The Student Room Group

Allegation of breach of Dissertation !!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by evantej
:confused:

If there were overlaps then the university would not have mentioned two separate sources of potential plagiarism...

As far as I understood the OP that bit was just the summary of the turnitin report. And turnitin does simply give similarity scores to individual sources.
Edit: To use a slightly dodgy analogy: if you registered on a dating website, did a couple of silly personality tests, and were subsequently informed that you had a 45% compatibility score with Person A and a 55% compatibility score with Person B, it wouldn't necessarily mean that you'd make a perfect threesome, would it?:wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by hobnob
As far as I understood the OP that bit was just the summary of the turnitin report. And turnitin does simply give similarity scores to individual sources.

Edit: To use a slightly dodgy analogy: if you registered on a dating website, did a couple of silly personality tests, and were subsequently informed that you had a 45% compatibility score with Person A and a 55% compatibility score with Person B, it wouldn't necessarily mean that you'd make a perfect threesome, would it?:wink:

The OP never once mentioned Turintin; other users assumed this is what the university used. The OP has suggested that they referenced correctly so it seems that they are unaware of what constitutes plagiarism (their non-standard English suggests they are a foreign student, so this seems likely), or it is a deliberate case of plagiarism. We both know the university would have thought long and hard before accusing the student of plagiarism as this could turn into a long, bitter experience for both.

Dodgy is a good description of the analogy, considering you could not go on a date with two people at once (i.e. both sources were in the same dissertation)! :tongue:
Original post by hobnob

Great analogy!!!

Quick Reply

Latest