The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by tif49
I had my interview yesterday and today I got a text saying I got the job! :smile:

Congratulations! What department is it for?

You'll love the inductions, 20 hours of watching dvds, having things read out to you and a store tour! Also be prepared to sign your name, lots.
Reply 841
Original post by _N_
One of the new one's where you have to review yourself? Ha, I didn't bother doing it, I just did it when my department manager wanted to talk through it...

Guess it's a new one? Have to put like what I contribute to mcm, mac etc... what I contribute to the team
Reply 842
Original post by Jamin
Congratulations! What department is it for?

You'll love the inductions, 20 hours of watching dvds, having things read out to you and a store tour! Also be prepared to sign your name, lots.

Aw thanks. It's for the checkout position.

My induction is on Monday and Tuesday. 9-6 both days! That's long.

So it's just DVDs and signing papers and a tour?

Hey! On the bright side, at least you get paid for it.
Reply 843
Original post by tif49
Aw thanks. It's for the checkout position.

My induction is on Monday and Tuesday. 9-6 both days! That's long.

So it's just DVDs and signing papers and a tour?

Hey! On the bright side, at least you get paid for it.

Yeah that's essentially it, you'll be introduced to the company values and all that, there's a great deal about health & safety if I remember correctly and all that safe working practice. You'll get a lot about Think 25 and the penalties for underage sales, what goods are age restricted and identifying proxy sales etc.

You'll also have checkout training obviously, though I can't remember if this was part of the 2nd day of inductions or a 3rd day specifically for it.

When you do get 'let loose' on a checkout you'll be paired up with somebody and you'll watch what they do for a while, then you will swap places and they will keep you right for a few hours.
Just remember your greetings, ask them if they need bags and if they found everything they were looking for, try engage them in conversation, some customers will be very chatty and sometimes even start the conversation themselves, personally I think it's near impossible to have a massive conversation with everyone, so just always be aware of how long your queue is. Also remember to ask them if there's anything else you can do for them before you go.

Of course you'll find out all of this at your inductions but just thought I'd mention it now, on checkouts that is pretty much the basic level of service they expect from you and should net the department a decent MCM score if you encounter the mystery shopper.

Hope you enjoy checkouts more than I did! :rolleyes:
Reply 844
Had my till training today and was paired with someone for a few hours this afternoon / evening and it was good, very fast paced but rewarding. The job itself seems straightforward but there are loads of things i dont know including how to do the coinstar receipts and other coupons.
The most difficult thing is working out the fruit and veg, it took me ages to find them on the till, does anyone know how i could get better at this? Its frustrating.
I have yet to meet my department manager, saw a brief glimpse of her today. Do i go to her and ask for overtime, will want to do some when i get settled in.
My scanning target is 21, which i think is a bit too much but I was told by my buddy it will come naturally to me.
Scanning and packing looks a real task to me although most customers pack their own stuff, what is the best way to wet the bags? do i bring in my own cloth or do I ask for one?

Start my first proper shift on friday, so nervous but looking forward to it :smile:
Reply 845
Original post by thatg
Guess it's a new one? Have to put like what I contribute to mcm, mac etc... what I contribute to the team

Yep, I had that one in December. When I asked why they were doing this new review system, they said it was because the company found out from the colleague questionnaires earlier in the year that colleagues were rather disengaged or something...so wanted more feedback from them. Hahaha.
Original post by *Jey_Loz*
Anyone working in HR or as a Store Trainer?

There are 2 vacancies for each of these roles at my store and I want to apply desperately, but am wondering if I actually stand a chance?

It's an internal vacancy 24 hours a week, I've worked there for over 4 years now but am sick of the checkout dept, really feel like I need something new. I'm at uni so the hours suit me, evenings and saturdays as they've stated, and I'm studying a business degree so I have great knowledge of excel and all the admin bits and bobs, but all of the HR staff and Store Trainers in my store seem to be older, the store seems to like pushing students towards to more boring jobs and lesser responsibility, is this common across all stores??

Me!! I'm 20 and I'm a Store Trainer. I had been on checkouts for about two and a half years when I became a Store Trainer. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message :smile:
Reply 847
Original post by RJ100
Had my till training today and was paired with someone for a few hours this afternoon / evening and it was good, very fast paced but rewarding. The job itself seems straightforward but there are loads of things i dont know including how to do the coinstar receipts and other coupons.
The most difficult thing is working out the fruit and veg, it took me ages to find them on the till, does anyone know how i could get better at this? Its frustrating.
I have yet to meet my department manager, saw a brief glimpse of her today. Do i go to her and ask for overtime, will want to do some when i get settled in.
My scanning target is 21, which i think is a bit too much but I was told by my buddy it will come naturally to me.
Scanning and packing looks a real task to me although most customers pack their own stuff, what is the best way to wet the bags? do i bring in my own cloth or do I ask for one?

Start my first proper shift on friday, so nervous but looking forward to it :smile:

All you do with coupons is scan them through when you've finished all the shopping and went onto the last menu thing (after you click enter, nectar, etc). Coinstar coupons have 2 barcodes for some reason, the top one is the one that scans through, the other doesn't, so I put my finger over the bottom one so I don't scan it accidentally. If the coinstar voucher is more than what they've actually spent eg their voucher is £13, they spent £10, I don't scan it, I just click voucher and add the amount...they're allowed to get change from the coinstar ones.

Don't worry, I was absolutely horrific with finding my way through the PLU menu when I first started. It's something you'll memorise as you go on. I get caught out every now and again when they randomly change the location of an item.

Yeah, you can ask your department manager or team leader about overtime.

I don't know what you mean by wetting the bags, though.
Anyone know anything about the year long placements Sainsburys offer? I'm currently in my first year at university and a year of my course is a placement. I'm dual store at the moment and thought it might be a good idea to get 'transferred' to my placement so I can keep my discount card and stuff :smile:
So yeh just asking if anyone has had any experince about this and how easy it is to get a placement..

Thanks!
Reply 849
Original post by _N_
All you do with coupons is scan them through when you've finished all the shopping and went onto the last menu thing (after you click enter, nectar, etc). Coinstar coupons have 2 barcodes for some reason, the top one is the one that scans through, the other doesn't, so I put my finger over the bottom one so I don't scan it accidentally. If the coinstar voucher is more than what they've actually spent eg their voucher is £13, they spent £10, I don't scan it, I just click voucher and add the amount...they're allowed to get change from the coinstar ones.

Don't worry, I was absolutely horrific with finding my way through the PLU menu when I first started. It's something you'll memorise as you go on. I get caught out every now and again when they randomly change the location of an item.

Yeah, you can ask your department manager or team leader about overtime.

I don't know what you mean by wetting the bags, though.

Hey thanks for your response.
I had a customer who handed me their nectar card and expected me to know that they wanted to pay part of their shopping with their rewards :colondollar: Although other customers who did told me when they were about to pay.

The PLU button is awful but i guess its one of those things that takes time.

Wetting bags mean opening bags for customers who need them to pack as they are tricky to get open but do most customers open the bags themselves, most of mine were and I hope they will be able to.
Also on your checkout where do u keep your bags?

:smile:
Anyone know the opening window for reductions on a weekday?
Reply 851
Original post by RJ100
Hey thanks for your response.
I had a customer who handed me their nectar card and expected me to know that they wanted to pay part of their shopping with their rewards :colondollar: Although other customers who did told me when they were about to pay.

The PLU button is awful but i guess its one of those things that takes time.

Wetting bags mean opening bags for customers who need them to pack as they are tricky to get open but do most customers open the bags themselves, most of mine were and I hope they will be able to.
Also on your checkout where do u keep your bags?

:smile:

Oh, you don't need to wet them. I hate it when customers lick there fingers to open the bags, ha. I find it easiest opening bags from the middle part right at the top...I just sorta push the sides away from each other with my finger and thumb...I feel like I've been working there too long if I have a technique for bag opening XD

I don't know if it's the same as other stores, but at ours, on the left hand side of your checkout (like, directly in front of you), there's this metal thing that you can pull out and hang the bags on. It's easier than pulling them out from underneath the table
Reply 852
Original post by _N_
Oh, you don't need to wet them. I hate it when customers lick there fingers to open the bags, ha. I find it easiest opening bags from the middle part right at the top...I just sorta push the sides away from each other with my finger and thumb...I feel like I've been working there too long if I have a technique for bag opening XD

I don't know if it's the same as other stores, but at ours, on the left hand side of your checkout (like, directly in front of you), there's this metal thing that you can pull out and hang the bags on. It's easier than pulling them out from underneath the table

I imagine most checkouts are the same design, ours had that...then again we just went through a massive refit and it wouldn't surprise me if they took something like that away, they got rid of the second conveyor which means if the customer isn't packing quick enough you'll have to bloody stop and help them to make space. They also did away with automatic doors into the warehouse which really seemed like a step backwards...
Reply 853
Original post by _N_

Hey!

at my store I think the bags are kept underneath which will be a pain.
I am mainly worried about working out the single and weight fruit and veg, any suggestions on how I could better? We really should have been given a leaflet or something to help with the checkout options.

Got my first shift tomorrow and im so nervous!!
Original post by Negotiator
Anyone know the opening window for reductions on a weekday?

1pm
I really don't think my line manager likes me.

He never has anything to say to me, and rarely even makes eye contact with me, and often turns his back to me even when he is talking.

I work 2 evenings and all weekend. I do not feel as though I am part of the department.

Truth be told, I don't like many people there anyway, but a job is a job. I workfor the money.

I think others (including my manager) think I am negative and always moaning, miserable etc. I believe this may contribute to why my manager dislikes me.

Is this a downward spiral, which could lead to me being sacked or moved on? Or do I have grounds to believe that my manager is just weak and listens to all the old biddies who bitch behind my back?

I recently had a CPR and was told that I do not have any 'good days' despite the fact that IMO I am one of the hardest workers there.

Yet it seems I am not allowed to just work hard, I have to be part of a 'family' as well. :rolleyes:
Original post by RJ100
Hey!

at my store I think the bags are kept underneath which will be a pain.
I am mainly worried about working out the single and weight fruit and veg, any suggestions on how I could better? We really should have been given a leaflet or something to help with the checkout options.

Got my first shift tomorrow and im so nervous!!

That kind of thing is a little confusing at first, but it is the same for every new starter.

You will pick up the hang of it eventually, and it will take less time than you think. Supervisors are always on hand (just a press of a button away) to help you out if need be. :cool:

Good luck tomorrow.
Hello what quesitons do you get asked at the interview - im a pharmacy assitant.?

Also this dvd test - anyone know how i can prepare?
Reply 858
Hey does anyone know what the commercial team is about?
Reply 859
Original post by RJ100
Hey does anyone know what the commercial team is about?

The commercial department can be broken into 4 different components. Warehouse/reception with Warehouse Assistants which deals with receiving depot and supplier deliveries, sorting them and sending back roll cages, pallets, etc.. General office with Admin Assistants who deal with central stores orders (carrier bags, deli wrap, anything non saleable really) and delivery paperwork checking. Cash office with Admin Assistants who do filling the ATMs, receiving and depositing money, counting and balancing cash from tills. Finally price control with Admin Assistants and Price & Advertising Controllers who look after the store ticketing, shelf edge advertising, hanging adverts, posters, deal with scanning errors and complete other pricing paperwork. There is often a Warehouse team leader and Admin team leader who look after each relevant bit whilst the Commercial Manager also investigates till shorts, contractor issues and store controllable costs. :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending