The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL A-Level Mathematics Revision HELP :(

Hi,

I am an A2 Maths student and I have done quite badly recently :frown:

Got B for C1 (Resit), C for S1 (Resit) and C for C3 (First Time Round).

Now I realise that I have to resit all three in the summer alongside with S2 and C4.

As a result, I am feeling very depressed.

What can I do to get all 'A's within the next two months, because the days are going by really quickly :frown:.

Would appreciate it if someone could give me some advice.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by exam2k10
Hi,

Now I realise that I have to resit all three in the summer alongside with S2 and C4.

What can I do to get all 'A's within the next two months, because the days are going by really quickly :frown:.

Thanks

I would suggest doing every single past paper you can get your hands on. Also do other boards eg AQA ones, so you are prepared for questions with a different structure to the previous papers as I think this can catch people out a lot.

Some of the text books have examples from different boards too, so try those.

The biggest challenge is trying to keep in mind all topics they have covered so you recognise when a question is asking you to use various bits of knowledge at once eg differentiation and trig identities.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks

Just do a lot alot of papers as clownfish already said. If you're doing the edexcel course then try doing more solomon papers. they make the edexcel ones look really easy. Just keep practising. When you finish a topic and you think you're awesome at it don't ignore it at all. Keep practising and you'll get there :smile:

Try this site it might help;
http://mathsrevision.net/alevel/pure/

If you have any questions ask friends, teachers, ask people on here even! I'd love to help with anything I can.
Don't worry about the time so long as you don't waste it. You'll do fine *thumbs up*
Good luck!
peace xo
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Do as many past papers as you can.
Mark it...the ones you got wrong see EXACTLY what theyre looking for. Then go on examsolutions and see how to work it out. Thats what helped me :smile:
Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by jerichi
Just do a lot alot of papers as clownfish already said. If you're doing the edexcel course then try doing more solomon papers. they make the edexcel ones look really easy. Just keep practising. When you finish a topic and you think you're awesome at it don't ignore it at all. Keep practising and you'll get there :smile:

Try this site it might help;
http://mathsrevision.net/alevel/pure/

If you have any questions ask friends, teachers, ask people on here even! I'd love to help with anything I can.
Don't worry about the time so long as you don't waste it. You'll do fine *thumbs up*
Good luck!
peace xo

Thanks for the motivation :biggrin:.

Problem is, now I have 5 maths modules in the summer :frown:.
Reply 5
Original post by maleeha95
Do as many past papers as you can.
Mark it...the ones you got wrong see EXACTLY what theyre looking for. Then go on examsolutions and see how to work it out. Thats what helped me :smile:
Good luck

That is my revision tactic :biggrin: it doesn't work too well though if you have no clue where you get differential equations from a worded problem on C4 though :L it's the only time the system failed me D:
Reply 6

I had that last year :wink: this time round I will have 7 its ok really because some of the content in the exams over lap so your revising for other exams at the same time :smile:
Reply 7

Don't worry about it! I know exactly how you feel. I just did C1 and C2 in Jan and I now have S1, M1, C3 and C4 to do in May so really don't worry about it. And keep practising!! :biggrin:
xo
Practice. If you are able to do every single past paper with some extra solomon press papers between now and the exam for every unit, you'll be n the right track to get a good grade.
Reply 9
I hate trig so much too!
Sadly, I also have to re-take C3!

Do you have any websites that take you back to basics for trig; any would be good :P

thank you ;D
As everyone else said, PAST PAPERS, AFTER PAST PAPERS, AFTER PAST PAPERS.

The type of questions that come up each year are practically the same so if you can tackle some of the harder questions on the past papers you won't feel so freaked out in the exam.

I also learnt all the formulae off-by-heart which made it much easier in the exam as I didn't have to flick back and forth each time I was answering a question..

Also, if there's a particular topic you don't like/understand (TRIG TRIG TRIG) I would go over the chapter in the book and answer all the questions again... this can be tedious but once you refresh your memory it's much easier when you go to answer any exam questions.

Hope my advice helped?

Good Luck!
Reply 11
Original post by JordanS94
That is my revision tactic :biggrin: it doesn't work too well though if you have no clue where you get differential equations from a worded problem on C4 though :L it's the only time the system failed me D:

lol
well i cant say anything to that because ive only done C1 yet :s
The only thing I can say is that to be able to do all that you need focus and to focus, well, you need to minimise stress.
Dont ruin anything for anyone.
Random, but nowadays most people are selfish. If u think anyones affecting ur studies, kick them outta ur life...well until exam seasons over :tongue:
Reply 12
Would you say it is advisable to do all the worked examples and mixed exercises in the book?

Also, would it be advisible to finish the C4 and S2 content by the end of next week, so that I can start doing past papers during the Easter break?
Reply 13
Original post by BOGEYMAN123456789
go here it might be good http://paperbank.hourb.com/ for past paper

Reply 14
Also how shall I use my time?

Is it wise to finish the module content of S2, S1 (Resit, but I want to do the exercises in the book properly) & C4, and then start doing papers for C1, S1, S2 as they are the first exams and then do past papers for C3 & C4 in the 18 days after the S2 exam???

Quick Reply

Latest