The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

This thread is for everyone firming Durham for the 2012-2013 year! As far as I can tell one hasn't been made yet, but since every other university has a thread like this I figured we should have one too. This way we can chat without clogging up the applicant/offer threads.

Anyways, here's a little form everyone can fill out to break the ice and all:

Name:
College:
Subject:
Offer (conditional/unconditional):
Why Durham?:
Other:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Name: Jill
College: University
Subject: English
Offer (conditional/unconditional): conditonal, I have to maintain an average of 80% across five 30-level, 5 credit courses including English.
Why Durham?: It's beautiful, of course, and I was attracted to the traditions and college system since it is so unlike anything I can attend in Canada. Oh, and my sister-in-law's family is from Durham and the surronding area so moving so far doesn't seem as scary.
Other: Canadian student :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Name: Amen
College: Van Mildert
Subject: Philosophy and Psychology
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional; 3As or 2As and Welsh Baccalaureate
Why Durham?: It just seems perfect for me really. I like the whole collegiate system and the course sounds amazing :smile:
Other:
(edited 11 years ago)
Name: Mal
College: Open application but I have been assigned to St.John's
Subject: BSc Archaeology
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Unconditional
Why Durham?: I do not like big cities, my cameras and I will be closer to the Highlands, I have stayed in one of the old colleges for a week back in the 80s and loved it, houses are cheap, it is ranked very highly for Archaeology, and its rated top for research in Archaeology. Plus despite my tongue in cheek posts in the odd Durham forum thread, I wanted a "unique" and very British experience. It also helped that my wife's favourite course was at Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and her offer was unconditional.
Other: Mature student, as in, very :smile:.
Name:James
College: Trevelyan
Subject: Physics
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional, AA
Why Durham?: Really like the course and the collegiate system, and just the uni in general :smile: Normal reasons i suppose :biggrin:
Name: Catherine
College: St Mary's
Subject: Politics
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional - AAA
Why Durham?: It's just wonderful. One of the few unis I actually could imagine myself at after the open day. Oh and it has a good reputation and is close to my family :smile:
Other: Really hope I get my grades. Pretty much on track, but y'know, still very worrying cos I LOVE LOVE LOVE Durham <3
Reply 6
Hi everyone! How is everyone's school/exams going? I'm worried about missing my offer (even though it's pretty low) due to how crazy hard the government exams were last semester. If they decide to make them that ridiculous this semester, I may have a problem. One of my diplomas dropped my final mark by 12%! Apparently marks were low across the province though.
Original post by JPDub
Hi everyone! How is everyone's school/exams going? I'm worried about missing my offer (even though it's pretty low) due to how crazy hard the government exams were last semester. If they decide to make them that ridiculous this semester, I may have a problem. One of my diplomas dropped my final mark by 12%! Apparently marks were low across the province though.

Mine are going absolutely as well as is theoretically possible, because I do not have any :biggrin:.

I have completed my 30 year apprenticeship for Archaeology, in the IT / Management Consultancy sector. I also prepared for archaeology by doing a few astronomy and cosmology modules with the OU, 20 years ago, just for the hell of it.

But preparation for October is still required so I am working my way back through the contents of my book shelves.
Reply 8
Original post by evening sunrise
Mine are going absolutely as well as is theoretically possible, because I do not have any :biggrin:.

I have completed my 30 year apprenticeship for Archaeology, in the IT / Management Consultancy sector. I also prepared for archaeology by doing a few astronomy and cosmology modules with the OU, 20 years ago, just for the hell of it.

But preparation for October is still required so I am working my way back through the contents of my book shelves.

Truthfully I was about to neg' you but then I laughed a lot reading your post, so thanks for writing this stuff :^_^:
Just avoid doing this in every thread :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Name: Luci
College: Collingwood
Subject: Biomedical Sciences
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional
Why Durham?: It's close to family, I like the college system and the course is perfect for me too
Other: I'm coming to Durham from Vienna, Austria :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by evening sunrise

What made you and your wife decide to return to university? I'm terrified to start at 18, but I can't imagine how it would feel to start as a mature student!
I think I'm firming it... I haven't officially firmed it yet but after I've been to the open day next week I shall make up my mind. I shall post anyways.

Name: Lauren
College: St. Aidan's
Subject: Mathematics!
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional (AAA at Advanced Higher)
Why Durham?: I never really wanted to go to a big city for university but I didn't want to be in the middle of no where either. Durham I think is just the right balance. I think that I'd be able to have a good balance of work/studying and social time there. It's old and pretty but yet it's very new in parts too. It has traditions and even though I didn't apply to one of the more formal colleges I hope that I'd still be able to experience some of the traditions. I was in Durham last summer for a Maths course and I just loved the place. I could see myself living there for 3-4 years and enjoying myself. I think that's probably the most important thing. I haven't visited the college I applied to. When I visited in the summer I stayed at Grey college so I have a general idea of what the hill colleges are like I guess. I just hope that I do like my college when I go and visit next week!
Original post by JPDub
What made you and your wife decide to return to university? I'm terrified to start at 18, but I can't imagine how it would feel to start as a mature student!

It is not so much that we decided to go, we have always been going, the question was one of timing. I had a place in 1981 (physics), but elected to become a computer programmer as graduate employment then was truly dire and the new field was very lucrative. So we have bided our time, never ever lost site of the objective, raised a family and had an awsome 3 gap decades. About 3 years ago we set a soft target of 2012 entry, and we made that target hard last September. My employer was a bit shocked I will admit.

I am totally relaxed about it, my wife slightly more nervous. I will not be living in college, my wife and I, plus the 2 of our 4 kids still to fledge are getting a house in Durham. I will not be very visible at Uni. When not studying I will be out in countryside, dressed as a bush, with my cameras, sometimes a tent. The most likely place I will be spotted, excepting the actual course and formals, is at Uni sporting events, again with cameras, or at live rock gigs if Durham has those.

All the best with hitting your offer. You will have a great time once you get to Uni.
Reply 13
Name: Sam
College: Josephine Butler
Subject:Mechanical Engineering MEng and General Engineering BEng
Offer (conditional/unconditional):AAA and AAB
Why Durham?: I like that the city is not too big but not too small. The college system. The department and course look great. The sport is one of the best in the country, particularly the rowing. It just felt perfect for me and where i could easily see myself living for 3+ years, so much so that it will be my firm and my insurance! :smile:
Reply 14
Name: Jo
College: Grey
Subject: General Engineering MEng
Offer (conditional/unconditional): ABB
Why Durham?: Every reason possible, I adore Durham and everything about the University and course. So excited! :]

Also, is anyone going to the open days/staying over for the night ?
Reply 15
Name: Jamie
College: St Aidens
Subject: Natural Sciences
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional, A*AA
Why Durham?: Because it's a beautiful place, a world best university, a top 3 British university, and just excellent in everyway
Other: Can't study Chemistry due to circumstances surrounding my application, doesn't bother me, I'm a physicist :3
Reply 16
Name: Elliot
College: John Snow
Subject: Applied Psychology
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional, ABB
Why Durham?: Top uni, nice place. I also really like the college system.
Other: Applied for Psychology in one of the Durham city colleges, got put into Applied psychology in John Snow college. Dreading wearing a gown.
Reply 17
Name: Madeleine
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional - AAB
Why Durham?: IT'S SO PRETTY. It's a top-notch university, the course is great and it's just a lovely lovely place.
Other: Already firmed :smile:

Also, does anyone know how/when to apply for accomodation? I saw on the website you have to pay £250 upfront for an accomodation guarantee? :curious:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mcw6
Name: Madeleine
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional - AAB
Why Durham?: IT'S SO PRETTY. It's a top-notch university, the course is great and it's just a lovely lovely place.
Other: Already firmed :smile:

Also, does anyone know how/when to apply for accomodation? I saw on the website you have to pay £250 upfront for an accomodation guarantee? :curious:

All accomodation stuff is sorted after results day, don't worry about it yet! No idea what the £250 deposit is...where did you see that?
Reply 19
Original post by JPDub

I am 45 and decided to apply :smile:
Can understand what you are saying but the truth is, I am more relaxed now and willing to enjoy and profit from the university now than before.
And I did had a speed up life :biggrin:
I crossed a country in a middle of revolution looking for a doctor because I was ill (Africa) I was in an earthquake (Azores), and under a fire (Lisbon), threatned a man that was a animal dealer, killing dozens of them!
I married, had a child, sow loads of trees, wrote dozens of articles in websites.
Look at age like if it was a bottle of wine.
when young, wine fights your palate, pushes it's flavour, brings up your will to assimilate.
Mature wine blends in your mouth, becomes "you" in the first instance, just slides with no other intention besides enjoying the ride.
Locard's principle will work wonders for me at the University.
And any person that will cross my way will bring me something new.
Loads of new stuff, gigantic fun!
And I can relax and just enjoy such a major path in my life :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending