The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

LJMU Grand Central anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
o and not forgetting the gym, i will be in it every morning,i will fit perfectly in that place lol, well lets hope i get a room there as I've chosen the en-suite room
Liverpool
Reply 21
hey man! i'll be 20 in june so not quite your age but still one of the slightly older ones! the contract with GC runs from september until june so I don't think you can stay there over summer! you booked your accommodation yet? looking forward to going?
Reply 22
im 20 in june aswell, when i visited my mates there last year there seemed to be a range of age groups but they all got on well. i think it just depends what your like as a person rather than your age.
Reply 23
Well I just got an email saying I'll be allocated to Grand Central on Wednesday, so I think I've got Grand Central :-), i act 18 in some ways lol so i think I'll be fine lol, well as i need accommodation over summer I think I'm going to take the chance and not say anythink because I cant see them kicking you out
Reply 24
Firm choice for studying Criminal Justice starting in Sept. 2012, just got all my info about my room, soo excited!!! :smile:

I'm moving from Guernsey in the Channel Islands so not really sure what sort of things I should be taking with me and buying such as cooking pots and cleaning materials!

Also what date is everyone arriving for, is it the date your tenancy begins or after that?

X
Reply 25
I was interested in Grand Central but I was reading some reviews on 'what uni' and apparently the gym has closed down. I'm not sure if that's still the case but they're still advertising that is has a gym so I'm a bit confused...
Reply 26
Original post by megwan
I was interested in Grand Central but I was reading some reviews on 'what uni' and apparently the gym has closed down. I'm not sure if that's still the case but they're still advertising that is has a gym so I'm a bit confused...

dont worry the gym is up and running again :smile: i have a mate who lives there and he says its running! one of the main reasons im staying in GC :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by lstrang
Firm choice for studying Criminal Justice starting in Sept. 2012, just got all my info about my room, soo excited!!! :smile:

I'm moving from Guernsey in the Channel Islands so not really sure what sort of things I should be taking with me and buying such as cooking pots and cleaning materials!

Also what date is everyone arriving for, is it the date your tenancy begins or after that?

X

no idea what kinda things you'll need to take! probs best to just buy stuff when you get there! and the tenancy begins on around the 8th of september i think it is and you can move in any time after that! i think i'll be moving in the first day i can just to get used to it!
Reply 28
Got grand central Ensuite Block D Flat 312 ROOM D im thinking £118 a week is a bit high but ill se how i do with money
Original post by casper87
Got grand central Ensuite Block D Flat 312 ROOM D im thinking £118 a week is a bit high but ill se how i do with money

I take it you applied for a premium room? Sounds exactly like mine (price + room number), only I'm in block E hahah :smile:
Reply 30
yea I sure did I've lived alone since the age of 16, so going from a double bed to a single was never gonna happen with me lol but as im 25 in june i do get extra money, so i shall see how it goes budget wise, i wonder what floor im on
Reply 31
o just found out i'm on the 8 floor :/ lol
Reply 32
I'm 334 Room A - No idea what block that is on.
Reply 33
I feel sorry for you guys.
I currently live in GC and its horrible.

The staff are rude - even after putting me and my flatmates through hell off a simple hunch and rumour which turned out to be wrong, we received no apology.

Half the flats didnt get post box keys this year. For no reason at all.

When I picked up my keys to flat 421 in September 2011, I found my flat which had been said to be 'Ready for check in' (moving in), to have a freezer with a mouldy fridge and 1.5 out of its original 4 freezer draws, dirty carpets, no bin and sofas which were literally COVERED in what looked like p*ss, c*m stains, drink spillages and food stains with cigarette burns and rips in them.

My bedroom door handle has never been fully functionning despite many complaints

The oven door doesn't actually fit

We've had 2 leaks from the electrical cabinet above the oven in 2 weeks

1 power cut due to the water in the electrics

A leaky shower in room D which flooded rooms C and D so bad that they stank out the whole flat for over 2 weeks

The water pressure in the taps in your bedroom is like a dribbly w**.

My bedroom window is not sealed properly so I hope the next inhabitant doesnt mind freezing to death in winter: the heater only stays on for 20 mins.

My study chair has been falling apart completely from the day I moved in.

The main door handle (fire door) was broken on moving in.

The maintenance team ignored our request for a lightbulb change in the fluo kitchen light for 5 weeks and didn't bother to come up to check until my flatmate threatened to make an official complaint to head Unite office.

Don't expect Unite staff at GC to give you privacy...althought they're not allowed to enter your flat unless its an emergancy or for maintenance, they'l let themselves in.

Our hoover has smelt of chocolate and sick since we moved in: even a change of bag wont help.

The walls are so thin, if its late at night you can sometimes here people in other flats taking a w** or a d*mp...or having sex.

Don't expect to sleep on a saturday night....or any other ngiht of the week. Its not called PARTY central for nothing you know!

If your music is too loud (which is personal opinion really) security will let themselves in and tell you to turn it down.

The carpets are filthy

The beds are uncomfortable, and if you're lucky, your mattress will have dustmites: hello bites.

This is just off the top of my head. The place is a dump. Its falling apart. Ok, its OKAY, but at £107 a week, its an over priced pile of junk ran by total losers. Find somewhere else to pay over the odds for!
Reply 34
If its as bad as you make out why not complain to unite head office, and just keep complain and complain and complain till they did something. if i was in this situation i wouldnt pay it until they sorted it or take it further than head office, im sure you could sue something. Or just move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 35
Just applied for GC as first choice and Apollo court as second choice, is it likely I will get my frist choice? Hoping to get there as ive heard many good things about GC and its right in the heart of the City! Also how long does it usually take until you find out where you are? thanks
Reply 36
Exactly what AE Hartley said. I think your a case of an overexcited troll?!

I'm thinking I will be in Grand central. Just waiting to firm up my DSAs and will be able to finalise everything.

Anyone doing Early childhood studies?
Reply 37
Original post by lstrang

X

The day or two after I arrive I will probably go shopping for things like plates, pans etc. I have been looking in Costco today (not sure if you have it over there, its basically a big warehouse store for businesses but you can buy all sorts for cheap in there!)

If there are others who don't have things like that, I will consider spliting the costs on things like this with them. I saw a huge 48 piece pan set for £50, and a 4 person dinner service (plate, cereal bowl, side plate and mug) for £25.
I will buy things like laundry detergent and soap powder there too- the tiny boxes in the supermarket cost about £5 and last a month, you can get huge boxes of Costcos own soap powder in Costco for £12- we get it at the moment (family of 3/4 when my brother is home) and it lasts us nearly 2/3 months so would consider getting that between others too to split the cost. Lenor fabric conditioner is £8 in there (a huge bottle, about 4/5x size the ones in the supermarket that cost £3/4)
Reply 38
Original post by BHS12
Exactly what AE Hartley said. I think your a case of an overexcited troll?!

I'm thinking I will be in Grand central. Just waiting to firm up my DSAs and will be able to finalise everything.

Anyone doing Early childhood studies?

I'm doing early childhood studies :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by kloelouise
I'm doing early childhood studies :smile:

Woop!! I was thinking I was gonna end up being the only one lol! Do you know what flat your in yet??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending