The Student Room Group

Anyone had a bad experience with Remarking?

I'm strongly considering sending off 2 of my papers for a remark as they don't reflect the amount of effort I put it in. I will give details later.

I just want to know if any of you guys have had a bad experience where you ended up with a lower grade than previously due to remarking?

It's annoying having to send off papers that might end up worse than expected...

All I've heard are of people getting higher grades & UMS marks or their grades/marks staying the same.

Has anyone for example dropped from a C to a D? :s-smilie:

Is that even fair seeing as the examiner knows your previous result? .. Thanks.

EDIT: Ok here is my situation (I posted this on another thread so I think I should just paste it here):

I got 2 Ds in two different subjects. One is religious studies unit 10... I received 55 UMS marks... Thats 5 UMS marks away from a C... But if you convert it to raw marks... Thats only 3 marks to get a C! I really thought I had done well.... Im considering remarking this.

I also received a D in sociology which is a nightmare considering how simple the exam was for me. I got a very high B in the second unit though... Not bothering to get it remarked but the D in the first unit dropped my grade down to a C. I got 45 UMS and need 3 UMS marks to get to a C... The UMS boundaries are very close so who knows I could even get to a B... I would need 1 raw mark to get to 48 UMS marks bringing me up to a C T_T

Losing marks scares me though... If I lose 4 raw marks in my RE paper I'm down to an E and if I lose 3 raw marks in my socio paper I'm down to an E as well

So there you have it. Any thoughts?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
A friend dropped 13 marks :p: But on the whole, more go up than down from what I've seen. :smile:
Reply 3
It is possible to go down, my friend got a B in history and sent it off to be remarked, bringing her down to a C (she lost 2 exam marks) however it's true that the majority of remarks go up :smile: X
Reply 4
I've had 2 remarks done. One stayed the same, one went down by a mark.
Very expensive as you dont get your money back unless they go up, I wouldn't really recommend it, I don't know anyone who's gone up from an A-level remark.
Depends on the subjects though i suppose. If they're written subjects ie english, politics it's probably worth a go.
Reply 5
I had my English Language GCSE remarked and it went from a B to an A, but last year I got my Geography Alevel marked and that stayed as a B.
Reply 6
Original post by walkhms
I'm strongly considering sending off 2 of my papers for a remark as they don't reflect the amount of effort I put it in. I will give details later.

I just want to know if any of you guys have had a bad experience where you ended up with a lower grade than previously due to remarking?

It's annoying having to send off papers that might end up worse than expected...

All I've heard are of people getting higher grades & UMS marks or their grades/marks staying the same.

Has anyone for example dropped from a C to a D? :s-smilie:

Is that even fair seeing as the examiner knows your previous result? .. Thanks.

The best option is to get a photocopy of your paper back so a teacher can assess the marking before you decide to go for a re-mark. Sadly, the deadline for asking for a photocopy was today so you have missed that option for this exam season

In general people go for a re-mark when they are close to the next grade boundary and/or have done much worse than expected so you would expect more marks to go up rather than down but they do go down sometimes. If you have a final grade then I would strongly advise not risking a re-mark unless you are close to the boundary above, for unit re-marks it's less clear.
Reply 7
Original post by Revent
A friend dropped 13 marks :p: But on the whole, more go up than down from what I've seen. :smile:

THIRTEEN MARKS? :eek: What subject? I'm scared now.

Original post by xsindy
It is possible to go down, my friend got a B in history and sent it off to be remarked, bringing her down to a C (she lost 2 exam marks) however it's true that the majority of remarks go up :smile: X

Hm 2 marks isn't tooo bad seeing as she was probably too close to a lower grade than a higher one so it was a bad move to send it off for a remark.

Original post by Smartyl33
I've had 2 remarks done. One stayed the same, one went down by a mark.
Very expensive as you dont get your money back unless they go up, I wouldn't really recommend it, I don't know anyone who's gone up from an A-level remark.
Depends on the subjects though i suppose. If they're written subjects ie english, politics it's probably worth a go.

I see. That's what I'm worried about... having to deal with the same mark haha

Original post by Data
The best option is to get a photocopy of your paper back so a teacher can assess the marking before you decide to go for a re-mark. Sadly, the deadline for asking for a photocopy was today so you have missed that option for this exam season

In general people go for a re-mark when they are close to the next grade boundary and/or have done much worse than expected so you would expect more marks to go up rather than down but they do go down sometimes. If you have a final grade then I would strongly advise not risking a re-mark unless you are close to the boundary above, for unit re-marks it's less clear.

Problem is I'm a private candidate anyway so that wasn't an option for me.

Ok here is my situation (I posted this on another thread so I think I should just paste it here):

I got 2 Ds in two different subjects. One is religious studies unit 10... I received 55 UMS marks... Thats 5 UMS marks away from a C... But if you convert it to raw marks... Thats only 3 marks to get a C! I really thought I had done well.... Im considering remarking this.

I also received a D in sociology which is a nightmare considering how simple the exam was for me. I got a very high B in the second unit though... Not bothering to get it remarked but the D in the first unit dropped my grade down to a C. I got 45 UMS and need 3 UMS marks to get to a C... The UMS boundaries are very close so who knows I could even get to a B... I would need 1 raw mark to get to 48 UMS marks bringing me up to a C T_T

Losing marks scares me though... If I lose 4 raw marks in my RE paper I'm down to an E and if I lose 3 raw marks in my socio paper I'm down to an E as well

Reply 8
Original post by walkhms
THIRTEEN MARKS? :eek: What subject? I'm scared now.

Hm 2 marks isn't tooo bad seeing as she was probably too close to a lower grade than a higher one so it was a bad move to send it off for a remark.

I see. That's what I'm worried about... having to deal with the same mark haha

Ok here is my situation (I posted this on another thread so I think I should just paste it here):

Physics.
Reply 9
Original post by Revent
Physics.

Oh I see. How in the hell did that happen? I would expect losing marks in a humanities exam not science?
Reply 10
Depends what subject it is. Subjective ones --> more likely to go up (but down too).

However last year I got my psychology paper remarked and it stayed the same.
I got my chemisty paper remarked and it went up 6ums.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by walkhms
Oh I see. How in the hell did that happen? I would expect losing marks in a humanities exam not science?

It's a rubbish exam board. (OCR B)
Reply 12
Original post by EffKayy
Depends what subject it is. Subjective ones --> more likely to go up (but down too).

All my exams are subjective. Please look above at my 3rd post (in quotation marks at the end) to see my situation and tell me what you think? Thanks a lot!

Original post by Revent
It's a rubbish exam board. (OCR B)

Haha I see. I've heard a few bad things about them. I'm with AQA which seem to have a lot of people requesting remarks these days.
Reply 13
Original post by walkhms

Sorry, you have been badly advised, there is nothing to stop private candidates getting photocopies, they can order them themselves directly or do it through the centre. With Edexcel and OCR the centre can order them in the normal way, with AQA the centre would have to FAX off a request rather than using the online system but it is perfectly possible.
Original post by EffKayy

thats scary a chemistry paper going up that much. A friend of mine had her french AS paper remarked. gained 3 raw marks on the grammar section. You'd think there'd be a maximum of 2 correct answers for each question!!
Reply 15
Original post by Data
Sorry, you have been badly advised, there is nothing to stop private candidates getting photocopies, they can order them themselves directly or do it through the centre. With Edexcel and OCR the centre can order them in the normal way, with AQA the centre would have to FAX off a request rather than using the online system but it is perfectly possible.

I see. Might look into that. Can you read my previous post and tell me what I should do in my situation specifically?
Reply 16
I thought (could be wrong though) that if you got a paper remarked, you would always keep the higher mark. So if they marked it and it went up, you'd take the mark from the remark, and if it went down on the remark, you'd use your original score. Thats what I was told anyway...
Reply 17
I got a remark and it only went up by 1 mark from D to C.

Should have gone up 11 lmfao im so sad
Reply 18
Original post by twelve
I thought (could be wrong though) that if you got a paper remarked, you would always keep the higher mark. So if they marked it and it went up, you'd take the mark from the remark, and if it went down on the remark, you'd use your original score. Thats what I was told anyway...

No. If you have a re-mark then you get the new mark, whatever it is. This is why centres are required to get you to sign to say you understand that before they can submit the re-mark request.

The only exception to this is when coursework is re-moderated, when the overall grade you get in that exam season is guaranteed not go go down.
Reply 19
Original post by walkhms
I see. Might look into that. Can you read my previous post and tell me what I should do in my situation specifically?

It's now too late for a photocopy - the deadline was Friday - so you have to go straight for a re-mark or not bother. The deadline is 17 April. Only about 1 in 5 re-marks result in the mark changing, from my experience of about 200 re-marks (not all mine!) OCR are the least likely to change. Which exam board is it?

Quick Reply

Latest