The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I may be joining this thread soon, I'm on my last chance.
Reply 21
Original post by Dr.Acula
Congratulations! I hope to God I'm in a similar position to yours this time next year. The whole 'Unconditional' offer is the only thing keeping me going right now. Though, knowing me, I probably fall at the first hurdle and end up getting AAB in my A-Levels or something. Argh, so hard to stay optimistic! Must be such a good feeling though, you're definitely going to med school later this year. Congrats again. :smile:

It is a very good feeling - I never expected to be in this position when I posted in the 2012 reapplicants thread... So yeah, good luck :biggrin: And don't forget to enjoy yourselves :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Insanity514
I may be joining this thread soon, I'm on my last chance.

Best of luck, hope you get some good news soon! When are you expecting to hear back from Leicester?
Original post by Dr.Acula
Best of luck, hope you get some good news soon! When are you expecting to hear back from Leicester?

Cheers! By the end of march I think.
Is everyone here al school leavers, any graduate entry hopefuls?
Reply 25
I am officially on this thread now... :frown:

Are there any points to try to improve my GCSEs?

I have 3 rejections without interview .. although I have 9 A*s at GCSE... so, I think there must be something wrong with my application since I don't even any an interview for 3 of them.

Do universities look at the gcses achieved after Year 11?

thanks!
Reply 26
Original post by leezee

I have 3 rejections without interview .. although I have 9 A*s at GCSE... so, I think there must be something wrong with my application since I don't even any an interview for 3 of them.

thanks!

I don't see how it's possible to improve your GCSEs, you have 9A*s. I highly doubt that the problem was with your GCSEs, I only got 2 A*s and yet I had an interview at Manchester this year (which I royally screwed up thanks to my nerves getting the better of me). It was probably more to do with your UKCAT/BMAT/PS, and also where you applied. Try and focus on those, apply smart and you will definitely have a high chance of getting an interview this year (I think Kings love GCSEs, there's a few others as well but I can't remember them). Best of luck this year.
when's the best time to start applying for hca jobs? anyone started applying?
Guess I'll be joining this thread now :redface:

Rejections from Leicester, Keele, Leeds and Soton, the former 3 pre-interview, and Soton don't even interview :frown:

Guess I'll be looking for some sort of a job in the summer holidays + the following year :redface:

Might even do an OU module or two, so I don't completely lose touch with science :tongue:
Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
when's the best time to start applying for hca jobs? anyone started applying?

I want to know this too. There are a couple of hca jobs available where I live but since I'm in school atm I can't apply yet.
I think due to the crb, nhs, I'll apply around end of may :yes:
Original post by leezee

thanks!

well medicine is more than just grades...i know several people with straight A*, but got rejected, how about PS? How you came across in interview? other stuff like ukcat, out of school hobbies, plus it has to sound sincere, rather than a list!
if youre considering a gap year and reapplying, defo find your weakest point and improve and im sure youll be fine next year as they say grades are the hardest bit and youve got them :smile: good luck?
Reply 31
Looks like I will be joining this soon. Only 1 chance left.

Going to continue working as a HCA, and possibly go volunteer somewhere more.
Reply 32
I got a maybe for some work experience at my local hospital this summer. Received an email saying that a placement will be confirmed nearer the time. Things are looking a little better! Also started doing some serious revision today - first things first, need those 3 As. I'm probably gonna start applying for HCA jobs after exams (they end on 15th June). Hopefully, I'll be able to start working before I have to send my UCAS application off in October.
Reply 33
Original post by Slavivlad
Looks like I will be joining this soon. Only 1 chance left.

Going to continue working as a HCA, and possibly go volunteer somewhere more.

Best of luck, hope you get some good news from your last choice. :smile:
Reply 34
Good luck to all of you!

Some general advice that I found awesome is:

UKCAT: Kaplan - expensive but they really helped me. I have no experience of their BMAT course so I wouldn't recommend it but UKCAT defo!

ISC Medical Schools interview book

Focus on your strengths even within your application. Apply to universities which complement the strongest parts of your application be them GCSEs or A levels or UKCAT or personal statement etc.
hi guys! im actually feeling quite good about taking a gap year now. i've already started more volunteering with the red cross as an events first aider instead of just teaching basic firts aid in primary schools (i have wednesday afternoons as free periods so ive been doing it then) but it seems quite cool cause you have the chance to volunteer for some of the bigger music festivals in summer too, so free music in between holding sick buckets! jobs wise id like one as an HCA but i want to use this as an opportunity to travel next summer (three weeks round europe, three in thailand and three in tanzania) but i need a hefty sum of money to fund this so ill be taking whatever full time job i can get cause i need £5000 from somewhere, and i can always volunteer in evenings to get more experience in care :smile:

does anyone know anything about getting a job as something like a bank HCA? i thought it would be good to be able to start now maybe taking up shifts at weekends to get more experience and hopefully improve my full time job prospects when sumer exams are over but i dont know how to go about it!
Reply 36
Original post by i_hate_ucas
hi guys! im actually feeling quite good about taking a gap year now. i've already started more volunteering with the red cross as an events first aider instead of just teaching basic firts aid in primary schools (i have wednesday afternoons as free periods so ive been doing it then) but it seems quite cool cause you have the chance to volunteer for some of the bigger music festivals in summer too, so free music in between holding sick buckets! jobs wise id like one as an HCA but i want to use this as an opportunity to travel next summer (three weeks round europe, three in thailand and three in tanzania) but i need a hefty sum of money to fund this so ill be taking whatever full time job i can get cause i need £5000 from somewhere, and i can always volunteer in evenings to get more experience in care :smile:

does anyone know anything about getting a job as something like a bank HCA? i thought it would be good to be able to start now maybe taking up shifts at weekends to get more experience and hopefully improve my full time job prospects when sumer exams are over but i dont know how to go about it!

Getting a job as a bank HCA is a great idea, but it takes quite a bit of waiting for them to get through the paperwork/CRB/references etc. Take me for example, I applied for a bank HCA job in June/July, didn't start it until January. But it's worth trying.
So, does anyone know whether we can use some 'decent' bits of our current (unsuccessful :rant:) personal statements?

Like may be a sentence or two, or will it get flagged up by the UCAS plagiarism checker?
Reply 38
Original post by thegodofgod
So, does anyone know whether we can use some 'decent' bits of our current (unsuccessful :rant:) personal statements?

Like may be a sentence or two, or will it get flagged up by the UCAS plagiarism checker?

You can use as much of your old PS as you like (though it'd probably be best to change it as much as you can). This is what it says on the UCAS website:

Yes, you can use a statement from a previous application provided the original was all your own work. Our similarity service ignores all matches where the name and date of birth of the applicant are the same. The service will highlight similarities with your previous statement, but it will recognise it as your own and therefore not alert a match. The service will scan your new statement for matches with other sources already in our library, such as books, web-pages, and other students' statements.

I worked really hard on my PS, not at all looking forward to writing a new one. I have no idea where to start. >_<
Reply 39
hi guys, im a successful reapplicant for 2012 entry. i made a silly error this year which nearly cost me my whole application-which was that my a levels( i have 4 A*s in maths bio chem and furthermaths), 2 of my choices rejected me coz they dont accept further maths and they needed a different 4th AS level. so just double check that- i cant believe i made such a stupid mistake tbh.
I also applied to the republic of ireland, tuition fees are only £2000 a year. They have some amazing universities - trinity college dublin being one of them (it is known as the oxbridge of ireland). I would say if you really want to study medicine apply there- but only do so if you have 4 A levels which are really strong eg. 3 or 4 A*s otherwise you stand no chance really. They only use A levels and a score from their entrance exam- theres no personal statement or interview. It is called the HPAT (which you have to sit in ireland), you should check it out. I found the exam much better than the ukcat and bmat. Application deadline for this year was february so im guessing it would be the same for next year. I have an offer from an england medical school but i mite go to ireland if my hpat is good enough- i find out end of april.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending