The Student Room Group

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pomme de terre
I did A level Dutch!!!!!! But its not my mother tongue I learnt it myself.

I got an A in AS, and intended to leave it there. My school entered me for the A2 though even though I hadn't studied any all year but I thought may as well do it, but I only ended up with a B cos of that.

I thought it was really hard though, way harder than A level French (despite the fact I speak Dutch a lot better!), I think maybe they write it with people who have it as their native tongue in mind.

I thought it was really hard though, way harder than A level French (despite the fact I speak Dutch a lot better!), I think maybe they write it with people who have it as their native tongue in mind.

:danceboy:[ If you csn do it...(I hope) I can do it too :wink: Wha yu sayin?? a B in a language you learned by yourself from scratch is GREAT!! :lol:
Did you do the old spec or new exam? And I know what you mean! The essay questions especially are VERY thought provoking! :tongue: and without knowledge of the content...one would fail...zeer ongelukkiig! :rolleyes: and that's what I think..or maybe they make it harder to compensate for the fact that there isn't one of those scary oral exams :lol:
I studied the language of english. After learning the main language of you humans, we are one step further in our plan to destroy earth...
Original post by effofex
Nee - ik spreek geen Fries, maar ik ken een Friese vrouw met mooie haar.

Hou je van wonen in Verenigde Koninkrijk? Alles gezellig?

Jee Ik heb weer een kasskopje ontdekt op TSR! :danceboy:
Ohh dat is interessant :tongue: Ja ik heb het wel naar m'n zin hier in de Verenigde Koninkrijk! Woon jij in Engeland of Nederland? :lol:
Reply 123
Original post by thatitootoo
WOoW. How are you finding it so far? Also, how long have you been learning Japanese??:eek:

I love it! I spend way too much time on it and neglect my other subjects if I'm honest :colondollar: I started learning Japanese when I was in year 7 and now I'm in year 12. I only started to really enjoy it in year 11 though.
Original post by ilovelily2006
Hi I am also planning to take A level Japanese too. Do your school offer A level Japanese? It is quite a 'rare' language :biggrin:

Yes my school offers Japanese A Level & GCSE, as well as a lot of other languages. I think I must be quite lucky! Good luck with Japanese I hope you enjoy it a lot
Reply 124
li
Haha bless:tongue: that's very honnest of you to make that fact clear to uni's like that.. :smile: Omg I can't imagine how hard the writing must be! My only understanding of Arabic are the numerals..:lol: What Arabic dialect is your native? Is it particularly close to 'MSA' ??

The writing is sooooo difficult! The exam i have in june is 3 hours long and it involves a proper essay based on books that i have to read ahh!!
Umm well I'm from Jordan and it is quite different from MSA yes :/
Reply 125
:O These Aruban folks make TSRians look average!...:lol:

This phenomenon got me interested in the psychology of language acquisition. According to critical period theory, exposure to many languages at a young age (and Arubans start young) leads to it being very easily to acquire fluency without much effort. (In contrast, delaying learning a foreign language until adulthood makes it very difficult.)

Dutch, English and Spanish are also very common languages on Aruba (in addition to their mother tongue), so an Aruban child gets full immersion in them all. Their mind soaks them up like a sponge. The educational system is the perfect compliment.
And another phenomenon is that the more languages a person is proficient in, the easier it is to add another (particularly related languages such as other European ones).
So fluency in 6 languages isn't quite as difficult as it seems in such an environment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 126
All languages are less popular :p:):frown:

You are all so lucky my 6th form only does the 'big three'

Original post by Dusty12
Well, I suppose Welsh counts. I got an A at AS, but I find that the papers are simply more difficult than my other subjects. I think subjects that few people choose are often more challenging. :dontknow:

congrats on the A! but perhaps few people choose the subjects that are more challenging not the other way round.
Original post by Rahmeh.
The writing is sooooo difficult! The exam i have in june is 3 hours long and it involves a proper essay based on books that i have to read ahh!!
Umm well I'm from Jordan and it is quite different from MSA yes :/

well I think that you deserve to get some credit from uni's for putting yourself through this!:wink: anyway I wish you حظا سعيدا!!
Reply 128
Original post by Rahmeh.
I did Arabic GCSE in year 8 and doing A2 now. I am a native speaker so i have made that clear to universities as i would not like it to be a part of any offers (feels a little like cheating) although it is sooooo difficult and the grammar is crazy! It is beautiful though :smile:

Oooh this reminds me that I did Arabic upto AS level :lol: I'm not a native speaker so I found AS quite a step up from GCSE, which I found quite easy. And the grammer is an absolute nightmare :afraid: but I love writing it :tongue:
Original post by rac1
All languages are less popular :p:):frown:

You are all so lucky my 6th form only does the 'big three'

congrats on the A! but perhaps few people choose the subjects that are more challenging not the other way round.

True talk. :rolleyes:
Original post by HumiT
Oooh this reminds me that I did Arabic upto AS level :lol: I'm not a native speaker so I found AS quite a step up from GCSE, which I found quite easy. And the grammer is an absolute nightmare :afraid: but I love writing it :tongue:

And how does a non-native grasp that which may well be the hardest living language on this globe?? Explain..:wink:
I take it you got an A* at GCSE then?
What AS grade did you end up with? :tongue:
I would do an a level in a less common language if they added cling on or elvish, although then they would be really popular and wouldn't be uncommon anymore.
Reply 132
Define "less common". I'm studying Italian at uni - A* at GCSE and a B at 'A'-Level - and I count it as obscure because my school was the only school in the area that offered it.
Reply 133
Thank you!! I'm a lot less anxious about completely failing German next year, thanks to your post! :biggrin: So I'm guessing you had to go over the basic (gcse material) when you first started? But your doing it by yourself now??:redface: How are you going to arrange for the Speaking exams? Or is your school sorting it out for you?? So is there anything else your studying besides German, French & Spanish? :tongue: What board are you on btw? And definately, extra things like reading newspapers / listening to music in your target language, really help..I also try thinking in the language, but that naturally doesn't last :frown: Do you manage to think in German/French/Spanish throughout the day? :lol: I'll definately do that for German :smile: That's the thing I like about the more common languages...Learning resources are EVERYWHERE! :tongue:

Ohh w8..you're at uni? Ohh :colondollar: I thought you were in yr13..my bad :tongue: May I ask for your final grade in each respective language please & what linguistic degree youre studying now?:rolleyes:
Ohh that happens to me without reason! :L Hope all is going well with you now though :smile:

I did English Lit, French, German and Spanish at A-level. I got AAAB (B in English Lit, only short by 4 marks! :frown:) I also got a Merit in AEA German. Spanish was actually my highest scoring A-level, at 542. Would easily have been an A* today!

I applied to study Japanese/Japanese and Spanish at uni, changed my mind and applied again for German and Spanish. I studied those at uni for 3 years (one was a repeat due to illness) and spent a year in Germany. That year was last year and I decided I didn't want to finish my degree because I had switched to Single Honours German and then realised I didn't want anything to do with Germany anymore!

Right now I am teaching myself Danish and A-level Maths because I am moving in with my boyfriend near Copenhagen this year and want to apply to Copenhagen Uni to study Medicine (you need Maths, Physics along with Chem or Biotechnology to study Medicine in Denmark).

A linguistics degree is something entirely different from a languages degree. I happened to do a lot of linguistics within my options though, it's really awesome. If anyone wants to venture into linguistics, Steven Pinker is a nice and easy place to start.

:danceboy:[ If you csn do it...(I hope) I can do it too :wink: Wha yu sayin?? a B in a language you learned by yourself from scratch is GREAT!! :lol:
Did you do the old spec or new exam? And I know what you mean! The essay questions especially are VERY thought provoking! :tongue: and without knowledge of the content...one would fail...zeer ongelukkiig! :rolleyes: and that's what I think..or maybe they make it harder to compensate for the fact that there isn't one of those scary oral exams :lol:

I think it must have been the old spec, it was back in '09 ha. I think I remember hearing that they were gonna change it to make it more like other language A-levels, so I guess there's a listening exam now?! Ha I can't even remember what the exam was like now, I guess the writing was hard, I think I just chose the most open-ended topic and chatted crap :biggrin:
Reply 135
I have enormous difficulty pronouncing Dutch words. I can't even get my throat around "schatje". At least natives consider my pronunciation to be way off.
(And no, Dutch "sch" is not pronounced "sh" like in German!)
Original post by Mequa
I have enormous difficulty pronouncing Dutch words. I can't even get my throat around "schatje". At least natives consider my pronunciation to be way off.
(And no, Dutch "sch" is not pronounced "sh" like in German!)

Haha, I find some vowel sounds slightly more hard, like ui!
As a scouser the throat scraping sch/g noise comes rather too easily D:
Original post by pomme de terre
Hiya, I do Japanese at uni, I think N3 is around A level standard (I take it you passed?) So if you just make sure you know everything on the syllabus, yeah just enter as a private candidate!

Are you studying at university? Senpai!!! Yes I passed N3 but the score is not so good so I'm going to do it again this July. Did you take a-level Japanese? Thanks for your advice:wink:
Reply 138
Original post by HumiT

Where are you originally from?
Yeah GCSE is very easy :P
How did you do at AS? :smile:
Original post by Mequa
This phenomenon got me interested in the psychology of language acquisition. According to critical period theory, exposure to many languages at a young age (and Arubans start young) leads to it being very easily to acquire fluency without much effort. (In contrast, delaying learning a foreign language until adulthood makes it very difficult.)

Dutch, English and Spanish are also very common languages on Aruba (in addition to their mother tongue), so an Aruban child gets full immersion in them all. Their mind soaks them up like a sponge. The educational system is the perfect compliment.
And another phenomenon is that the more languages a person is proficient in, the easier it is to add another (particularly related languages such as other European ones).
So fluency in 6 languages isn't quite as difficult as it seems in such an environment.

:redface: wow just wow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending