The Student Room Group

Leave-in conditioner or Hair Serum?

Poll

Solution for dry hair ends.

Hey!
First time i'm posting in this category but I need your help :adore:

My hair ends are really dry, but my roots are oily, but the roots arent the issue here.

Anyway my hairdresser back in Jan said to condition my hair often as I never did.
Anyway now that I do condition, it has made my hair softer, but the ends are still dry. After washing my hair and towel drying I put in 'Advanced Technique Dry Ends Serum' which is soooo helpful, but I need something stronger.

So any suggestions?

Btw. I only natural dry my hair, no blowdryer, straightners, hairspray, back-combing (teasing) and no hair dye is applied.
(edited 12 years ago)
This is what I use; it really is the best, it does miracles to my long, curly hair. :h:

http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Full-Repair/Perfect-Ends-Deep-Infusion
http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Full-Repair/Deep-Conditioner
http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Full-Repair/Full-Body-Shampoo

Perhaps your hair is oily because you wash your hair too frequently? See what works for you!

p.s. when you condition your hair, dont apply the conditioner to your roots.
Reply 2
I struggle with the balance between roots and dry ends as well!

Definitely make sure you only apply the conditioning treatment to the ends of your hair/ half way up your hair. I don't dye my hair, but I find that conditioners designed for coloured hair are much better than those for just dry hair. My mum got a deep conditioning treatment to use for 6 weeks in the box of hair dye last time I home dyed it for her ... and I stole it and brought it back to uni :ninjagirl: It's so good! It says you can buy it separately as well.

If I remember, I'll go and find out the name of it. I have to dash out now...

But yeh! I'd say go for a really intense moisturizing one designed for coloured hair!
Reply 3
Original post by Simple Symphony

Spoiler

Hey, i was looking into the john frieda products before making this thread. I dont wash my hair often, ive reduced it to just 2/3 times a week, but my hair did used to get much more oily when I was younger but it seems to be evening out now, im 18 now btw. One question, i saw this girl using john frieda fly-away tamer, have u seen this product and have you used it?

So would you recommend leave-in conditioner or serum?

Original post by rachel.h

Spoiler

I understand you root/end battle, my hair is getting better at the roots, but getting dryer at the ends, i use shampoo for greasy hair for the roots, but only shampoo roots and let it run down to the ends rather than rubbing it in myself, dont want to make ends any dryer.
My mum has PLENTY conditioners from her hair dyeing products so I think i'll snatch one of those and give it a shot.
Let me know the name, when u get a chance.

And same to you whats ur recommendation? Leave-in conditioner or serum?
I would use a hair mask once a week as well as a serum but only put them on the lower length of your hair. If your roots are getting annoyingly oily a balancing shampoo should help and batiste dry shampoo for in between days.

Really good hair masks i've found are Loreal royal jelly- it smells like honey and has a lovely consistency. Also Aussie hair masks especially their one for long hair and pantene ones are ok but quite cheap. I use John Frieda frizz ease serum and really like it. Loreal elvive serums are also good and I use the John Frieda shine/flyaway spray and it's really good.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by christinasrose
I would use a hair mask once a week as well as a serum but only put them on the lower length of your hair. If your roots are getting annoyingly oily a balancing shampoo should help and batiste dry shampoo for in between days.

Really good hair masks i've found are Loreal royal jelly- it smells like honey and has a lovely consistency. Also Aussie hair masks especially their one for long hair and pantene ones are ok but quite cheap. I use John Frieda frizz ease serum and really like it. Loreal elvive serums are also good and I use the John Frieda shine/flyaway spray and it's really good.

Hope that helps :smile:

Your advice is really helpful, but rather than use masks i'd rather use home/natural remedy's like oil massages into the ends, or own hair masks made out of egg/fruit etc. Do you know of any good home remedies?

Because of the dry ends, they get split sooooo easily, this is why I dont use heat at all. I'll straighten my hair, once even 2 months, which would probably be at a occasion.
My mum has the same john frieda serum, i might dig that out and give it a shot. Also the fly-away spray sounds good, i'll check it out.

Thanks
Original post by Eternal*
Your advice is really helpful, but rather than use masks i'd rather use home/natural remedy's like oil massages into the ends, or own hair masks made out of egg/fruit etc. Do you know of any good home remedies?

Because of the dry ends, they get split sooooo easily, this is why I dont use heat at all. I'll straighten my hair, once even 2 months, which would probably be at a occasion.
My mum has the same john frieda serum, i might dig that out and give it a shot. Also the fly-away spray sounds good, i'll check it out.

Thanks

I have to say I've tried things like baby oil/olive oil and really never been that impressed by any home remedies. If you have oily roots and your hair splits easily you probs have quite fine hair which would be weighed downy oils. The couple of pounds for a hair mask is worth it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by christinasrose
I have to say I've tried things like baby oil/olive oil and really never been that impressed by any home remedies. If you have oily roots and your hair splits easily you probs have quite fine hair which would be weighed downy oils. The couple of pounds for a hair mask is worth it :smile:

I'll give it a thought, but id never use baby oil in my hair, things like mustard oil (even though it smells), almond oil (more reasonable), and coconut oil (smells good) actually do help. Which one of the above mentioned hair masks do you think would best suit my condition?
Hey, i was looking into the john frieda products before making this thread. I dont wash my hair often, ive reduced it to just 2/3 times a week, but my hair did used to get much more oily when I was younger but it seems to be evening out now, im 18 now btw. One question, i saw this girl using john frieda fly-away tamer, have u seen this product and have you used it?

So would you recommend leave-in conditioner or serum?

Definitely a serum, I use a good conditioner in the shower and wouldn't want to add a leave-in conditioner too, it would only weigh down my hair. I've started using John Frieda's "perfect ends" treatment and I can really feel the difference, my ends are a lot less dry.
I sometimes use their fly-away tamer, however nothing can tame the wind so it almost seemed like a waste of money to even purchase it! :biggrin:
For mine I use leave in conditioner which you dont wash out, boots own brand, and I don't find it makes it oily, I use herbal essences blue shampoo and conditioner and use serum on the ends.
Reply 10
Leave-In-Conditioner! I use to have problems with my dry ends till my friend introduced me to Karens Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia. Love it now :smile: get it from nexrastore.com
(edited 12 years ago)
use joico moisture recovery leave in conditioner after every hair wash and heat up some olive oil and leave on for an hour once a week and your hair will be totally reconstructed
Reply 12
Neither; try Moroccan Oil.
Reply 13
Original post by OnlyMe!
Neither; try Moroccan Oil.

Where can i get this from? My hairdresser said to use that too. Also how much is it?
Reply 14
Where can i get this from? My hairdresser said to use that too. Also how much is it?

You can buy it online. A quick google search would reveal many stockists.

It isn't cheap, but lasts for ages.

Quick Reply