The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Britain is a terrible society to live in - 2012.

For anyone, it is terrible.

- Hatred is so rife between class, racial and religious boundaries.
- 50% income tax on higher income earning individuals
- The majority of British women tend to have terrible personalities. Note i said personalities, not specifically looks. They look down on the men and especially along class boundaries their prejudice is apparent, even more so than racial based discrimination.
- Nanny state subjects who hate all that are not the same as them. Whether they are from a different area of the country (north v south divide, divide amongst regions themselves)
- The weather.
- Northern Ireland (A God awful place filled with some of the most detestable people i have ever had the displeasure of witnessing, mostly chronically drunk individuals). I seriously don't know why people are so bothered about that place.
- Delusions of grandeur. Well, unless you're upper class, as a Brit you were just as oppressed as many subjects of the conquered territories in the Empire, your own leaders saw you as vagrant underclass sub humans if you were not one of them (back in the days of the empire). So, there.

The only area which makes this UK worthwhile to live in is it's academics. This country does still retain some of the world's best.

And yes, i will gladly let the door hit me on the way out. It can't be worse than remaining here thats for sure.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well it produced ungrateful people like you so yes, it must be terrible.
Original post by mirin?

- The majority of British women tend to have terrible personalities. Note i said personalities, not specifically looks. They look down on the men and especially along class boundaries their prejudice is apparent, even more so than racial based discrimination.
- Nanny state subjects who hate all that are not the same as them. Whether they are from a different area of the country (north v south divide, divide amongst regions themselves)
- The weather.
- Northern Ireland (A God awful place filled with some of the most detestable people i have ever had the displeasure of witnessing, mostly chronically drunk individuals). I seriously don't know why people are so bothered about that place.
- Delusions of grandeur. Well, unless you're upper class, as a Brit you were just as oppressed as many subjects of the conquered territories in the Empire, your own leaders saw you as vagrant underclass sub humans if you were not one of them (back in the days of the empire). So, there.

The only area which makes this UK worthwhile to live in is it's academics. This country does still retain some of the world's best.

And yes, i will gladly let the door hit me on the way out. It can't be worse than remaining here thats for sure.

**** Yeah!
You're so negative!!! I love being British and living in Britain. I love the camaraderie of working class culture (especially the post-hardcore, skins, ska and punk scene!), the literature, the countryside, the architecture. I was recently away for 5 months and I've returned back to the UK for a coupla weeks and it's heaven here. I missed it so much, it will always be my home!
Reply 4
Brool Cory Sto.
Reply 5
Original post by artery08
Well it produced ungrateful people like you so yes, it must be terrible.

I am not ungrateful. As i said, I am only 20 so i appreciate the education i've had so far in some of the best institutions the world has to offer. Of these institutions, the UK should be proud of.

But should i be grateful to the government and the vast majority of people? No. The government totally screw the wrong people over and are happy to continue facilitating this post Marxist revolution type of hellhole scenario where the hardworking are punished and are forced to support the chronically unemployed feckless.

The UK has a major problem with class warfare. It has never had a class based revolution before as far as i know, and it shows.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
There are millions out there who would love to reside in the UK and be a part of British culture. But I guess everyone has their opinion, I haven't been on the isles in 8 years but eventually I'll move back.

By the way, where do you plan on moving to?
Reply 7
Original post by mirin?

- The weather.

So what do you propose we do about it? Or do you just enjoy complaining?
Don't quite agree with all your points, but I'm not a fan of Britain either. After uni I'm off to Canada.
Reply 9
Original post by O'Donovan
So what do you propose we do about it? Or do you just enjoy complaining?

Instead of preaching about politically correct matters in schools, there needs to be a reassertion of individual morals/ethics. People need to be taught the consequences of their own actions on others and the society they live in as a whole.

There also needs to be a stronger community spirit. David Cameron don't have it far wrong with their buzz word 'Big Society' idea, but the trouble is that it just hasn't worked and needs more careful thought instead of being merely a part of a political series of soundbites.

And family values need to be addressed urgently. The idea of being more collective in terms of relationships with others is what needs to be emphasised.

But more importantly, people need to learn about the consequences of their actions and not what society could do for them but what they could do for society. Society needs to be a lot more cohesive and socially collective as a whole.

And the government in return has to stop being incompetent and prevent banks from taking such negligent measures to maximise profits at the potential risk of the stability of a whole nations economy. The drawbacks of introducing prophylactic measures on banks is that they would simply move a lot of business overseas, which is why it is so difficult, because the country needs the banks.

But hey, i am a dreamer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by fabbykadabra
Don't quite agree with all your points, but I'm not a fan of Britain either. After uni I'm off to Canada.

So am i.
Reply 11

=

OR

:banana2:
Original post by mirin?

There are plenty of valid criticisms of the UK to be made but this is an absurd generalisation. If you're finding you're having issues with the majority of women you encounter, I'd suggest the problem might be with you rather than them.
Reply 13
as mp would say...the OP is right. but he doesn't analyze carefully enough the reasons for the awful condition of gender relations.

it's not only the op. the number of complaints we read here on tsr about girls having superiority complexes, being tight, unapproachable, judgmental, etc. the classic brit chicks.. they're just awful. in the costa rican cafe we all heard the brit witch. as soon as she got on skype to her steadyeddy bf at home the rending screeching began. f- us all! mierda, una chica británica de perra...es tan clásico!

the princess complex is manifested everywhere. it's not only the girls. it's fed by the dreadful hostility and random thuggery of the brit males who make the girls feel uncomfortable, threatened, uneasy. the result is this awful dynamic of females using hypocritical princess complexes to buffer the socalled nice guys and yielding to the idiocy of the forceful fools. who curse the girls for being slags and whores with their mates. yeah, a classy culture. the op points this out in a restrained and thoughtful way.
Reply 14
Ephebiphobia
Reply 15
I look at other countries in this world and I'm so glad that I was born here. It is such a safe and healthy (if you look after yourself properly. Life expectancy is very high) place to live and I try to remind myself of this whenever I'm pissed off about something. We have so many oppurtunities as Britons, although most people don't make the most of it and just let life pass by.

Ok, you may think there are better countries out there to live in, and you're probably right. However, living in Britain is a privilege that most 2nd and 3rd world country citizens could only dream off. But feel free to **** off OP, you pompous ****.
Reply 16
Original post by mfc1993DP
I look at other countries in this world and I'm so glad that I was born here. It is such a safe and healthy (if you look after yourself properly. Life expectancy is very high) place to live and I try to remind myself of this whenever I'm pissed off about something. We have so many oppurtunities as Britons, although most people don't make the most of it and just let life pass by.

Ok, you may think there are better countries out there to live in, and you're probably right. However, living in Britain is a privilege that most 2nd and 3rd world country citizens could only dream off. But feel free to **** off OP, you pompous ****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

britain at #20. below martinique, tied with belgium martinique germany.

not bad by world standards. but some distance below the world leaders.

then, people let life pass them by. so those years can be wasted. yes. that's the lament here on tsr. british culture crushes dreams, ambition, desire.

don't do it. don't spend one more second in that stoke-on-trent miasma.
Reply 17
Original post by ghostofmp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

britain at #20. below martinique, tied with belgium martinique germany.

not bad by world standards. but some distance below the world leaders.

then, people let life pass them by. so those years can be wasted. yes. that's the lament here on tsr. british culture crushes dreams, ambition, desire.

don't do it. don't spend one more second in that stoke-on-trent miasma.

That backs up what I said. I acknowledged that Britain is not the best but many more people have a harder life in less developed countries just because they happened to be born there. We should just count ourselves lucky that our country is one of the more developed countries.

Tbf we are all individuals and so I wouldn't care less if people just sat around wasting their own lives as I'm ceasing the opportunities that living in such a developed country gives me. However those people contribute nothing and therefore we have to pay taxes to allow them benefits which they do not deserve. I think this is why people get pissed off. Also these people are just not nice to be around (I'm thinking chavs, pikeys that drink and stink of piss). I like watching them on Jeremy Kyle but would avoid them in the streets.
Reply 18
Big Society: Is David Cameron the new Che Guevara?

Both espouse/d the idea of the individual giving to the common good. Che Guevara believed every individual should volunteer on weekends to help Cuba out and strive to solve it's problems. David Cameron seems to believe the same. The difference is, Che's belief stemmed from the view that if we all work together and invest in each other, we will grow together. Cameron's seems to stem from a desire to reduce the State's role and instead pass it onto the local people. The local people in these problem areas who need the volunteering, of course, tend to be the poorest...It is also not attracting the input hoped for. Why? Because people don't believe in it. They can see that once again Britain is being subjected to the "summint for nutin" culture; oh but it's not from the poor...It's from the rich.

The rich seem to expect that they can enjoy the benefits of this country without having to share the burden. Pay a little more tax on your large income because times are kind of tough right now and some people don't even have a job?...Nope, that's disgraceful. Maybe we could keep taxes a little higher to help pay for youth centres for the disadvantaged, or to have community support areas staffed with full-time paid workers? Nope; cut taxes, "*uck 'em, probably immigrants anyway". No wonder we haven't yet materialised the "Big Society" into the Communist-esqe idea once envisioned; we're "common" but we're not stupid.

People use the buzz-word "Nanny-State" alot. I don't know about you but I was kind of glad I had a Nanny around to prevent me from falling into broken glass or eating something stupid. Yeah, Sharon (my Nanny) p*ssed me off at times; she would shout at me when I was acting up or being naught, and all sorts... but she was also there as somebody who would listen when my older brother was being cruel [unjust] to me; she listened, helped and punished wrong-doings.

So, I don't know about you but having a society without a "nanny" sounds pretty s*itty to me.

But hey, why don't we solve it all by "learning the consequences of our actions" which is what exactly? How do we teach that? You keep mindlessly saying it like some silly mantra but it doesn't even mean anything. I anticipate soon you will start saying Britain needs to be "more dynamic" or "get ready for the future" - they are fillers; thing's Politicians say because they sound nice and seem important but they mean nothing. I think you're not quite understanding the complexity of politics; the web which is both social interaction and the economy.

I suspect you're A-Level to first year undergraduate: probably why you support the academic side of the UK, lest you insult yourself.

I agree with you, this country is crappy but the reason it is, is because of people like you. We need to follow a North European route; welfare and education before corportations. I see value in corporates and believe shareholders are the best way of distributing wealth - but I don't believe in surrendering all to them.

The role of the Government is to remain silent on all issues except those where they must balance the interests of the parties. That is liberalism.

Currently, the UK swings far too far to the businesses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mirin?
Instead of preaching about politically correct matters in schools, there needs to be a reassertion of individual morals/ethics. People need to be taught the consequences of their own actions on others and the society they live in as a whole.

There also needs to be a stronger community spirit. David Cameron don't have it far wrong with their buzz word 'Big Society' idea, but the trouble is that it just hasn't worked and needs more careful thought instead of being merely a part of a political series of soundbites.

And family values need to be addressed urgently. The idea of being more collective in terms of relationships with others is what needs to be emphasised.

But more importantly, people need to learn about the consequences of their actions and not what society could do for them but what they could do for society. Society needs to be a lot more cohesive and socially collective as a whole.

And the government in return has to stop being incompetent and prevent banks from taking such negligent measures to maximise profits at the potential risk of the stability of a whole nations economy. The drawbacks of introducing prophylactic measures on banks is that they would simply move a lot of business overseas, which is why it is so difficult, because the country needs the banks.

But hey, i am a dreamer.

No, you're an idiot and know ****all about sociology, political systems and ethics. Shut up.

Latest

Trending

Trending