The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3900
I'm in Durham at the moment, and sent an e-mail to Van Mildert approximately two weeks ago about whether I could visit the college, but haven't received a reply. Do you know whether it'd still be possible for me to go and see the premises of the college?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Rolina
I'm in Durham at the moment, and sent an e-mail to Van Mildert approximately two weeks ago about whether I could visit the college, but haven't received a reply. Do you know whether it'd still be possible for me to go and see the premises of the college?

Did you e-mail one of the college staff (e.g. admissions tutor)? If you dd, try getting in contact with the student body instead.
http://www.mildert.co.uk/internal/page:contact-info/
Tours & Visits
To arange a tour or visit to Van Mildert College please email Alistair Adam our Senior Freshers' Representative : [email protected]

It's always possible to turn up and walk straight into the main section of Mildert, but you won't get to see much, and it's obviously more awkward if you want to get shown around.
Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me more about Trevs? I mean apart from the usual stuff. Hmm I hear conflicting things about the frequency of formals - How often are they? I am looking forward to it! :-D Everyone's gonna be all dressed up.

I got a place for Law...so I appreciate anything on the subject as well.

TELL ME ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!

Psyched!

Thanks a billion!
Original post by KnottedFingers
Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me more about Trevs? I mean apart from the usual stuff. Hmm I hear conflicting things about the frequency of formals - How often are they? I am looking forward to it! :-D Everyone's gonna be all dressed up.

Psyched!

Thanks a billion!

Formals at Trevs are, on the whole, every other week and alternating Tuesday/Thursday. Though sometimes things get a bit odd when they have application formals (end of term and DUCK basically...Duck being the only fancy dress one of the year) and ball meals (summer ball and informal ball towards the end of 1st term). Basically you can expect around 5 formals per term in the first 2 terms then in the 3rd term there's generally a normal one before exams then in the last 3 weeks we have Trevs Day Formal, Summer Ball and End of Session. There's also one livers-out formal per term.

What else do you want to know about Trevs...it's easier to answer specific questions...but in general it's awesome, everyone's friendly, the accomodation's not bad but equally not the best though our rooms are odd shapes and we have landings rather than corridors to fit with the hexagonal architecture. Our bar's one of the best college bars...it's spacious and has a projector screen showing Sky.
Reply 3904
Original post by Awoodrow2
Did you e-mail one of the college staff (e.g. admissions tutor)? If you dd, try getting in contact with the student body instead.

It's always possible to turn up and walk straight into the main section of Mildert, but you won't get to see much, and it's obviously more awkward if you want to get shown around.

Thank you for your useful advice! I contacted the student body and got myself a tour arranged. :smile:
Hello! Can you tell me anything about st Mary's re formals, traditions, locations ect ? :smile:
Original post by purple-girl
What else do you want to know about Trevs...it's easier to answer specific questions...but in general it's awesome, everyone's friendly, the accomodation's not bad but equally not the best though our rooms are odd shapes and we have landings rather than corridors to fit with the hexagonal architecture. Our bar's one of the best college bars...it's spacious and has a projector screen showing Sky.

Well, it did have a projector screen showing Sky, but it turns out that the projector bulb has blown and isn't owned by the bar, so the bar steward has absolutely no interest in fixing it, and it's not directly anyone's' responsibility. But I think that's going to be sorted out soonish...
Original post by hypercaine.
Im a Cuths student, not there at the minute but when I went to March open day I never stopped overnight or at least not in the college. I actually didnt arrive until very late at night on the first day and the following day there were a few tours around the buildings and a talk in the dining hall, I kinda felt like id already been assigned to Cuth's (I actually applied there, not many people can say that!) so I couldnt really do anything if I didnt like it anyway! Its only worth it to see the rooms you might be living in (since Cuth's have a few choices).

Ok, thanks...but I probably e-mail them or something because I have no idea when all those things start, I am pretty sure its not enclosed in the info..or if it is, i cant see it lol :////
Wait wait, formals = or =/= Gents in a bow tie, ladies in gowns? :confused:

I was actually really looking forward to castle/ castle-ish campus. I dig the whole cobblestones, windy corridors, ancient architecture etc...I guess I can't really find that in Trevs? Then again, it's reputed to be one of the more "traditional" colleges?

What's the student demographic like? Do people from all races get along ? liek seriously :eek:

Thank you. :-D

Original post by purple-girl
Formals at Trevs are, on the whole, every other week and alternating Tuesday/Thursday. Though sometimes things get a bit odd when they have application formals (end of term and DUCK basically...Duck being the only fancy dress one of the year) and ball meals (summer ball and informal ball towards the end of 1st term). Basically you can expect around 5 formals per term in the first 2 terms then in the 3rd term there's generally a normal one before exams then in the last 3 weeks we have Trevs Day Formal, Summer Ball and End of Session. There's also one livers-out formal per term.

Can anyone tell me about Stephenson College? Please? anything?
Original post by helen.x
Also if anyone does Law could you please tell me a bit about the course and if you enjoy it?

Hi everyone!

Psyched!

Thanks a billion!

Hi, I'm a first year studying Law at Van Mildert college, so feel free to direct any questions you have about the course my way. x
Wait wait, formals = or =/= Gents in a bow tie, ladies in gowns? :confused:

I was actually really looking forward to castle/ castle-ish campus. I dig the whole cobblestones, windy corridors, ancient architecture etc...I guess I can't really find that in Trevs? Then again, it's reputed to be one of the more "traditional" colleges?

What's the student demographic like? Do people from all races get along ? liek seriously :eek:

Thank you. :-D

At Trevs formals are, well, formal :P. The only exception is DUCK formal which is fancy dress and the end of term formals are black tie, so a bit more formal than normal. "Gents in a bow tie, ladies in gowns" is a bit extreme for most formals, most guys wear normal suits and girls tend to wear relatively smart clothes but it varies a lot; some wear dresses they'd probably go out clubbing in, others wear a smart blouse with a skirt/trousers.

Trevs has it's traditions but it can't escape having been built in the 1960s! We don't have the old architecture or cobblestones but you'll get all that wandering round the town centre anyway.

From experience I'd say it's true that there is quite a bias towards "white British" students though the international students who don't keep themselves to themselves tend to fit in well; I've not notices any sort of racism if that's what you're getting at. One of my best friends in first year was an American exchange student who I'm still in contact with (and even met up with in New York briefly when I was there over summer) and I'm also friends with a Mexican guy (though I've seen less of him recently) and know a few other internationals.
Reply 3912
I've got an offer at Durham for natural sciences (hild bede), and it's my second choice, so I might firm, depending on my other offers. I know it's catered, so I was wondering what the selection of vegetarian food is like. I know it seems silly that that's the biggest question I have, but it is what it is. I just don't want to be stuck with really limited options or have to eat the same thing every day.
Original post by smarshy
I've got an offer at Durham for natural sciences (hild bede), and it's my second choice, so I might firm, depending on my other offers. I know it's catered, so I was wondering what the selection of vegetarian food is like. I know it seems silly that that's the biggest question I have, but it is what it is. I just don't want to be stuck with really limited options or have to eat the same thing every day.

I'm at Van Mildert college, but as far as I am aware the food is the same as at Hilde Bede, there are normally 2 vegetarian options and there is always a vegetable soup of some description, lunch they also have baked potatoes and sandwiches. Although I'm not a veggie a couple of my friends are and a couple who arn't eat the veggie option anyway as they say it is better then the normal option. Here is one weeks veggie meals; thin & crispy sun dried tomato and black olive pizza, vegetable bean & cheese burger, sweet potato chilli & coriander enchilada, roast pepper, olive and goats cheese panini, smoked tofu & broccoli stir fry, brunch (includes vegetable grills & quorn sausage) & vegetarian toad in the hole. So there are lots of options. Food is on a three weekly cycle so you shouldn't have limited options or have to eat the same thing every day xxx
can anyone tell me about st marys?? like traditions or events act...?
Reply 3915
Original post by hardy_4_paws
I'm at Van Mildert college, but as far as I am aware the food is the same as at Hilde Bede, there are normally 2 vegetarian options and there is always a vegetable soup of some description, lunch they also have baked potatoes and sandwiches. Although I'm not a veggie a couple of my friends are and a couple who arn't eat the veggie option anyway as they say it is better then the normal option. Here is one weeks veggie meals; thin & crispy sun dried tomato and black olive pizza, vegetable bean & cheese burger, sweet potato chilli & coriander enchilada, roast pepper, olive and goats cheese panini, smoked tofu & broccoli stir fry, brunch (includes vegetable grills & quorn sausage) & vegetarian toad in the hole. So there are lots of options. Food is on a three weekly cycle so you shouldn't have limited options or have to eat the same thing every day xxx

If you want to see the standard menu it is available on both Trev's (http://www.dur.ac.uk/trevelyan.jcr/) and Grey JCR's (http://www.dur.ac.uk/grey.jcr/menu/index.php) websites and changes on a termly basis. Some colleges may have minor changes (e.g. Hatfield has different food to that listed on formal nights, has Friday's dinner on Thursday and has brunch on both Saturday and Sunday with Sunday lunch served for dinner instead).
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi,
I am an A level student and I have an offer to study natural sciences (physical) at Cambridge 2012. I was wondering what pre-university reading I could do, that would relate to the course I am going to study? I am going to do physics, maths (obviously,) chemistry and materials science. I really want to be prepared for university since I am told it is such a big leap up from A-level!
Thank you,
Alex
Reply 3917
Why ask this in the DURHAM forum?
Is there anyone on here who is doing maths and could give me an idea of their views on the course and their typical day/week, it would be much appreciated :smile: Also any views on Josephine Butler college would be great. Thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Dear Friends,
I will be starting MSc Accounting & Finance at Durham Business School.
Can anyone advise me the best accommodation available around it, I'm thinking between St Aidan's and Ustinov?

Which college would be more appropriate and fun?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending