The Student Room Group

Official 2012 Biochemistry Applicants*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wales1994
I have been offereed a place at Bristol, Leicester, Queen Mary (London) and Nottingham. My final choice is Imperial college. I am yet to have a desicion from them and was wondering if anybody else is waiting for a desicion from Imperial to study Biochem? Also, does anybody know how late they actually make desicions? Meaning how late will I get an offer/rejection?

I got my Imperial offer at the start of January, but no news is good news, I suppose.
Reply 301
Congratulations, what was the offer they made you?
Congratulations, what was the offer they made you?

3As but I declined because apparently the social life at Imperial is pretty poor from what I've heard.
Reply 303
Oh where have you decided to go then?
Oh where have you decided to go then?

My firm is Cambridge and insurance is Manchester. Think I kind of regret not making Bristol my insurance but hopefully it won't come to that.
Reply 305
out of interest if you apply for biochem at imperial do they interview you ?
Reply 306
Original post by kbountra
Nottingham
+ really good campus, traditional halls style of accommodation, course allows you to take pure chemistry modules
- were asking for BBB last year, lower in the rankings than sheffield, some of the student rooms are too dark and need improvement.

Sheffield
+ student oriented city, large modern student villages, top student union in country, ranked 3rd for Biochem, first year is broad molecular bioscience based and you can switch to a different course in the department if your interests change. Nobel prize winners (including Lord Krebs) have worked in the department which adds to the prestige and each year we get a lot of famous guest lecturers (e.g. Ada Yonath/Sir Alec Jeffreys) in.
- course could have a higher chemistry content, the hills are a bit annoying too

thanks for the reply... im still finding it hard to decided though hahaha. after some research for the past few weeks i seem to be pulled towards nottingham for some reason... any other advice would be nice :biggrin:
Original post by chan3002
thanks for the reply... im still finding it hard to decided though hahaha. after some research for the past few weeks i seem to be pulled towards nottingham for some reason... any other advice would be nice :biggrin:

That's cool- I found Nottingham to be pretty good too and I'm sure you'd do well there. What other stuff would you like to know?
Original post by kimmey
out of interest if you apply for biochem at imperial do they interview you ?

Not this year, nor the last.
Narrowed it down to Cardiff and Bath for Biochem (with industrial year) but can't choose?! Anyone got any advice about which would be a better choice?
Reply 310
Original post by bamartin66
Narrowed it down to Cardiff and Bath for Biochem (with industrial year) but can't choose?! Anyone got any advice about which would be a better choice?

Just go to whichever one feels better to you, have you been to open days and stuff? Look at the courses as well, they're really important when making your decision, and the courses can differ significantly between universities. If you still can't decide, then choose Bath because it's viewed as better by employers and peers and stuff.
Original post by ZeddyBear
Just go to whichever one feels better to you, have you been to open days and stuff? Look at the courses as well, they're really important when making your decision, and the courses can differ significantly between universities. If you still can't decide, then choose Bath because it's viewed as better by employers and peers and stuff.

Thank you! Had another look through the course structures and it really helped. Yeah going to an offer holder open day at Bath on Wednesday, so going to make my decision then but I think it's going to be Bath :smile:
Reply 312
Originally Posted by bamartin66

Got exactly the same choice to make here as well! Bath is riding high at the moment in its general status and has always been a well-respected university. Plus, it's a lovely campus, and if you find Bath itself dull or unattractive then frankly, there is no hope for you. Cardiff might not look quite as thrilling, but bear in mind it has *two* Nobel Prize-winners in its Biochemistry dept (how many places can you name outside an Ivy League university with that sort of claim?) and its research status is likely to soar in the next research assessment exercise (bear in mind the current RAE figures are for 2000-2007, which is like prehistory in the biological sciences these days). Cardiff probably wins out in terms of research, but equally, you've got to enjoy your time at uni or you won't get the most out of your studies, and Bath looks a nicer place to live. Decisions, decisions ...
Reply 313
Original post by bamartin66
Thank you! Had another look through the course structures and it really helped. Yeah going to an offer holder open day at Bath on Wednesday, so going to make my decision then but I think it's going to be Bath :smile:

No problemo. I've firmed Bath now, so hopefully I'll see you there in September:biggrin:
Offer from University of Birmingham for Medical Biochemistry! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 315
Got my proper offer from Sheffield today! Exciting, I'm pretty sure I want to go ther now!
Original post by ZeddyBear
No problemo. I've firmed Bath now, so hopefully I'll see you there in September:biggrin:

Same! Went back for the open day and remembered how much I wanted to go there! Fingers crossed, see you in September :biggrin:
I've had offers from:
York -Biochemistry
Leicester - Medical biochemistry
UEA - Biomedicine
Nottingham - Biochemistry
Kent - (insurance uni) biomedicine

I am finding it rather difficult to decide my firm choice, any suggestions?
Reply 318
Original post by jadwigahayley
I've had offers from:
York -Biochemistry
Leicester - Medical biochemistry
UEA - Biomedicine
Nottingham - Biochemistry
Kent - (insurance uni) biomedicine

I am finding it rather difficult to decide my firm choice, any suggestions?

which ones have you been to out of your selection? :smile: when i went to universitys i just got a 'feeling' like when i knew i wanted to be there or, for example, notts, i just felt like it was all very nice and i couldn't tell you what it was i didn't like it just didn't seem like where i wanted to be :smile:
Anyone here definitely firmed Sheffield?

Quick Reply

Latest