The Student Room Group

What chemistry topic is this referring to???

so here's the question. we have the answers, but i have no idea about the logic behind it, or what the name of the topic it's referring to is:

Copper (II) sulfate and Calcium sulfate are both salts of sulfuric acid.

Copper (II) sulfate, blue solid, very soluble

Calcium sulfate, white solid, only slightly soluble

use the information above to predict what you would observe in each case, if sulfuric acid was added to separate solutions of copper chloride and calcium chloride:

answer: no visible reaction happens with copper chloride and sulfuric acid
white precipitate formed with calcium chloride

please can someone tell me how this works, and what sort of topics i should be revising to answer similar questions like this? :confused:
Original post by ElectronicPanda
so here's the question. we have the answers, but i have no idea about the logic behind it, or what the name of the topic it's referring to is:

use the information above to predict what you would observe in each case, if sulfuric acid was added to separate solutions of copper chloride and calcium chloride:

please can someone tell me how this works, and what sort of topics i should be revising to answer similar questions like this? :confused:

Periodic trends?
Original post by ElectronicPanda

Could be a mixture between transition metals and group 2 metals and acids. Lol :holmes: sorry :tongue: i've got no idea.

Quick Reply

Latest