The Student Room Group

Physics at Sussex vs Royal Holloway

I have an offer from both - RHUL want AAA but Sussex want ABB.
I'm not entirely sure if i'm capable of AAA but I'm willing to try. It makes sense for me to firm RHUL as it's the higher offer, but I just can't decide.
I don't want to overwork myself trying to get AAA and then screw everything up.
I feel like I SHOULD be capable, but I struggle to perform in exams.

What I'm asking is, could current Sussex students explain to me why they chose Sussex? Has it lived up to your expectations?
RHUL students: What is the dept truly like? Is it worth me working so hard to come there?

Any help is appreciated to be honest.
Reply 1
Look, if you think Royal Holloway is going to be better, firm it. The reason UCAS is set up the way it is is so that it allows you to have a fall back. If you are confident of getting ABB and think AAA is possible with hard work, you are better off firming RH, working hard and then just seeing. If you end up with AAB or ABB and don't make it, at least you tried and still ended up at a decent university. What would be worse is if you firmed sussex, got AAA and ended up regretting not firming RH.
Original post by bownessie
Look, if you think Royal Holloway is going to be better, firm it. The reason UCAS is set up the way it is is so that it allows you to have a fall back. If you are confident of getting ABB and think AAA is possible with hard work, you are better off firming RH, working hard and then just seeing. If you end up with AAB or ABB and don't make it, at least you tried and still ended up at a decent university. What would be worse is if you firmed sussex, got AAA and ended up regretting not firming RH.

This is what I'd say as well. I applied to sussex but never visited and never really looked at royal holloway so I can't really offer any insight on which would be better for you.

However, while I'd agree that you shouldn't work your way into depression or anything, you'll need to get used to a higher workload and stress, especially around exams, so don't take the attitude of not wanting to work too hard, it'll only delay a slump in results, and you don't want to be in the position later on in life where you think "if only I worked harder...". Just keep that in mind, and with the insurance choice, if you don't get AAA, it's not really a big deal, you'll still be going to a decent uni
Reply 3
Original post by bownessie
At least you tried and still ended up at a decent university. What would be worse is if you firmed sussex, got AAA and ended up regretting not firming RH.

Thank you so much - this is what I think but am too scared to think it on my own, so having some support it nice. I've also heard that quite a lot of people miss their RH offers and RH still accepts them?
Basically everyone i spoke to on the interview day wasn't even considering firming or insuring RH s here's hoping lol.
Reply 4
Original post by jhtachyons
Thank you so much - this is what I think but am too scared to think it on my own, so having some support it nice. I've also heard that quite a lot of people miss their RH offers and RH still accepts them?
Basically everyone i spoke to on the interview day wasn't even considering firming or insuring RH s here's hoping lol.

I can't speak for RH on accepting people who don't make their offers. Lancaster do that a lot (though I owned my offer :P) and from my experience universities tend to be sensible in the way they operate. If you end up getting AAB and that B is near an A, they may well give you an offer.
The thing is, once you get to university, no-one really cares whether you firmed the place, if you didn't you aren't deamed a faliure and you'll realise that A-levels were just the next step to get your further in your education. Try not to stress too much, don't work yourself too hard because then you'll just be too tired/stressed to do your best work. If you don't get it, you don't get it, but no one who is worth bothering with is going to think less of you because of it.

In terms of the open day, don't bother thinking about what other people were doing. RH offers the course, so there must be enough budding physicists to fill up the course. Plus, open days don't always give the best impression anyway... I thought biology at Lancaster looked great when I came for an open day... I'm now studying history, so don't worry too much lol XD
Original post by jhtachyons

When it comes to results, if they have places left over after they accept everyone who met their offer, and you're close to your offer, then they may well let you in. RH isn't the most competitive uni and so may well drop their requirements slightly on results day for the near misses. I was in clearing after missing my main offers 2 years ago and RH are in there and gave me an offer (I had ABB at A level).

Ultimately it'll come down to how many applications they have this year, and whether they've had more or less places filled than expected. One thing for certain though, is that they'll want to fill all their places, and if you were to miss their offer, then it would be worth contacting them anyway, whether or not they're in clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest