The Student Room Group

Should you choose a university for it's reputation or for the course?

I have to decide which university to firm between Sheffield, Bristol and Manchester, and I haven't a clue :/ I'm applying for Biological sciences (biochem) and I've been to see Bristol and Manchester, but I haven't seen Sheffield... I loved the look of Bristol, but the course didn't sound so good... And I thought Manchester wasn't so "pretty", even though the course sounds great!
Can anyone give me some advice? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Well, you'll be living there for the next 3/4 years so it makes sense to like the city you'll be living in.

I've been to Sheffield and Bristol and I personally thought Bristol is a much more beautiful city. Sheffield seems a bit... Soulless.
Have you attended any of their open days?
Reply 2
Original post by Simple Symphony
Well, you'll be living there for the next 3/4 years so it makes sense to like the city you'll be living in.

I've been to Sheffield and Bristol and I personally thought Bristol is a much more beautiful city. Sheffield seems a bit... Soulless.

I went to Bristol on a sort of Biological Sciences Open Day. I visited the town and the department. And I went to Manchester for an interview, as I live abroad it isn't very simple...
I would like to have a look at Sheffield too, but I won't be able to I think. :/
Where are you studying?
Reply 3
Original post by PipGrove
I have to decide which university to firm between Sheffield, Bristol and Manchester, and I haven't a clue :/ I'm applying for Biological sciences (biochem) and I've been to see Bristol and Manchester, but I haven't seen Sheffield... I loved the look of Bristol, but the course didn't sound so good... And I thought Manchester wasn't so "pretty", even though the course sounds great!
Can anyone give me some advice? :smile:

I would prioritise the course > location. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay somewhere for 3-4 years if I didn't enjoy the course. However, you should also look into career prospects after graduating and student life at the universities to see which suits you best. :smile:

Original post by Simple Symphony

I would have to disagree with that. :naughty: Sheffield's student life is simply amazing and our student union has won countless awards for student satisfaction etc.
I went to Bristol on a sort of Biological Sciences Open Day. I visited the town and the department. And I went to Manchester for an interview, as I live abroad it isn't very simple...
I would like to have a look at Sheffield too, but I won't be able to I think. :/
Where are you studying?

Well I live in london, and hoping to study Medicine at either Cardiff or Kings College London.
Well, Sheffield is a small city and to me it felt like a village.. So i guess it depends on your preference. I really liked Bristol's city centre, although it is quite a hilly place!
Reply 5
I don't mind the hills, I live on a hill!! Everyone has different opinions so it's really hard to decide :/ they are 3 great unis from what I've heard...
I would like to know which one gives me the "best employability". That would probably be my firm :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Vulpes
I would prioritise the course > location. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay somewhere for 3-4 years if I didn't enjoy the course. However, you should also look into career prospects after graduating and student life at the universities to see which suits you best. :smile:

I would have to disagree with that. :naughty: Sheffield's student life is simply amazing and our student union has won countless awards for student satisfaction etc.

What are you studying in Sheffield? :smile:
Reply 7
pends what u wanna study i'd have thought. for me, it matters little what rathole i go to, so long as my chosen course (if i get on it) is accredited.

i just read your OP with my brains in gear:colondollar:

go for the one that has the best course that suits you (course content), then consider location etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
What are you studying in Sheffield? :smile:

Medicine. :h:
Reply 9
Original post by ashtoreth
pends what u wanna study i'd have thought. for me, it matters little what rathole i go to, so long as my chosen course (if i get on it) is accredited.

i just read your OP with my brains in gear:colondollar:

go for the one that has the best course that suits you (course content), then consider location etc.

I think I should definitely go and visit Sheffield, because I only have a real idea of Bristol and Manchester's courses. I preferred Manchester's course, it was really flexible and focused on bio more than chemistry!
Reply 10
Original post by Vulpes
Medicine. :h:

I know that Sheffield is excellent for Biological Sciences. Do you know anyone on a Bio sci course? :smile: And if you do, what do they think?
Reply 11
I know that Sheffield is excellent for Biological Sciences. Do you know anyone on a Bio sci course? :smile: And if you do, what do they think?

Quite a few. :yep:

They're quite enjoying the course. Everyones opinion varies so it really is best if you come to one of our open days and check it out first-hand if possible :smile:
course>>>>>>>>>reputation

I wouldnt choose a mediocre University if it had an amazing course but neither would I choose an amazing University if the course was mediocre :smile:
Reply 13
Ok. Thanks :smile: I'll make sure I come and visit! Who knows? I might firm Sheffield!
thats what i did :smile: Im currently a fresher at Lincoln University - and altho its sorta mid-league table currently (working its way up though) for my course it is 3rd in the country! =)
Reply 15
Original post by -Illmatic-
course>>>>>>>>>reputation

I wouldnt choose a mediocre University if it had an amazing course but neither would I choose an amazing University if the course was mediocre :smile:

Hum... That's exactly my problem! :s-smilie:
The city of Bristol was perfect for me... But the course... Not so perfect. You can't even pick a modern language, but you can do a year in industry so that's pretty good. And Manchester. Well I didn't love it that much even though the course is fantastic.
I will be living in a different country to my homeland so it's important that I feel 100% good! :smile:
Reply 16
I am looking at a wide range of factors tbh.
Reply 17
Original post by Unununium
thats what i did :smile: Im currently a fresher at Lincoln University - and altho its sorta mid-league table currently (working its way up though) for my course it is 3rd in the country! =)

But what do you think of the city? Student life? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
I am looking at a wide range of factors tbh.

What factors? Have you firmed a university yet?
But what do you think of the city? Student life? :smile:

Well lincoln is my local city, so i know it well anyway. the student night life is brilliant, the uni is gorgeous so thats all a bonus! But i primarily picked it for how good it is for forensic science! all the other stuff just sorta adds to it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest