The Student Room Group

Difficult to see iodine on the miniscus?

Hi there,

I'm using a 0.1 conc iodine and it's quite difficult to see where it is on the miniscus... any way I could make sure it's exactly on the miniscus? How would they do this in a real chemical industry?

Many thanks ! :smile:
this is in no way a really technical or accurate way of doing it but when we were using potassium manganate VII in a titration and we couldn't see the meniscus because the compound was quite a dark purple. Our teacher told us to shine a light through the burette (most of us used our phone screens) and this made it easier to distinguise where the meniscus was.

There probably is a proper way to do it but this is what we used :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gemmaj
this is in no way a really technical or accurate way of doing it but when we were using potassium manganate VII in a titration and we couldn't see the meniscus because the compound was quite a dark purple. Our teacher told us to shine a light through the burette (most of us used our phone screens) and this made it easier to distinguise where the meniscus was.

There probably is a proper way to do it but this is what we used :smile:

Sounds like you're doing my ISA :colondollar:

Are you doing a year 13 ISA? Lol
Original post by thelooby94
Sounds like you're doing my ISA :colondollar:

Are you doing a year 13 ISA? Lol

what's an ISA ? :colondollar: im in year 13 yeah but im on OCR is that different to your exam board ?
Reply 4
Original post by gemmaj
what's an ISA ? :colondollar: im in year 13 yeah but im on OCR is that different to your exam board ?

It's Bsically an experiment and a follow up test :smile:

In ours, we're doing a titration using potassium permanganate :colondollar:
Original post by thelooby94
It's Bsically an experiment and a follow up test :smile:

In ours, we're doing a titration using potassium permanganate :colondollar:

oh ok! yeah we have those too :smile: we only did a normal practical with potassium permanganate though
Reply 6
I had this with 0.02 moldm-3 iodine. T'was pretty annoying at first but you get used to it. My teacher told me she had burettes with fluorescent increment markings at uni (that might answer your question on the industry solution), that'd make it so much easier...

Quick Reply

Latest