The Student Room Group

Best places to travel to on a gap-year?

OK, so I am considering going on a gap year in some time in the future. I want to basically go crazy!

What countries are best to go to? I would like to get some past experiences.
Reply 1
Original post by Harry1
OK, so I am considering going on a gap year in some time in the future. I want to basically go crazy!

I did China and Mongolia this past summer, absolutely amazing. Horse trekking, Mongolian sports festival (Naadam) and a voluntary project, then visiting the sights in China (Great Wall, Terracotta Warriors and all the places in Beijing.

I also visited Panama (central america) when I was younger, which was mint, but quite a while back now. It really depends what type of travelling you want to do. Hot, cold, trekking, sight-seeing, etc. :smile:
Reply 2
Well I would like it predominantly hot, and I want to just chill on a beach somewhere while all my friends are stuck in Cold England. However, I do want to see some great sights as well, hence why i'm a bit stuck lol.
Reply 3
Backpack Europe and visit the Mediterranean (Spain,Italy, Greece & Greek Islands )
Reply 4
New Zealand is a good all round destination for people on gap years, especially if you're a first time traveller. Lots to see (fjords, amazing beaches, dolphins & whales, mountains, rainforest, volcanoes, penguins, Maori culture, kiwis...etc) and do (bungy jumping, kayaking, glacier walking, skydiving, skiing/snowboarding, hiking, white water rafting, general chilling out on amazing beaches). Plus the transportation options are fantastic - you can rent cars and campervans at 18, there is hop on hop off party buses that take you to the 'main' places, cheap public bus services, trains, hitch-hiking is accepted....Great party destinations if thats what you're afteer (Queenstown!) Did I mention the amazing beaches?

And if you want to make your friends jealous, you can be hanging out on the aforementioned amazing beaches in NZ's summer, which is Dec-Feb....during the UK's winter! Bonus.

You could also get a working holiday visa and prolong your stay with some casual work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Harry1

thailand

Quick Reply

Latest