The Student Room Group

Manchester vs Warwick vs York for CS

Hi guys! :smile:

I have an offer from Imperial for CS and can't decide about my insurance.

From the research I've done, it seems that York is the worst academically. Not that it's bad, just in comparison.

And I prefer Warwick over Manchester because I prefer a smaller city. But the city is less important than the course quality.

So, guys, what can you tell me about the courses of these unis? :tongue:
Reply 1
I don't know what research you've done but York probably has the best course. It's very hard to differentiate the 3 based on course quality though, probably better to look at the actual course content. York is also a small city and AAB gives a very nice bit of leeway.
Reply 2
If York really is the best out of these, my problem is solved. I totally prefer a town as small as possible.

Unless... any one disagrees about York's course?
Reply 3
Original post by arghaton
If York really is the best out of these, my problem is solved. I totally prefer a town as small as possible.

Unless... any one disagrees about York's course?

If you don't like hardware then don't go to York. If you think you might be interested in finance/banking in the future go to Warwick. I think that's all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
^What tooosh said.

Rep wise: Warwick is a targeted University in terms of employers (seen as part of the top 6). Not too sure about the others.
Reply 5
I'll go with Warwick then :wink:
York is (or was) second only to Cambridge for CS.

Warwick makes a better impression.
Reply 7
Warwick wins in terms of graduate prospects, even if the York course is slightly better. It seems that way anyway
Reply 8
Original post by arghaton
Warwick wins in terms of graduate prospects, even if the York course is slightly better. It seems that way anyway

Only because it's a target uni for IB. Otherwise prospects are very similar.
Reply 9
Original post by tooosh
Only because it's a target uni for IB. Otherwise prospects are very similar.

Err no not strictly true.

Warwick has a 100% graduate-job rate, I'm sure not all go into IB.
Reply 10
Original post by f1mad
Err no not strictly true.

Warwick has a 100% graduate-job rate, I'm sure not all go into IB.

You can't really infer too much from stats like that. My point is for most jobs employers wouldn't discriminate between CS from York or Warwick.
Reply 11
Original post by tooosh
You can't really infer too much from stats like that. My point is for most jobs employers wouldn't discriminate between CS from York or Warwick.

You can't say that for sure.

Different employers have different policies.
Reply 12
York has quite a strong CS department, its not great in the overall league tables but the CS is quite good
Reply 13
York is top 10 in the league tables, winner of University of the Year twice, now in the Russell Group and the CS department is excellent. The city itself is lovely and the campus is green and expansive. What's not to love? :smile:
Manchester is an excellent University for Computer Science. I can't vouch for the others, but no doubt they will be great too. I love my course, and I love my department. Employers bend over backwards for us. There is also a LOT of history being C.S. in Manchester. I do M.Eng Software Engineering, at the University of Manchester. The A-Level requirements are A*AA including Maths. The standard CS course is AAB with maths. I can also say that the city of Manchester is definetely, by far, the best of the 3, hands down. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest