The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Culture, Literature and politics 2012

just thought i would post a thread for anyone who may apply for this course in 2012, or for anyone who is currently on this course!
By the looks of it, its an amazing course although i cant seem to find anyone who is actually doing it which sucks a bit :frown::frown:
still it looks like an amazing course!!
Guy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Guygp
just thought i would post a thread for anyone who may apply for this course in 2012, or for anyone who is currently on this course!
By the looks of it, its an amazing course although i cant seem to find anyone who is actually doing it which sucks a bit :frown::frown:
still it looks like an amazing course!!
Guy

Just cause I saw no-one had replied...

I don't do the course (I do maths :P) but one of my closest friends/housemates does it and she really loved it. She enjoyed it so much she has just graduated with a 2:1 and decided to stay here for a Masters.

She personally did very little literature, swayed more towards the other two. All her modules always seemed really interesting and engaging- I have had many a discussion with her about political theory and also proof read many essays. She also got to do some pretty cool assignments, like one of hers she based on true blood looking at how it linked to real life culture and she's done a bit on social media.

Congrats, I'm sure you'll really enjoy the degree and your time at UEA as a whole ^^
xxx
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
ahh awesome, thanks for letting me know! makes me feel more confident in my decision aha
Reply 3
Original post by kpwxx
Just cause I saw no-one had replied...

I don't do the course (I do maths :P) but one of my closest friends/housemates does it and she really loved it. She enjoyed it so much she has just graduated with a 2:1 and decided to stay here for a Masters.

She personally did very little literature, swayed more towards the other two. All her modules always seemed really interesting and engaging- I have had many a discussion with her about political theory and also proof read many essays. She also got to do some pretty cool assignments, like one of hers she based on true blood looking at how it linked to real life culture and she's done a bit on social media.

Congrats, I'm sure you'll really enjoy the degree and your time at UEA as a whole ^^
xxx

where else did she apply to and what courses as well? if i can ask :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by Guygp
where else did she apply to and what courses as well? if i can ask :smile: x

I will have to ask her and get back to you on that! I know she originally applied for literature courses at other unis, but then changed her mind, took a gap year and applied closer to home and for CLP.

I'm sure she's really happy she changed her mind now as she's loved it. It's kind of weird thinking how she applied for lit and ended up not focussing on that in her degree.

xxx
Reply 5
Original post by kpwxx
I will have to ask her and get back to you on that! I know she originally applied for literature courses at other unis, but then changed her mind, took a gap year and applied closer to home and for CLP.

I'm sure she's really happy she changed her mind now as she's loved it. It's kind of weird thinking how she applied for lit and ended up not focussing on that in her degree.

xxx

well after speaking to a teacher at school about my application, and a ps helper on here, they're all saying it'll be difficult to write an application for this course along with my other choices - all politics courses. I'm really unsure of what to do as i love this course, it seems perfect for me, but i can't find another one similar!
Original post by Guygp

Original post by Guygp
well after speaking to a teacher at school about my application, and a ps helper on here, they're all saying it'll be difficult to write an application for this course along with my other choices - all politics courses. I'm really unsure of what to do as i love this course, it seems perfect for me, but i can't find another one similar!

Why don't you try ringing up UEA and explaining the problem (whilst raving about how fantastic the course is :p:) and see if they'd let you send a separate PS to them for this course? :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Why don't you try ringing up UEA and explaining the problem (whilst raving about how fantastic the course is :p:) and see if they'd let you send a separate PS to them for this course? :dontknow:

how could i have not thought of that! aha that is excellent thank you very much! i'm sure i can win them over some how :colone: aha thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Guygp
how could i have not thought of that! aha that is excellent thank you very much! i'm sure i can win them over some how :colone: aha thanks

xXxBaby-BooxXx gives good advice!

Remember the worst that can happen is they say sorry no then you can go from there. Make sure you're very 'This is what I want to do but my backup options are different as no-one offers a course as perfect as yours!' :P thought don't say anything which sounds too insincere- I can see you really want to do it anyway so your natural enthusiasm should work well!

xxx

EDIT: Oh and I will ask my housemate about her PS, I head back on Sunday so I will wait till then and let you know what she did. x
Original post by kpwxx

Original post by kpwxx

Have some rep :p:
Reply 10
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Have some rep :p:

Original post by kpwxx

Remember the worst that can happen is they say sorry no then you can go from there. Make sure you're very 'This is what I want to do but my backup options are different as no-one offers a course as perfect as yours!' :P thought don't say anything which sounds too insincere- I can see you really want to do it anyway so your natural enthusiasm should work well!

xxx

EDIT: Oh and I will ask my housemate about her PS, I head back on Sunday so I will wait till then and let you know what she did. x

you guys have been amazing! thank you so much! if i get in (fingers crossed) i can honestly say it is down to your advice aha rep for both of you :wink:
Hey guys,
I attended a PSI Visit Day last week and have been pestering people about whether or not I could change from BA Society, Culture and Media to BA Culture, Literature and Politic in September as it looks to have a greater/more interesting range of modules! Guygp, do you know what the grades required are? Would love to see you in 2012! :P
Reply 12
Original post by Goodnight-Moon
Hey guys,
I attended a PSI Visit Day last week and have been pestering people about whether or not I could change from BA Society, Culture and Media to BA Culture, Literature and Politic in September as it looks to have a greater/more interesting range of modules! Guygp, do you know what the grades required are? Would love to see you in 2012! :P

aha it would! it's ABB, although i'm praying and hoping with every inch of my body that they might accept BBB just in case y'know?! I'm sure if you ring up or email someone they'll give you the best advice.
Let me know how it goes :smile:
Original post by Guygp
aha it would! it's ABB, although i'm praying and hoping with every inch of my body that they might accept BBB just in case y'know?! I'm sure if you ring up or email someone they'll give you the best advice.
Let me know how it goes :smile:

Ohhh praise the Lord, because I attended an open day last month and a girl who applied for it said that you needed an A in English!?? But thank you so much, I'm currently in discussions with one of the academic members in order to switch so happy days! And wouldn't it be brilliant if they lowered it to BBB! Although, my logic behind applying for 2012, is that possibly not as many in recent years will be applying given the fee raises so perhaps they'll be more lenient with us! :tongue: :biggrin: is it gonna be your firm or insurance? (:
Reply 14
Ohhh praise the Lord, because I attended an open day last month and a girl who applied for it said that you needed an A in English!?? But thank you so much, I'm currently in discussions with one of the academic members in order to switch so happy days! And wouldn't it be brilliant if they lowered it to BBB! Although, my logic behind applying for 2012, is that possibly not as many in recent years will be applying given the fee raises so perhaps they'll be more lenient with us! :tongue: :biggrin: is it gonna be your firm or insurance? (:

oh god no, that girl must be thinking of another course! you need a B in english though as a requirement. My mind set is that, because fewer people are applying, and that the fees rose last year that a lot of people will also be on gap years, so deferred entries etc may also give us 'the edge' aha i'm actually on my gap year so :smile: I actually firmed it today, proper scary moment aha, what about you?
Original post by Guygp
oh god no, that girl must be thinking of another course! you need a B in english though as a requirement. My mind set is that, because fewer people are applying, and that the fees rose last year that a lot of people will also be on gap years, so deferred entries etc may also give us 'the edge' aha i'm actually on my gap year so :smile: I actually firmed it today, proper scary moment aha, what about you?

Ahhh thank godness, as I was proper terrified, because there'd be nooo way I'd be able to scrape an A! The course modules look great though (: ohh I'm on a gap year too, just resitting some modules though as I was ill last year! And I concur, I'd say the admissions team will be far more lenient and understanding this year wahoo!! Ah, and you firmed it? Well done! Awk, but it's great to have it done and out of the way as now you just have to focus on September (: I'll be firming it next week I believe :biggrin: have you visited UEA btw??
Reply 16
Ahhh thank godness, as I was proper terrified, because there'd be nooo way I'd be able to scrape an A! The course modules look great though (: ohh I'm on a gap year too, just resitting some modules though as I was ill last year! And I concur, I'd say the admissions team will be far more lenient and understanding this year wahoo!! Ah, and you firmed it? Well done! Awk, but it's great to have it done and out of the way as now you just have to focus on September (: I'll be firming it next week I believe :biggrin: have you visited UEA btw??

yeah firmed it, hopefully i'll get some information on accommodation soon so i can sort that all out! yeah i have visited and i loved it! it was weird but having applied last year, UEA had such an amazing vibe! have you?
Original post by Guygp
yeah firmed it, hopefully i'll get some information on accommodation soon so i can sort that all out! yeah i have visited and i loved it! it was weird but having applied last year, UEA had such an amazing vibe! have you?

Ohhh I firmed it too! And yeah, I applied for accommodation yesterday, the process wasn't too tedious which was brilliant (: and yeah, I visited it this year and fell in love with it! Especially the sports centre and library, like I'm not normally a sporty person but my gosh I'll be taking full advantage of it!! What were your A-Levels btw? :smile:
Reply 18
Ohhh I firmed it too! And yeah, I applied for accommodation yesterday, the process wasn't too tedious which was brilliant (: and yeah, I visited it this year and fell in love with it! Especially the sports centre and library, like I'm not normally a sporty person but my gosh I'll be taking full advantage of it!! What were your A-Levels btw? :smile:

i havent received my uea code so i dunno how to apply for accomodation?! any idea? yeah i must admit i'll be taking full advantage of everything it has to offer, especially the SU! i'm doing government and politics, history, english language and literature, bit of a nightmare to be honest aha you?
Original post by Guygp
i havent received my uea code so i dunno how to apply for accomodation?! any idea? yeah i must admit i'll be taking full advantage of everything it has to offer, especially the SU! i'm doing government and politics, history, english language and literature, bit of a nightmare to be honest aha you?

Hmmm.. That is a conundrum.. Have you received any Visit Day emails from UEA yet? Because if you read carefully, at the top it should state your Applicant I.D... Just scour any existing UEA emails to see if it's there :smile: Ohhh that's a brilliant combination of courses! (brilliant because I do two out of three of them aha) I did History, English Literature and a Btec national award in Media Production! But for some reason whilst at uni I may do another A level part-time.. Don't feel complete with just the two haha how's your gap year going btw? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest