The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Mephestic
I dont know what my raw marks are - my private centre didnt tell me that.

They merely sent me a copy/paste of the UMS and result element they got from their screen in email format.

How do I findout my raw marks? I imagine Il get that once I finish the last paper and cash it all in for the full A-level.

Well if you got full ums its pretty hard to find out your raw mark as you cant really convert it online. However my teacher got the 'cumulative' results and the people who got 100 got like 70/72. But you could get high 50's and get 100 in this paper.

Oh and you won't get your raw marks after you cash in.. just the ums. You can ask your private centre though.
how are people revising for this exam? model answers again?

Is it me or does this seem a bit lighter than psya3? it seems easier especially for the essay questions?

Research methods is going to cause me problems - need to get my head around a lot for that =/
Reply 182
how are people revising for this exam? model answers again?

Is it me or does this seem a bit lighter than psya3? it seems easier especially for the essay questions?

Research methods is going to cause me problems - need to get my head around a lot for that =/

Yes, my teacher and I both think it will be easier. You can only be asked one 24 mark question, the rest of the sections are all split up which is nice. :smile:

Research methods should be ok I think, just a bit of an elaboration on PSYA1 methods.
Reply 183
Original post by Heyimdec
Yes, my teacher and I both think it will be easier. You can only be asked one 24 mark question, the rest of the sections are all split up which is nice. :smile:

Research methods should be ok I think, just a bit of an elaboration on PSYA1 methods.

Really? It doesnt specifically say that on the spec though (???)
Original post by EffKayy
Really? It doesnt specifically say that on the spec though (???)

Yep :smile: Only the Psychopathology topic may have a 24 mark question :smile:

The other topic, eg Media, Anomalous etc will have shorter questions, at most a 12 marker I think :smile: Or maybe a 16 but I dunno - but definitely not 24! :smile:
just at home right now studying treatments for schizo...iv learnt 2 explanations for psychological explanations (behavioural explanation and cognitive) and trying to get 2 treatments learnt for schizo by the end of this weekend.

Just need to do biological (genetic & dopamine hypothesis and then just need clinical charecteristics and issues with reliability/validity and im done with schizo!

cant wait...until..this..is ...all..OVER!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 186
Does anyone have a list of potential questions they can ask on schizo and media?
Clinical charecteristics of schizo

Issues with reliability & validity in diagnosis in schizo

Biological explanations of Schizo
Psychological explanations of Schizo

Biological treatments for Schizo
Psychological treatments for Schizo

Thats all I think they can ask.
Reply 188
just at home right now studying treatments for schizo...iv learnt 2 explanations for psychological explanations (behavioural explanation and cognitive) and trying to get 2 treatments learnt for schizo by the end of this weekend.

Just need to do biological (genetic & dopamine hypothesis and then just need clinical charecteristics and issues with reliability/validity and im done with schizo!

cant wait...until..this..is ...all..OVER!!

What other topic are you doing apart from Schiz?
Feel like im behind in revision but I only need a C anyway.
Original post by EffKayy
What other topic are you doing apart from Schiz?
Feel like im behind in revision but I only need a C anyway.

im doing media and research methods as standard.

how much into revision are you eff? have you started properly or just taking it easy?

Im trying to learn model answers myself..im writing them up first for Schizo and then going to try learn them currently.
Reply 190
just out of interest..is psychology hard? is it easy to get an A in overall..like sociology??
Reply 191
im doing media and research methods as standard.

how much into revision are you eff? have you started properly or just taking it easy?

Im trying to learn model answers myself..im writing them up first for Schizo and then going to try learn them currently.

Ooh media... I'm doing addiction along side schiz and of course research methods. How far into it are you?

Well I only started 'properly' like getting all my notes together yesterday.
In school we've only just started Addiction.. and research methods we covered last summer after we finished PSYA3 so its just basic revision for that.

I reallly dunno if I should stretch and go for the A* - I just cant be bothered anymore haha. I need 91 for an A*......but I can't get it :frown:
For theory - like explanations - how many do you use? I think I messed up my evaluation because I wanted to get every explanation down for AO1 (E.G. group displays I literally talked about them all) so my evaluation was basic. I spoke to someone who got 100 and they said that they only used 2 and then detailed evaluation of each with general evaluation at the end.
Original post by EffKayy
Ooh media... I'm doing addiction along side schiz and of course research methods. How far into it are you?

In school we've only just started Addiction.. and research methods we covered last summer after we finished PSYA3 so its just basic revision for that.

I reallly dunno if I should stretch and go for the A* - I just cant be bothered anymore haha. I need 91 for an A*......but I can't get it :frown:
For theory - like explanations - how many do you use? I think I messed up my evaluation because I wanted to get every explanation down for AO1 (E.G. group displays I literally talked about them all) so my evaluation was basic. I spoke to someone who got 100 and they said that they only used 2 and then detailed evaluation of each with general evaluation at the end.

Yeah thats all I did; I only did group displays of aggression and only used the example of lynch mobs - I dont even think I had time for religious displays and I simply put loads of evaluation points for group displays.

For the theory itself I cited two concepts for group displays: The power-threat hypothesis and dehumanization and the role they played in group displays.

Then I had like 4 supporting studies and threw in evaluation points for each study, (issues, debates and approaches) and my own wildcard of evolutionary explanations being post-hoc and inconclusive; difficult to prove and difficult to falisify one way or another using the example of evolution needing to encourage inter-racial partnerships rather than fight against it through such displays because inter-racial breeding encourages wider diversity in genepools and this could be argued also from an evolutionary perspective; so to wrap up etc; its impossible to prove as either way can always be argued.

Then I threw in poppers claim that theories that cant be proven one way or another remain unscientific until proven with scientific methods.

To be fair I had a lot of additional evaluative points I had come up with myself thrown in; even for relationships and my own theories in there being more unknown intrapsychic processes as in some couples they broke up when it suited them and they suffered fewer consequences of the breakup which suggests other intra-psychic processes at work...

In Sleep and evolutionary explanations of sleep I threw in stuff about pylogenetic signals and some other crap too..

and bam A* 100ums.

:biggrin:
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EffKayy

i am doing the same
i'm resitting psya2 in june, can anyone who's finished schizophrenia tell me if there is a high level of "crossover" for want of a better word between the stuff you need to know in both, in short will schizophrenia stuff learnt be relevant for the abnormality part of psya2
Reply 195
Original post by Heyimdec
I'd go with what the rest of your class are learning, unless you feel absolutely confident that you could learn Schizophrenia alone. It's a tough one, you might not recieve as much support from your teacher if you do Schizophrenia. I'm sure you'll make the right decision though. :smile:

Im doing scizophrenia now and i'm not finding it too difficult at all really, maybe we just havent got to the hard bits yet though! :confused:
Reply 196
do you think psychology is harder than maths due to lots of memorising and stuff???? is it even hard?? someone reply back pleaseeee
Original post by Raj K
do you think psychology is harder than maths due to lots of memorising and stuff???? is it even hard?? someone reply back pleaseeee

i would say alot harder. with maths initially thats harder but if you work hard and learn formulas etc all those and do lots of practice you should be alright dont quote me though i stopped paying attention in year 11 maths and slept through every lesson i hated it, psychology is just an amazingly vast spread of information, its easy to get bogged down and the size of the a2 depresses alot of people. its one of those subjects where alot of people struggle to revise because theirs just so much its like "god where do i start from"

If you could however remember things quite easily and accurately you'd be on your way to a top grade.
is anyone else finding Research methods extremely easy ! likely because there is no experimenters and studies to remember thank god lol , i just wish the whole course had been like that,

and does anyone else absolutely hate anomalistic psychology section of unit 4 :/ studying coincidence, magical thinking, superstition :/ its almost entirely based on people that try to deceive others into thinking they have some supernatural powers and the magical thinking part of the spec is so new no textbooks have it, we have like 2 a4 sheets of paper on it *sigh*

the life of a psychology student :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by youngzwavey
i would say alot harder. with maths initially thats harder but if you work hard and learn formulas etc all those and do lots of practice you should be alright dont quote me though i stopped paying attention in year 11 maths and slept through every lesson i hated it, psychology is just an amazingly vast spread of information, its easy to get bogged down and the size of the a2 depresses alot of people. its one of those subjects where alot of people struggle to revise because theirs just so much its like "god where do i start from"

If you could however remember things quite easily and accurately you'd be on your way to a top grade.

lol thanksss that's made me feel better because im always thinking in my mind i should have chosen psychology instead of maths lol but now im happy lol thanks 4 ur reply and good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending