The Student Room Group

STEP II and III

What proportion of applicants attain a grade S in STEP II and III?
Reply 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Term_Examination_Paper

It seems to be around 12%. However, I think getting an S in STEP is probably more inclined towards meeting a certain standard of maths and slightly less about relative scores in relation to other candidates.
Reply 2
Too many people are achieving S-grades. They need to make an S* or S2-grade to filter out the people that just walk into Cambridge!!!!!11
Reply 3
Original post by Zhy
Too many people are achieving S-grades. They need to make an S* or S2-grade to filter out the people that just walk into Cambridge!!!!!11

You're joking right? You do know that the 12% of people who get S grades in II and III are 12% from a sample of mathematicians who have offers from Cambridge/ Warwick or are students who just want to sit the exam - i.e. they are the top x% of A level students.

I think the 'S' boundary is normally around 90~100, and it is higher in III. Getting >100 in STEP (i.e. getting more than 5 perfect solutions) is an incredibly high standard in my opinion.
Reply 4
I wonder how many of those that do manage to get grade S (in II and III) come from non fee paying schools?

The only person I know who got anywhere near grade S, (it was actually grade S in II and 1 in III) came from one of the top fee-paying schools and ended up at Imperial.

Is it possible to get top grades without expert tuition?

Also, does anyone know if the majority of those that obtain a grade S are from the UK or abroad?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending