The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lovers in japan
Last adjustment, a week ago on the Monday. And meh, thought about it, and I don't know if I want to be sent abroad tbh! So it's for the best :smile:

Omg I totally did. That was the main reason I applied. My friend after three years got sent to Romania. How COOL is that.

And she said, beginning of April for HoP decisions.

Hope that helps!
The FCO might be the obvious way to get a posting abroad, but my understanding is that it isn't the only way. DfID obviously has postings abroad, but so do others like the Home Office.
Original post by richardp2020
The FCO might be the obvious way to get a posting abroad, but my understanding is that it isn't the only way. DfID obviously has postings abroad, but so do others like the Home Office.

Can you tell me more aout what you know baout the home office and abroad postings please?

Im really, REALLY interested!!
Reply 1843
My understanding of foreign postings is that you can get them - with a bit of luck - in almost any department.

For example, the Home Office has UKBA officers around the world, in addition to FCO staff who tend to handle visas etc. I've also heard of folk being in, say, Dept of Transport and being seconded out to Afghanistan to work on infrastructure development.

Even treasury folk might be posted elsewhere to advise on tax collection for developing countries. I'm sure I read that somewhere fairly recently, though can't remember where, I'm afraid.

So it's not necessary to put all your living-abroad eggs in the FCO basket. Although it's the most obvious choice, it's not the only route.

*Important caveat: I may not know what I'm talking about.
Original post by monthen
I don't suppose anyone who's been successful or unsuccessful for the DS would be willing to share overall scores, so that we can start working out a likely benchmark figure?

Probably asking a lot, so no worries if folk are too shy. Worth a shot!

I'm through to DS FSB with a score of 19.29 - I have no idea if that's high or low.

Just to echo what others have said, the report is really detailed and is broken down into competencies with feedback from each part of the FSAC and the e-tray written exercise. They also summarise your strengths and 'areas for improvement' at the end of the report.

Anybody else care to share?
I finally pluck up the courage to check after a week of not checking...STILL amber-banded for CD and unsuccessful for the other two. I KNOW my chances are slim... I just hate hanging on like this! I can't help but think that while I'm still waiting, there's still a small chance. There's only one more mark adjustment now, isn't there?

This cannot be inducing a healthy and balanced state of mind.
Original post by jiggogogo
I'm through to DS FSB with a score of 19.29 - I have no idea if that's high or low.

Just to echo what others have said, the report is really detailed and is broken down into competencies with feedback from each part of the FSAC and the e-tray written exercise. They also summarise your strengths and 'areas for improvement' at the end of the report.

Anybody else care to share?

When did you find out you were through?

EDIT: From your previous posts, it was ages ago - beginning of Feb right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ellie_flower
Can you tell me more aout what you know baout the home office and abroad postings please?

Im really, REALLY interested!!

I saw a table somewhere that totalled up the number of posting abroad for fast streamers within the different departments. Unfortunately I'm unable to find it at the moment, but as monthen said the UKBA falls within the Home Offices remit and has loads of postings abroad, all of the others did as well, to a lesser degree. I think if you get assigned to a department outside of the FCO and proactively shape your development in a international direction, you'll be able to either second to the FCO or push strongly for an international posting within your own.

I'm in for TiB (Fingers crossed for the FSB :K:), so could get an FCO posting, but if not I'll be going for DfID or the Home Office instead as preference instead. I lived in Japan for four years, so hopefully if I get through that will act in my favour :smile:
Original post by comeluckyapril
I finally pluck up the courage to check after a week of not checking...STILL amber-banded for CD and unsuccessful for the other two. I KNOW my chances are slim... I just hate hanging on like this! I can't help but think that while I'm still waiting, there's still a small chance. There's only one more mark adjustment now, isn't there?

This cannot be inducing a healthy and balanced state of mind.

It's definitely not healthy! I hate this.

Might be silly to ask but, is this one last mark adjustment for all schemes? And when is it? I haven't heard yet (I've just hit the week mark) so does that mean that everyone waiting to hear will hear on the same day?
Original post by F6053721
It's definitely not healthy! I hate this.

Might be silly to ask but, is this one last mark adjustment for all schemes? And when is it? I haven't heard yet (I've just hit the week mark) so does that mean that everyone waiting to hear will hear on the same day?

There's a few people on this thread in our situation still, I think, so at least it's comforting to know we're not alone! I've been waiting over a fortnight now. I THINK (it's definitely a few pages back) that the last adjustment is at the end of March. I'm sure someone else who's actually contacted the team directly will be able to give you more accurate information though! Are you waiting for CD?

EDIT: Oh dear! I've only posted 20-odd times here and I've never had anyone do that negative rep thing. What does it mean? That they disagree with something I've said, or I've posted something inaccurate?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by comeluckyapril
There's a few people on this thread in our situation still, I think, so at least it's comforting to know we're not alone! I've been waiting over a fortnight now. I THINK (it's definitely a few pages back) that the last adjustment is at the end of March. I'm sure someone else who's actually contacted the team directly will be able to give you more accurate information though! Are you waiting for CD?

I'm waiting to find out about HR. hopefully hear soon. I'm just trying to look at it like, at least I haven't had a no yet! That's getting me through the day
Reply 1851
Original post by F6053721
Me too. Only did FSAC last week but I'm trying to think that no news means I've not got a "no" yet, but this waiting is already stressing me

At least you've not got too long to wait. I've developed proper mood swings over this wait in the last couple of months. One minute I think I'm okay to wait, the fact that I'm still here after so many narrowings must mean I did okay and it'll be worth the wait if I get in.
BUT one click onto my fast stream homepage with "0 messages" and 5 mins later I'm cursing the wait, saying how bad it is to keep people waiting that long and thinking I'd rather know now either way!! Unfortunately for the nice people on this forum I tend to log on here after the fast stream website so they get the brunt of it lol :colondollar:
Original post by rach2012
At least you've not got too long to wait. I've developed proper mood swings over this wait in the last couple of months. One minute I think I'm okay to wait, the fact that I'm still here after so many narrowings must mean I did okay and it'll be worth the wait if I get in.
BUT one click onto my fast stream homepage with "0 messages" and 5 mins later I'm cursing the wait, saying how bad it is to keep people waiting that long and thinking I'd rather know now either way!! Unfortunately for the nice people on this forum I tend to log on here after the fast stream website so they get the brunt of it lol :colondollar:

I was originally supposed to attend on 2nd feb but had to rearrange otherwise I think I would be having a major breakdown by now had I been waiting all that time!
Reply 1853
Long time lurker here!

I applied last year and got immediately rejected due to the online skills tests (mmm, ranked in the *bottom* 4% for the competency section, I didn't realise it was a test!).

This year: Re-applied on the 30th November, completed e-Tray the week before Christmas (immediately successful) and FSAC on 13th Feb. Through to TiB FSB with 18.39 (rejected from CD at the first stage as with last year, almost certainly due to my competency section again). Lowest competencies 2.88, highest 3.25.

I must say that I've really enjoyed the process so far - the e-Tray and FSAC were both very engaging and stimulating activities! I really enjoyed the Briefing exercise, and was less comfortable with the second policy rec exercise (mismanaged my time with the reading, rookie mistake!).

Echoing what others have said, the FSAC report is really useful; in-depth and with good identification of your strengths and weaknesses.

(Oh, and in terms of age, I'm pretty much the same age as Stomm :smile: )

Good luck to those still awaiting results (and to those with FSBs), and to those that were unsuccessful, unlucky - but just like with the driving test, failing once can be so much of a learning experience that the second time round the odds are that you'll probably fare better :smile:
Just got my FSAC report back, turned out I scored quite low, 14.15, but there were some very useful feedback and I plan on utilising them the best I can.
I saw a table somewhere that totalled up the number of posting abroad for fast streamers within the different departments.

You will probably be interested in http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmpubacc/1284/1284we04.htm

It shows what presence other government departments have on the FCO's platform overseas - however, it is all civil servants and not just Fast Streamers.

Also, some of the figures may be slightly misleading, i.e.:

- 40% of UKBA slots are supposed to go to FCO staff;
- UKTI is 'co-owned' by BIS and the FCO who both provide the majority of the staff.

I lived in Japan for four years, so hopefully if I get through that will act in my favour

I'll send you a PM about this - I'd be interested in your experiences in Japan.. as I'm due to go there shortly..
Original post by gt94sss2
You will probably be interested in http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmpubacc/1284/1284we04.htm

It shows what presence other government departments have on the FCO's platform overseas - however, it is all civil servants and not just Fast Streamers.

Also, some of the figures may be slightly misleading, i.e.:

- 40% of UKBA slots are supposed to go to FCO staff;
- UKTI is 'co-owned' by BIS and the FCO who both provide the majority of the staff.

That's really interesting thanks. Even minus the 40% FCO allocation that still leaves 1000 overseas roles within the UKBA, seems like if you wanted to go in that direction you could. Guess if I make it through the TiB FSB, I'm going to choose FCO, HO, DFID, BIS in that order.
Hi guys,

I'm trying to plan a holiday between finishing my current job and starting on the Faststream.

What sort of start dates do you think there might be? This probably depends on department?

Do we have any choice about when we start, within reason of course?

Do you think if I booked something now, that later on clashed with the start date by a little, the Faststream would mind that much?

Cheers all :smile:
That's really interesting thanks. Even minus the 40% FCO allocation that still leaves 1000 overseas roles within the UKBA, seems like if you wanted to go in that direction you could. Guess if I make it through the TiB FSB, I'm going to choose FCO, HO, DFID, BIS in that order.

Not certain that fast streamers are really involved in the border control agency or serious organised crime abroad!! Its a shame, but it does make me think as a GFS there really arent many opportuities for a global posting..
Original post by more tea vicar?
Hi guys,

I'm trying to plan a holiday between finishing my current job and starting on the Faststream.

What sort of start dates do you think there might be? This probably depends on department?

Do we have any choice about when we start, within reason of course?

Do you think if I booked something now, that later on clashed with the start date by a little, the Faststream would mind that much?

Cheers all :smile:

Not sure on this. I'd try emailing them and asking maybe. I know most employers tend to honour holidays already booked when you start cos I've always been asked if I have any booked so they can sort time off. But not sure about start date.

I'd be interested to know though cos I'm thinking of leaving my current job and going away for the summer before starting if I can.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending