialize a lot, there's a flat party pretty much every night, and for big events there are usually coaches provided, e.g. for Carnage etc.

There are pluses and minuses to all the halls - for instance Hunter has shops and an Aldi and a pub directly opposite. It's also closer to town where most of the big nights out are.

One of the pluses of smaller halls is as mentioned too that they are closer knit - it's actually easier to meet people.

Fellow Hunter here...

Would defo recommend putting Hunter Court on your app. list... it has a reputation (for a reason) amongst other halls as being one of the best for social life etc.
Reply 55
Original post by uob
Those two hall aren't for University of Birmingham students; I think they're for BCU.

Traditionally Jarratt Hall has been favoured by international students and postgraduates so is away from the drunk 18 year olds, but I think they're trying to change that now. You may want to ring/email the accommodation services and ask for some advice on where they feel will be ideal for graduates this next year, as anything we'd say is obviously based on previous years

Don't quote me on this, but apparently either Aitken or Chelwood (I forget which) is going to be ENTIRELY post-grad. Maybe look into that?
Original post by Big_Hater
Don't quote me on this, but apparently either Aitken or Chelwood (I forget which) is going to be ENTIRELY post-grad. Maybe look into that?

I think it may be Chelwood, as I have friends in Aitken. I think that sounds about right; I'm a first year and have never come across anyone living in Chelwood!
Reply 57
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
I think it may be Chelwood, as I have friends in Aitken. I think that sounds about right; I'm a first year and have never come across anyone living in Chelwood!

I have two undergrad mates in Chelwood :tongue:
Reply 58
What social ?

BU's union - " guild " are infamous for their couldn't give 2 %^&* about students apart from election time.

The worst case of blatant selfish, cowardly hijacking of facilities meant for all; for the use of political wannabes.

Been like that for years and encouraged by the Admin. PUI !
Reply 59
Original post by Txi
What social ?

BU's union - " guild " are infamous for their couldn't give 2 %^&* about students apart from election time.

The worst case of blatant selfish, cowardly hijacking of facilities meant for all; for the use of political wannabes.

Been like that for years and encouraged by the Admin. PUI !

This is rather confusing. The Guild are pretty good in general in terms of their efforts in improving social life at uni. What do you feel is lacking?

Quick Reply