The Student Room Group

Do good GCSE and A-Level grades help at all when applying for minimum wage jobs?

I'm looking for a job atm just something to do evenings and weekends and I just wondered do they care about your academic qualifications?

Do good grades make you stand out from the crowd at all or do they just want people with previous experience?

I don't expect it would be of any advantage or any help but it would jut be helpful to have it confirmed. Thanks
I'm sure they'll help in some way.. it really depends on what your applying for.
Kind of... General minimum wage jobs don't even care if you have 0 qualifications, it all depends on what kind of person you are.
Something involving maths or science though (maybe a cashier or something), good GCSE's might put you ahead. But since I'm no employer, I can't say for sure.
THEY WANT EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE! - I've no look finding a job, I always get rejected for having no experience, even though my GCSE grades are quite good and I'm doing 'academic' A levels with a high predicted grades - this doesn't seem to an advantage in their recruitment process :mad:

All they care about is skills and experience.
No. I had 3 A grades at A level and they didn't help in the slightest unfortunately! I do feel like it was a waste of time working hard when they don't help with jobs haha. They want experience or for you to show that you're competent at expressign the company values etc.
Original post by oh_1993
I'm looking for a job atm just something to do evenings and weekends and I just wondered do they care about your academic qualifications?

Do good grades make you stand out from the crowd at all or do they just want people with previous experience?

I don't expect it would be of any advantage or any help but it would jut be helpful to have it confirmed. Thanks

No, they don't help much at all. For every employer who thinks 'I'd prefer to hire bright people' there will be an employer that thinks 'they'll give up as soon as the exam season arrives or they are off to uni'. Listing all your academic results in a way that highlights good grades, implies to an employer of an entry level/minimum wage job that you don't really understand the workplace and an employer's priorities, so it can easily be read as a negative.

The vast majority of employers are just looking for evidence of relevant practical skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending