The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Underage at Freshers week '12 in Aberdeen

Hi,

I've applied to study Management and Human Resources at Robert Gordon's Uni in Aberdeen:biggrin:

The course starts in september, but I'm not 18 till December!

Worried that this will make it harder to make friends and I'll miss nights out!:s-smilie:

Anyone else the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, I'm exactly the same! Except my conditional is for Management with Marketing and I turn 18 in November.
I've heard that during the day there are many different events for meeting folk so I plan to make friends then and find other people who are also underage and see if we can sort some sort of get together?
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by StevenF
Yeah, I'm exactly the same! Except my conditional is for Management with Marketing and I turn 18 in November.
I've heard that during the day there are many different events for meeting folk so I plan to make friends then and find other people who are also underage and see if we can sort some sort of get together?

Oh thank god, I was starting to think I'd miss out big time, as I only know 1 or two people who won't be 18.

What a relief ;D!
Reply 3
(: Have to say, I'm glad you started this thread as I was worrying as well!
Reply 4
Original post by LynneM
Hi,

I've applied to study Management and Human Resources at Robert Gordon's Uni in Aberdeen:biggrin:

The course starts in september, but I'm not 18 till December!

Worried that this will make it harder to make friends and I'll miss nights out!:s-smilie:

Anyone else the same?

Just get someone to buy booze for you and have a massive halls party! :tongue: Orif you can get hold of ID that looks roughly like you before then?
From my freshers week what happened was that everyone bought a freshers pass which enabled free entry to clubs and cheaper drinks (I think). These were bought from the freshers team at halls and they weren't overly strict about ID at all when selling. Clubs and pubs never IDed anyone with these bands because it was assumed that they were 18 before being sold them, so people who were under 18 had the same freshers week as those who were over 18.
Reply 6
I'm going to disagree with the above :p: From my experience, and being a Freshers' Week volunteer, I would advise not to buy a wristband -- they get you entry into offical Aberdeen uni Freshers' clubs, queue jump, and free use of the late night transport -- if you are under 18. I've always found clubs here are very strict with ID, and are also fussy over the form of ID (passport, or driving license/provisional only). You're better to be safe than sorry, and would be a shame to waste ~£35, plus be the one left when all your friends got in. There's plenty of events for underagers, and you'll find many flat or kitchen parties. Hillhead also has The Union Bar, which will have themed night events throughout the week, plus I've never actually seen them ID people so is also a popular place to go.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by StevenF
(: Have to say, I'm glad you started this thread as I was worrying as well!

I know I tottally thought I'd miss out!
Reply 8
Original post by rosie9391
I'm going to disagree with the above :p: From my experience, and being a Freshers' Week volunteer, I would advise not to buy a wristband -- they get you entry into offical Aberdeen uni Freshers' clubs, queue jump, and free use of the late night transport -- if you are under 18. I've always found clubs here are very strict with ID, and are also fussy over the form of ID (passport, or driving license/provisional only). You're better to be safe than sorry, and would be a shame to waste ~£35, plus be the one left when all your friends got in. There's plenty of events for underagers, and you'll find many flat or kitchen parties. Hillhead also has The Union Bar, which will have themed night events throughout the week, plus I've never actually seen them ID people so is also a popular place to go.

See I'm not sure so much about the RGU Union bar ID'ing. It's a shame that they ID at the door and not the bar, as I would be quite happy to get in even if not able to buy drinks!
Original post by LynneM
See I'm not sure so much about the RGU Union bar ID'ing. It's a shame that they ID at the door and not the bar, as I would be quite happy to get in even if not able to buy drinks!

When I was in first year you could get into the RGU union when under 18
and just found this on the union's website from last year:

Under 18? Don’t worry! You are allowed into the Union as long as you are over 16, although you will not be served alcohol at the bar (and will be asked to leave if you are caught drinking). As Liquid is an over 18′s venue, however, you will not be allowed in.

If you are over 18, make sure you carry valid photo ID with you on your night out (a driving license or passport is perfect). Door staff are extra vigilant during Freshers Week so you will most probably be asked to prove your age.

You will also need your student card in order to get into the Union. If you don’t have a student card yet, take along your university acceptance letter.

Can't imagine they would change it this year so ye you can still have a good time and meet people. Enjoy! Any questions about RGU/Aberdeen just ask
:smile:
Just to say, I'm the exact same- Not 18 until November :smile: I would guess there'd be a fair few people under 18 though, so we won't be the only ones hopefully :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by BritainPersonified
Just to say, I'm the exact same- Not 18 until November :smile: I would guess there'd be a fair few people under 18 though, so we won't be the only ones hopefully :P

I dont understand how people starting university can be under 18? did you do you a-levels early or something?
Original post by 2cool
I dont understand how people starting university can be under 18? did you do you a-levels early or something?

No, I'm from Scotland so I did highers. I think our schooling systems differ somehow and so the age we start Primary school and High School is different. I was once told that in Scotland there are thirteen years at school, where as in England there are fourteen?
Reply 13
Original post by emhah
When I was in first year you could get into the RGU union when under 18
and just found this on the union's website from last year:

Under 18? Don’t worry! You are allowed into the Union as long as you are over 16, although you will not be served alcohol at the bar (and will be asked to leave if you are caught drinking). As Liquid is an over 18′s venue, however, you will not be allowed in.

If you are over 18, make sure you carry valid photo ID with you on your night out (a driving license or passport is perfect). Door staff are extra vigilant during Freshers Week so you will most probably be asked to prove your age.

You will also need your student card in order to get into the Union. If you don’t have a student card yet, take along your university acceptance letter.

Can't imagine they would change it this year so ye you can still have a good time and meet people. Enjoy! Any questions about RGU/Aberdeen just ask
:smile:

OMG thank you!
I'm not worried at all now!
Reply 14

Yeah, I'm a lot less worried now hah!
Original post by 2cool

Yes Scotland's equivalent to A-levels are called Highers and they are completely over the duration of a year as opposed to two. We have 6 years of high school whereas I'm sure English/Welsh students have 7?

If I hadn't taken a gap year I would also have been 17 when I started Uni but I just felt that personally I wasn't ready to make the change to uni so went for the gap year option. :P
Original post by LynneM
Yeah, I'm a lot less worried now hah!

Me too to be honest. I mean there's a difference between seeing that there are other underage students, and believing there are other underage students if you know what I mean :smile: :P
Original post by 2cool

Some people go straight to university from fifth year ('a year early' from your point of view) but even if they stay on for sixth year, the cutoffs for each year are different between the two systems. In England it's the end of August, but in Scotland it's the end of February. So someone who was born in September-February would be a fifth year (penultimate year) in Scotland whilst their twin who was schooled south of the border would be a Y11.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Me too to be honest. I mean there's a difference between seeing that there are other underage students, and believing there are other underage students if you know what I mean :smile: :P

Yeah definatley! I'm a lot more chill now haha.
Original post by LynneM
Yeah definatley! I'm a lot more chill now haha.

Agreed. We can always have an underager flat party :P

Quick Reply

Latest