The Student Room Group

I hate students/student culture!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JCC-MGS
Looks like you came to the right forum

Oh wait

I lol'd
I agree with a lot of the OP's points, particularly the running around at 4am one. I thought people were meant to grow up at university but in my experience they actually go backwards.

In defence of a couple of them though:
- You underestimate friendship. A lot of close friendships develop at university and most people stay in touch.
- Being from a middle class background doesn't mean that your parents actually give you any money towards your degree or your living. So it is quite easy to be middle class and 'poor' (even if your parents aren't). Also, on your point about spending thousands on your degree: well, clearly that doesn't come straight out of your bank account. If Student Finance England didn't exist, university would be a very different place. I for one wouldn't be there.
Reply 62
Just realised this isn't posted in H & R section which is good since I am banned from there... I agree with OP to an extent about students, personally 95% of students I have met were like that, very generic and boring crap talking little *****. I am glad university is over now tbh.
Original post by ilovelabradors
How does this remind you of Kony and why is it bad to want to do something useful for the humanity? And how can you even write **** like that?

Bitch, please....

Stop trying to protest for things when you're only doing it for attention. You spend more time getting attention, acting 'rebellious' against the system when you do nothing for the cause besides causing trouble and getting drunk. Face it you do NOTHING for the cause.

This passage from the OP reminds me of KONY. Half the people spamming this junk know nothing of the long-standing political instability in west and and central Africa, much of it brought on by destabilising acts of exploitation carried out by western governments and multinational corporations. You think donating money to a charity is suddenly going to put a band aid over the deeper issues that open a chasm which people like Joseph Kony come to fill? It the sheer ignorance and "feel good" righteous indignation that gets me.There are many Joseph Konys kicking about in Africa; Rwanda, Sierra Leone, the atrocities that took place in these locales (whilst the rest of the world averted their eyes) is just one of the many examples of the deep rooted problems on the African sub-continent, problems such as infrastructural instability, corrupt governments, economic exploitation, etc... The solution isn't going to come about by giving money to an opportunistic charity. And quite frankly, I feel that the complete lack of education and knowledge that people have about these issues, makes the hypocrisy of the "KONY fad" all the more annoying. If you aren't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. So either acknowledge this and go on with your day, or at least champion a cause that actually makes a difference, though that would require that people actually sat down and learnt what the problem is in the first place. But nooo, we'll just tweet it Twitter, and spam Facebook and youtube to see how many "likes" we can get. Sometimes I despair at humanity.

/rant
(edited 12 years ago)
A rather bizarre question to ask, if I may say so. If it didn't affect him then I doubt this 'rant' would have been contrived in the first place. Being a student himself, he is no doubt surrounded by the people whom he has described so explicitly with no apparent escape. It affects him in every way.
Original post by X_mark_the_spot
This passage from the OP reminds me of KONY. Half the people spamming this junk know nothing of the long-standing political instability in west and and central Africa, much of it brought on by destabilising acts of exploitation carried out by western governments and multinational corporations. You think donating money to a charity is suddenly going to put a band aid over the deeper issues that open a chasm which people like Joseph Kony come to fill? Who donates money? Students donate money?! :s-smilie:
It the sheer ignorance and "feel good" righteous indignation that gets me.There are many Joseph Konys kicking about in Africa; Rwanda, Sierra Leone, the atrocities that took place in these locales (whilst the rest of the world averted their eyes) is just one of the many examples of the deep rooted problems on the African sub-continent, problems such as infrastructural instability, corrupt governments, economic exploitation, etc... You don't say?! :rolleyes:
The solution isn't going to come about by giving money to an opportunistic charity. If you have the solution, tells us what it is! Let's end this together... :rolleyes:
And quite frankly, I feel that the complete lack of education and knowledge that people have about these issues, makes the hypocrisy of the "KONY fad" all the more annoying. The method of sahring info on FB, which you despise, could possibly make more people aware of the issue and also make people want to know more and look for more info.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. Now, this is when the things starts to sound creepy. Anyway, so... you are part of the problem... How naughty.
So either acknowledge this and go on with your day, or at least champion a cause that actually makes a difference, Who are you to say this cause doesn't make a difference?
though that would require that people actually sat down and learnt what the problem is in the first place. But nooo, we'll just tweet it Twitter, and spam Facebook and youtube to see how many "likes" we can get. Sometimes I despair at humanity. I have facebook since 2006 and no one has ever spammed my wall... Anyway, I would like to:
a) Know what is that your doing to help humanity that makes you so special, share with us, we could all be doing the same thing!
b) who do you think you are to label people like that, you don't even know what you are talking about! I don't think people believe they can change the world, but by spreading the word, you may make someone that has the power to do something to consider doing something... Have you ever heard about awareness? In my opinion FB is a cool way to raise awareness because it is simple, convienient and it certainly is more useuful to do so than posting random things about our personal life. Just my opinion though!

You are generalising just as bad as the op, but at least he did it in a funny way.
#

/rant

My answers in green.:smile:
Original post by Miza
Just realised this isn't posted in H & R section which is good since I am banned from there...

LMAO :biggrin:
Reply 67
Someone seems to have recieved a Uni rejection... Great way to deal with it :biggrin:
Reply 68
HAHA I cant believe this has just happened.I am telling the God's honest truth here. A bunch of posh, white students drunks and leery came knocking on everyone's door singing (This is 3am btw). They came to mine and I'm the only one who told them to '**** off' and shut the door on them only to receive racist abuse calling me a terrorist and something about hating Muslims....I am Indian btw :rolleyes:

Seriously this is the behaviour of yobs I wouldn't expect this from posh students.Seriously posh students are the scum of the earth. They should just **** off back to their small towns,
Reply 69
Hush hush, pleb.
Reply 70
Original post by Bonged.
Most of those things are middle class traits.

Excuse me?

Lovely way to generalise.

If someone were to say, all working class people are X there would be an outcry.

So don't dish insults out if you cannot accept them back.
Reply 71
I negged you because you seem to care about getting negged and what everyone else thinks, does and likes.
I honestly could not give a crap about what people wear or what music they like, long as it does not affect me I'm fine. :colondollar:
Apart from when people start handing out Kony 2012 crap because its 'popular, that rather annoys me... Now that I think about it everything annoys me. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
If by an accident a meteor fell down onto my university, I wouldn't exactly lose sleep over it.
Original post by MancBoy
Neggers at the ready!

Well like I said they never fail to annoy me. Seriously calm the **** down. Yes I know you're away from home possibly from a small quiet and boring town but stop acting like a spaz!

Firstly why do you act like pretentious douches! Seriously stop trying to be sophisticated with your opinions and coffee shops. Sorry but you're jobless students not business women! and your opinions should not automatically be listened to.

Stop acting and whining like you're poor when you have just spent thousands on your degree and you come from a middle class family from the posh suburbs.

Stop trying to protest for things when you're only doing it for attention. You spend more time getting attention, acting 'rebellious' against the system when you do nothing for the cause besides causing trouble and getting drunk. Face it you do NOTHING for the cause.

You are not celebrities. Stop acting like talentless celebrities from stupid shows like TOWIE. These people are tards. Stop making celebrities out of these people. They are not role models!

Stop ruining good music. Dubstep is being murdered by you lot jumping on the bandwagon. Please think for yourselves and stop being a sheep...stick to your indie :P

Stop wearing vintage, chinos, toms, Ugg, uni hoodies, beanies, anything from topman, Jack wills etc . Please you are all trying to be different but you all end up looking the same!

Just because you're a posh student doesn't mean you can do whatever you please. Shouting and screaming at 4am when there are people trying the sleep! Stop littering everywhere with your kebabs and empty WKD bottles (lol). Stop swearing in front of kids on the bus and talking about rape thinking its funny. Seriously you would hate it if I did that in your own city on your mum's street.

Also why do you insist on taking photos EVERYWHERE just to post on Facebook. The only reason you go out is because you can get your picture count up on Facebook. Seriously stop being insecure about your 'social lives' and just have fun. Photos are unnecessary, having a good time is. All the photos generally look the same anyway and noone really cares! Also what is it with these attention seeking statuses as if the world is hanging on your every sentence!

Why do you act as if you uni mates are family. You will only end up ditching each other when uni ends. Face it you are just being fake nice to each other.

Students talk ****! If its not some god awful opinion about something its about times when you got drunk or where you went out last night.

Yes I am a bitter person and yes people annoy me but students take the cake on this one!

** UPDATE **

HAHA I cant believe this has just happened.I am telling the God's honest truth here. A bunch of posh, white students drunk and leery came knocking on everyone's door singing (This is 3am btw). They came to mine and I'm the only one who told them to '**** off' and shut the door on them only to receive racist abuse calling me a terrorist and something about hating Muslims....I am Indian btw :rolleyes:

Seriously this is the behaviour of yobs I wouldn't expect this from posh students. Seriously posh students are the scum of the earth. They should just **** off back to their small towns,

So, just so I know (off to uni in September so this may come in handy)...

- I'm not allowed an opinion.
- I'm not allowed to drink coffee.
- I'm not allowed to be from a working class family.
- I'm not allowed to care about causes that matter to me.
- I'm only allowed to watch television you approve of.
- I'm only allowed to enjoy one genre of music.
- I'm not allowed to wear people clothes. Shall I turn up to lectures naked or dressed as a polar bear?
- I'm not allowed a kebab.
- I'm not allowed to drink anything weaker than straight vodka (I don't drink anyway but hey!)
- I'm not allowed to take pictures so I have memories of fun nights out, and I'm CERTAINLY not allowed to put them on facebook so they don't get lost in the depths of my computer.
- I'm not allowed to get along with the people I'm going to be living for for a year.
- I am not allowed to talk. At all.

Wow, I'm going to have a great three years :awesome:
I'm sorry you feel that way.
God i thought i was the only one. Its like this is sixth form. most with their head up there own ass thinking that there really special and that the world revolves around them. That there all destined to get like top notch jobs and they know better than everyone else. Seriously just get a grip.

then they make out there super bad party animals at social events when they just sit with a small group of their friends and talk like its a school lunch time lolol
Bleurghhhhhhh the amount of times I've heard pretty much the same drivel coming from another student disenchanted with life at university. The truth is, some people (most likely the people you've ripped apart in your post) embrace university and have a good time, the way they want to, and evidently in a way that irritates you. Just because it doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean it's wrong or ignorant. (most) students at university are just experiencing freedom from the 18 years or so of living with their parents, and making the most of it before they officially grow up and have to get a full time job.
As for your point about 'treating your friends like family' and that you won't stay in touch with them after uni, I find that insulting. My friends ARE my family, they are the best friends I've ever had and I'll be spending the next 4 years with them, and can definitely see them being my lifelong friends.
Your point about clothing is just shallow, yeah you get the chino-clad boys but you get them everywhere you go, not just in university. And for the most part they don't bother me, if you want to wear chinos then why the hell should I care?
I'm also insulted by your 'posh student' and 'poor' references. Yes many students complain they don't have much money, and for the most part this is TRUE. They've spent 'thousands on their degree' as you mentioned, but this doesn't make them rich, surely the opposite? You'd probably consider me one these 'posh' students, and I'm going home to my 'small town' next week.
I don't know you, but it sounds like to me you've had a bad experience with some students and just haven't settled in the way you expected to. At least you have admitted to being bitter, but don't expect sympathy from anybody.
I have a huge respect for the students which attend my university. They've all achieved good a-levels and are working hard to obtain a degree. For the most part they are polite, attend lectures regularly and work hard with assignments.
I hope you figure out that harsh generalisations will win you no friends.
Reply 77
Original post by Iron Lady
Excuse me?

Lovely way to generalise.

If someone were to say, all working class people are X there would be an outcry.

So don't dish insults out if you cannot accept them back.

People do all the time. Ever hear of the word "chav"?

Which of those things are not middle class attributes?
Reply 78
Original post by Iron Lady
Hush hush, pleb.

HAHAHA. You say that and then say that people shouldn't point out that the things the OP is talking about are middle class deficiencies? You're a card. And a descendent of one of the patrician families of rome, I presume?!?! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MancBoy
business women

Business Women?

Business...

Women...

Business + Women?

Business People with female genitalia?

I don't get it.

I am of course, kidding.

Quick Reply

Latest