The Student Room Group

Manchester Economics vs Warwick

Hello everyone!
I am from India, interested in pursuing my masters in Economics from the UK. :smile:

1. I received an offer from the University of Manchester for MA Economics. Most of my friends who want to get into research have opted for M.Sc Economics in Warwick and I had heavy chances of getting through too, but I didn't apply thinking that Manchester is good for employability and exposure. It's already mid-march, Do I still apply to Warwick and see what happens, because I need to secure my place at Manchester too. I have time constraints. :frown:
Which is better of the lot?

2. Is an M.Sc Economics better than MA economics or vice versa?

Please help me as I need to finalise things as soon as possible.
Thanks a lot,
Sruti.
Reply 1
Manchester MA in Economics for what I know is a more applied programme leading to work on private sector only. The Msc of Manchester i sthe route id you want to go to PhD. In this case you would have to apply to Warwick, besides is ranked much higher than Manchester, and tougher to be accepted to.
What are your credentials?....when did you applied to Manchester??
Reply 2
Hi,

I applied to Manchester around November 1st week. It's been one and a half month I got an offer from Manchester.
You suggest I apply to warwick now? its almost March end.
But which one is better in terms of employability? I plan to work after my Masters.

Thanks Econla. :smile:
Reply 3
I think both are highly employable. In economics Warwick is better than Manchester by rankings, but Manchester is a very target school. Both can give you an advantage when looking for jobs. If you don't mind, apply to Warwick, you still have chances to be accepted even at this point. But it depends mostly in your background.
Now if you don't dream with Phd, I don't see much difference between Man and War, and you have to add that warwick has not a very nice place to live unlike manchester, I would keep with manchester
did you applied to Msc Economics in Manchester?
Reply 4
Hi,

I got an offer from Manchester a month ago. For MA Economics.
Whereas I didn't even apply to Warwick yet.
I don't really want to go further in Ph.D right now. Would rather prefer a good corporate job.
Do you think Manchester will be a good investment?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 5
Go for Manchester, definitely. Spent your time preparing for the course, forget about Warwick.
Congratulations by the way!!
I have a doubt....why didn't you applied to the Msc instead of MA in Manchester??
Reply 6
I applied for both, I got MA coz they said I don't have a strong econometrics background. I am planning to send my module details to them in order to get M.Sc instead.
Is M.Sc better than MA? Could you tell me the difference.

And thank you so much for the immense help! :smile:

Sruti.
Reply 7
The only difference is the quantitative level, Msc is more theoretical, especially for post phd purposes.
Reply 8
So I should go for the MA Economics in Machester, and not worry about either the M.Sc option or applying to Warwick, right? :smile:
Reply 9
I would relax by accepting Manchester....excellent university overall.
Reply 10
Thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 11
Warwick I would say is 'better', but Manchester isn't bad at all.
Reply 12
I am applying to Warwick the day after. Let destiny take me wherever it wants to. :smile:
Thanks. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Sruti
Hello everyone!
I am from India, interested in pursuing my masters in Economics from the UK. :smile:

1. I received an offer from the University of Manchester for MA Economics. Most of my friends who want to get into research have opted for M.Sc Economics in Warwick and I had heavy chances of getting through too, but I didn't apply thinking that Manchester is good for employability and exposure. It's already mid-march, Do I still apply to Warwick and see what happens, because I need to secure my place at Manchester too. I have time constraints. :frown:
Which is better of the lot?

2. Is an M.Sc Economics better than MA economics or vice versa?

Please help me as I need to finalise things as soon as possible.
Thanks a lot,
Sruti.

Hi!

I'm interested in getting into Manchester's MA Economics as well. May I know what are your grades and current university so I know what are my chances?

Congrats on the offer btw :smile:
Reply 14
Any news on your Warwick application?

If given the opportunity, definitely go for Warwick. It is far better for economics than Manchester.
Warwick is extremely competitive so the chance will be much smaller than Manchester.
I don't mean to derail this thread but thought someone in this thread would be able to answer my questions:

- I'm looking at an MSc in Business Analytics at WBS, what is deemed a "good degree" (is this 2.i or first?).

- Is the £26,500 price tag worth it for a WBS degree?, I am currently looking to self fund between £12,000 - £18,000 for my MScs but these are in London where I already live. (I am 100% certain that I want to work in risk analysis in upstream petroleum, if the £26,500 WBS degree would give me a significant edge over say UCL's £12,200 EPEE course in pursuing this career then I can get a Professional Career Development Loan to cover the excess cost of the WBS course).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending