The Student Room Group

Does anyone think that coursework deadline policies are too harsh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Architecture-er
Last year I had an essay to hand in, I did it well before the deadline. In fact, I did it so much earlier that I forgot to hand it in until 3 hours after the deadline had closed.

So I have been in the same situation, but I (and most people here) understand that most people hand-in late because they spent most of the time doing bugger all, then crammed it overnight, then the printers break the following morning and they miss the deadline.

Some people do simply work at their optimum last minute, this has always been the way for me. Even so, do you not find it slightly ridiculous that with a stringent no marks after the deadline rule, somebody who hands it in 2 hours late and somebody who hands it in a week late both get the same punishment? Graduated penalties make far more sense - after all, if somebody starts 48 hours before and puts a **** ton of effort in and misses it by an hour because of bad timing then 5 or 10% off is a good punishment to say, "this essay didn't get the mark it deserved because you cocked up slightly", rather than, "everything you did is now worth nothing".
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Some people do simply work at their optimum last minute, this has always been the way for me. Even so, do you not find it slightly ridiculous that with a stringent no marks after the deadline rule, somebody who hands it in 2 hours late and somebody who hands it in a week late both get the same punishment? Graduated penalties make far more sense - after all, if somebody starts 48 hours before and puts a **** ton of effort in and misses it by an hour because of bad timing then 5 or 10% off is a good punishment to say, "this essay didn't get the mark it deserved because you cocked up slightly", rather than, "everything you did is now worth nothing".

Well I don't see the difference I'm afraid :colondollar:

Think about it, the period of time you have to complete an essay is perhaps 1 or 2 weeks (ignoring the large gap of time they give you when they first tell you about the essay, if your degree is more focused on one-off essays rather than consistently grading you by them). 2 weeks is 14 * 24 hours, which is 336 hours. If you handed it in 2 hours late then you should've started it two hours earlier! The whole point of the penalty is to slap you awake, you shouldn't have a work ethic which is guaranteed to heap stress upon you as well as produce sub-standard work. University is just as much about time management as it is knowledge, and whether you're late because you didn't start in time, or you just didn't bother, or you're one of those meticulous people who edits and edits until it's too late, in the real world those deadlines are important so uni tries to make you respect them now :biggrin:

p.s. sorry if I sound a bit harsh, it's just there's so many people on my course who don't do the work until it's too late, and then are doing all-nighters for the last 3 days, hand it in 2 minutes before the deadline and then promptly go to sleep for the next two days. Whereas I'm pacing myself, eating well, sleeping well, and having no-one to talk to when I've done my essay because everyone else is locked in their room chugging red bull and writing furiously :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by laura130490
It's a bit harsh imo, my uni is the same though. They used to have a 10% reduction for every week over the limit, but then people would deliberately hand in work later knowing that even with the 10% less marks they'd still get higher than they would have done if they rushed it last minute. My question was why leave it last minute then? But that's some students for you.

10% per week!? Surely that must be 10% per day.

I think the strict deadlines rules are good, if anything they should be stricter. Part of the requirement of doing well at university is being able to manage your time, so that you complete your work on time. People losing marks for not being able to do this is the only way to separate those who can, from those who can't/don't.

Having relaxed deadline punishments just defeats the purpose of having deadlines in the first place.
Original post by Dan1909
10% per week!? Surely that must be 10% per day.

I think the strict deadlines rules are good, if anything they should be stricter. Part of the requirement of doing well at university is being able to manage your time, so that you complete your work on time. People losing marks for not being able to do this is the only way to separate those who can, from those who can't/don't.

Having relaxed deadline punishments just defeats the purpose of having deadlines in the first place.

No it was 10% per week, you could basically hand it in up to a month late if you wanted to, you would get 40% knocked off but it was possible. That's why they got rid of it and made it an absolute deadline because people abused it due to it being so relaxed.
Original post by Architecture-er
Well I don't see the difference I'm afraid :colondollar:

Think about it, the period of time you have to complete an essay is perhaps 1 or 2 weeks (ignoring the large gap of time they give you when they first tell you about the essay, if your degree is more focused on one-off essays rather than consistently grading you by them). 2 weeks is 14 * 24 hours, which is 336 hours. If you handed it in 2 hours late then you should've started it two hours earlier! The whole point of the penalty is to slap you awake, you shouldn't have a work ethic which is guaranteed to heap stress upon you as well as produce sub-standard work. University is just as much about time management as it is knowledge, and whether you're late because you didn't start in time, or you just didn't bother, or you're one of those meticulous people who edits and edits until it's too late, in the real world those deadlines are important so uni tries to make you respect them now :biggrin:

p.s. sorry if I sound a bit harsh, it's just there's so many people on my course who don't do the work until it's too late, and then are doing all-nighters for the last 3 days, hand it in 2 minutes before the deadline and then promptly go to sleep for the next two days. Whereas I'm pacing myself, eating well, sleeping well, and having no-one to talk to when I've done my essay because everyone else is locked in their room chugging red bull and writing furiously :biggrin:

I suppose so, I can't help feeling though that in first year it might be more reasonable to have graduated penalties rather than an all-or-nothing system - after all, that's the time when you're figuring out the working style that works best for you. Somebody might start a week in advance and realise they actually need longer because that's just what they have to do to get the best out of their work, and so they might be a little late. Despite being responsible in their starting time, they would still miss out on every single possible mark because they hadn't figured out their own working style yet. Then maybe in second year you could change the policy to all or nothing on the grounds that they've had one year to learn.

I don't know, it just seems unfair that somebody can work their ass off and then get absolutely no credit because they made a planning error. 10% for me would be enough to be a wake up call - after all, that's the difference between one degree class and another. I lost 10% for calculating the word limit boundary wrong and going over, dropped from a first to a low 2:1. Needless to say that won't be happening again!
Ours is similar to some people in this thread, if you hand it in late it's capped at 40%, if it's not in after two weeks it's a zero
There are many mitigating circumstances... bad timekeeping isn't one of them.
Reply 47
Original post by Multitalented me
Well today I finished my coursework just a few minutes late as the Uni said everything was submitted online/had printer problems but they said I will get no marks for it at all. I think that's very harsh & a better policy would be to take a mark away for every minute some goes over the deadline or something like that :cool: atm I just feel like all that effort was for nothing lol.

That's sounds overly harsh for university. Most places have a late policy where you get a penalty for handing it in up to a week late and then no marks at all if you hand it in any later.
Reply 48
Sorry to interrupt your 'argument' here but are you purposely being dense?

She's clearly stated that if you have a genuine reason for not doing the work on time, you tell someone, you sort out the problem. If you have no genuine reason, it's your own damn fault and (I assume) these are the people she has zero sympathy for.

Why are you finding that so hard to understand?
Reply 49
My uni has a policy where if you hand it in late you get 0.

I can see why it encourages people to make sure that the work is done and handed in on time, but sometimes the system we use to hand it in can become very slow or not responsive because of the volume of people trying to hand in work, last term I had a deadline a couple of days before term finished and was trying to hand in my work for 3 hours, and this was at about 5pm.
Reply 50
It does irritate me when they are militant about deadlines but then don't bother to mark the work for absolutely ages.

For example, I had an assignment to hand in on the 15th December. My friend was ill so had an extension and handed hers in on the 15th January. When she gave it to the secretary, she saw the huge pile of completely unmarked essays behind her.... they hadn't even started! Frankly, we could have had the whole holidays to do that but instead, they made us hand them in at the end of the semester and we didn't get them back until late February.
Sorry but if the deadline wasn't strictly enforced then what would be the point of it existing? You should've got the work in on time like everyone else!
Original post by el pollo diablo
I'm well aware of what 'extenuating circumstances' covers. Those other problems you refer to can be resolved by simply asking for help/advice and starting early.

At some universities, it also doesn't cover things like, "I set off to hand in my essay in plenty of time, but due to an unforeseeable 5 hour delay in the trains I didn't get there until after the deadline."

Thankfully, I've not yet had to test this at my university...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending