The Student Room Group

Certificate of Ranking Msc Economics

Hi guys,

I already sent my application to several Msc Economics, but I just received the official certificate of ranking released by my college.
Should I send it anyway to the schools that I'm applying?.
The thing is that maybe it won't have too much value because I graduated 1st but just among 30 students.
Well each year my programme enroll a little more than 100 students but only 30 finish it.
The average GPA in my programme is 63% and I got 82%.
Will it add value to my application? given the small number of the class.
Please help me to decide if send it or not.
Reply 1
Guys, pleaseee....
Some applications ask for this and I answered, but did not upload the certificate that support the information because how I said, I am concerned that a cohort of 30 may weaken the fact.
Should I send it anyway?
Reply 2
If a university asks for it, you have to send it.

To be honest, I can't see it being a problem. You got a 82% GPA whereas the cohort average is 63%? Is that 63% based on the 30 who actually finished the programme, or the whole set of 100 odd?

If you're in the top half or quarter of your class, it can only benefit you. It's only potentially a concern if the low cohort average GPA is low due to many extreme outliers.
Reply 3
Original post by .ACS.
If a university asks for it, you have to send it.

To be honest, I can't see it being a problem. You got a 82% GPA whereas the cohort average is 63%? Is that 63% based on the 30 who actually finished the programme, or the whole set of 100 odd?

If you're in the top half or quarter of your class, it can only benefit you. It's only potentially a concern if the low cohort average GPA is low due to many extreme outliers.

Thanks, but I just sent it and was accepted :smile:. The 63% is based on all students population in my programme that have completed at least the first year, this would be nearly 500 students. My concern was that my cohort was just 30 students and not for example 100, so maybe it could be seen as a small sample for performance forecasting purposes.

Well how I said I just sent the information and was admitted, so I deduce that it have zero or positive impact but not a negative one.

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending