The Student Room Group

Can you tell me if I'm crazy?

So far I have:

Math HL
Chem HL

English Lit SL
Korean Lang and Lit SL

The other classes I'm thinking about is Physics and History. I need to have an HL and an SL from those classes but I'm not sure which should be which. I'm definitely planning on going into a science related major in college. I would really like to do Physics HL but I'm afraid that it'll be too heavy of a course load. Help?

Also, could you compare Physics HL and History HL?

EDIT: Another combination I'm considering is Math HL, Chem HL, English Lang and Lit HL, Physics SL, History SL, Korean Lang and Lit SL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I didn't do either physics HL or history HL, but what I gathered from the people in my school is, that physics HL would be much more technically difficult, and history HL has a lot more things to learn so would be more time consuming. Depends whether you think you could deal with more science or would like an arts subject to "balance it out" in HL if you see what I mean :smile: I did history SL and there's quite a lot to learn for that.
Reply 2
I think it is better to choose physics HL and history SL... Cause you need physics more than history.. But the main difference of these two is that in physics HL you have to improve your knowledge you would gain in physics SL... But in history HL you have to learn completely new information.. I am doing history HL, it is not hard, but i advise you to take Physics HL.

ANNNDDD... You are not crazy!!))
You're crazy.
Original post by starlitskies
So far I have:

Math HL
Chem HL

English Lit SL
Korean Lang and Lit SL

The other classes I'm thinking about is Physics and History. I need to have an HL and an SL from those classes but I'm not sure which should be which. I'm definitely planning on going into a science related major in college. I would really like to do Physics HL but I'm afraid that it'll be too heavy of a course load. Help?

Also, could you compare Physics HL and History HL?

EDIT: Another combination I'm considering is Math HL, Chem HL, English Lang and Lit HL, Physics SL, History SL, Korean Lang and Lit SL

just do physics hl, its not that difficult unless you're stupid.
I recommend Physics HL and History SL.

1. I do History HL and I can tell you it's A HELL LOT of work, although I do like the subject. I don't do Physics but while I can't say it's easier, I'm pretty sure it requires less time and effort since it's about understanding concepts, whereas History is about memorising and analysing huge bodies of facts that allow various interpretations. I literally spend 70-80% of my studying/revision time on History, as do many others taking the subject. Physics HL students don't seem to spend an even close to comparable amount of time on their subject.

2. Since you want to study sciences in university, it's advisable to do more sciences in high school.
Reply 6
Physics HL not because its easier, rather if you plan on studying sciences in the UK it would be harder to explain why you chose to study History HL instead of Physics HL.
Reply 7
Not crazy, I too did the triad and lived.
Reply 8
Physics, and along with Math and Chem HL it would set you up for science courses at the best universities (provided your grades are decent). I would warn you, though, Math HL is legendary for its difficulty.
Reply 9
Original post by saachi
Physics, and along with Math and Chem HL it would set you up for science courses at the best universities (provided your grades are decent). I would warn you, though, Math HL is legendary for its difficulty.

This. Also, Physics HL isn't that much easier (and thankfully you're taking Math HL since it's practically impossible to do Physics HL without Math HL).

I'm taking History HL and it's REALLY time consuming, so unless you're really interested in it I wouldn't suggest doing it.
Reply 10
Original post by WLDL3
This. Also, Physics HL isn't that much easier (and thankfully you're taking Math HL since it's practically impossible to do Physics HL without Math HL).

I'm taking History HL and it's REALLY time consuming, so unless you're really interested in it I wouldn't suggest doing it.

Physics HL uses almost no maths.
Reply 11
Original post by Hypocrism

I don't take it personally, but I know that all my friends taking Phys HL also take Math HL and say that it would have been impossible to do without Math HL. I'm just saying what people have told me... (:
Reply 12
Original post by WLDL3
I don't take it personally, but I know that all my friends taking Phys HL also take Math HL and say that it would have been impossible to do without Math HL. I'm just saying what people have told me... (:

It really isn't necessary at all, one of my classmates dropped HL maths in 2 weeks and still got a 6 in HL physics. I don't know why your friends think it is - they could have done different options to me. Really the only maths involved is pretty simple arithmetic, no differentiation or integration or anything like that.
Reply 13
It really isn't necessary at all, one of my classmates dropped HL maths in 2 weeks and still got a 6 in HL physics. I don't know why your friends think it is - they could have done different options to me. Really the only maths involved is pretty simple arithmetic, no differentiation or integration or anything like that.

Yeah, it might be the options. I wouldn't really know, just passing on information I get from them... (:
Original post by WLDL3
Yeah, it might be the options. I wouldn't really know, just passing on information I get from them... (:

Seriously, there is simply no difficult maths in Physics HL, none at all - not even in the relativity option. It was apparently specifically designed so that maths HL was not needed. In fact, looking up a formula, inserting the numbers and inputting them into a calculator is as difficult as it gets.
Original post by Onewingedangel
just do physics hl, its not that difficult unless you're stupid.

correct. best advice on here. people on the other threads keep going on about physics being the subject to avoid.

should be fine unless you take maths studies (which the OP is not)
there's about half my physics class doing SL maths and the other half in HL maths, and there really is no correlation between people doing HL and people doing well.
I know people who take Maths HL, Physics HL and Chemistry HL...few of them don't do too good but the rest get 7s and 6s :K::K:
Since you have already decided to do maths HL, might as well take Physics HL
Reply 18
If you're taking HL Physics, you are taking the most challenging (wouldn't say difficult) subjects of the entire IB curriculum, or so most people claim.

Though, to be fair, I think it is only a matter of understanding the challenging concepts and applying them in context. In terms of work load.

I can't speak for HL Physics or Maths, but for HL Chemistry, there really is not much workload apart from studying for occasional tests, and IAs. :P

So whatever your choice is, good luck :wink:

Quick Reply