The Student Room Group

Do Oxford see module grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSRavenclaw
If you have an A-level grade that is certified, do you have to declare the individual modules? I.e if you have an A* in Maths do you have to state the module grades, for instance: C1: A, C2: B etc etc

Entering unit or module details for AS or A levels is optional - check the Entry Profiles in Course Search to see if universities want your units or module results and add them if they do.

from http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/education/quals#gce
No, you just declare the overall grade. Adding individual module scores and/or grades is optional but some universities do ask for these even if they are un-certified. Check when you apply, I know Bath asks for such thing and be aware that some universities also ask for additional information after you apply. Off the top of my head UCL and LSE both ask for UMS grades and additional information for some courses.
Reply 201
So if they don't see UMS marks do they see the individual module grades you got in AS?
Reply 202
My school decides to "cash in" AS grades (not actually sure what that means) but will it affect whether or not I have to put down individual module ums grades?
Reply 203
or any ums grades for that matter? xD
Reply 204
Slightly off topic...but with AABB at AS would you even bother applying?
Reply 205
Do you confirm me, so, that Oxford hasn't any other material to judge, apart from what I (and my teacher) write in the UCAS form?
Original post by uttamo
So if they don't see UMS marks do they see the individual module grades you got in AS?

In the UCAS form there's the option to put down all your modules/units and the particular grade you achieved for each. I don't think it's compulsory, but some may say that leaving them out would suggest that you have something to hide. For instance, if you were say to include module marks for Maths (for example), but not Chemistry - they could possibly think that you messed up somewhere in Chemistry, and are trying to hide it from the tutors.
To be safe, I'd either include module/unit marks for all your subjects, or none at all. I'd always ask with a teacher (etc.) that may be helping you with your application though. They're most likely to be able to offer you the best advice.

Original post by Bevanite
Slightly off topic...but with AABB at AS would you even bother applying?

There's no reason why having AABB at AS would mean that you shouldn't apply. If you have strong GCSE grades, and have a passion for your subject that you can portray well in your personal statement, then it's worth a shot. In any case, if you feel like you don't need all five of your university choices, and would like to at least try to apply to Oxford, then I'd recommend that you do. At least then you can't say you didn't try! If you do apply, there's the chance that you might be offered a place, regardless of your little slip-up at AS.

However, you should note that your chances of an offer will be less if your weaker grades are in the subjects that are the most relevant for the degree. For instance, getting a B at AS in a language when you're applying for a Science degree is unlikely to affect the likelihood of a rejection, however if it were in Chemistry it may be more of a problem.

Original post by Tratto
Do you confirm me, so, that Oxford hasn't any other material to judge, apart from what I (and my teacher) write in the UCAS form?

The tutors at Oxford will only have the information that you and your referee give them. Therefore if there is any additional information that you would like to disclose to them that you can't find a place for in your personal statement, it may be worth asking your referee to try and include it somewhere in your reference.

Original post by crew.m
My school decides to "cash in" AS grades (not actually sure what that means) but will it affect whether or not I have to put down individual module ums grades?

From what I understand, if your AS grades are cashed in, you need to include them in your application.
In the case that your grades have been cashed in, it isn't necessary to include your module grades, but you may want to if they are particularly strong.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by brendan.
In the UCAS form there's the option to put down all your modules/units and the particular grade you achieved for each.

I'm probably going to seem like an idiot, but where is the option exactly?

Is it on the reference or where you enter each qualification?
Original post by Americaniamh
I'm probably going to seem like an idiot, but where is the option exactly?

Is it on the reference or where you enter each qualification?

You can put them where you enter your qualifications. After you've specified your course and grade, there should also be the option to add module titles and grades for these also. (It was like that two years ago anyway, but I'm not sure whether it would have changed this year.)

You could also have particular marks for modules included in your reference if they are strong, and your referee agrees to include them.
Reply 209
I'm applying to study Medicine at St Annes, but my AS grades aren't up to scratch- I got As in Biology and Maths, and Bs in Chemistry (OOPS) and Spanish. I'm dropping Spanish.

My Chemistry module grades are:
Unit 1: A
Unit 2: C
Unit 3: B

Unfortunately year 12 wasn't an easy year for me, due to some mitigating circumstances which will be mentioned in my reference, and this was the main contributor to my Bs.

I am resitting Unit 2 Chemistry (hopefully pull it up to a high A) and I am predicted A*(Biol) AA (Maths and Chemistry) for A2.

Initially I only put my overall AS grades on the UCAS form, but as I was discussing it with a teacher, he told me I should put my module grades on too so it doesn't look like I'm hiding anything.

I understand what he means but would it be more risky for me to put my modules down due to the C in unit 2 chemistry? It looks so bad!

I got 10A* at GCSE so would that help to show that I have the potential to do well academically?

I'm really worried.... I really want to have a shot at Oxford but I'm not sure if I am punching above my weight :frown: Please help! My UCAS has to be sent off by Wednesday!
Reply 210
Original post by ogioh
Ok so I get that they don't really care for UMS, but do they still care for repeats?
I'll be applying with my full A2s but if I meet the minimum requirements will they care that I haven't got an A in every module, I'm only asking because if they don't really care how you get them it would save me a few tests in June. (some of my module results are dire but there have been extenuating circumstances).

Also, my exams officer told me that Uni's get the full printout from the exam boards, so they will know your individual module results anyway, you can't hide them.

They will only know your module grades if you tell them on your UCAS application. My school made us put all of our module grades down, but it is not essential.
The university will get the A Level results at the end, with your module grades, but not before they give you an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest