The Student Room Group

I live at home and my brother routinely hits me, what do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misst911
If he's leaving marks he's hitting you too hard. As you're both adults, you could report him to the police if you wanted to; less drastic action, talk to your parents. Just remember there's the chance he could start on your younger sister, and I'm sure you don't want that.

Any hit is too hard whether it leaves a mark or not! But you're right.
Reply 41
OP, bloody well sort him out...
Reply 42
Original post by mhignell
Ok granted its a girl but still its ridiculous

Replace 'brother' with 'boyfriend' and you'd be baying for his blood.
Original post by mhignell
Lol Why are you calling me a bell-end?

You are obviously stupid too i don't care about spelling or punctuation because quite frankly it is a stupid way of judging someone's intelligence.Surely you should judge it on what people actually say.I was criticising the guys ability (or lack of ability) to understand what I am saying not his literacy skills btw

I called you a bell-end for insulting someone due to a disorder that they have.

"You seriously need to learn how to read"
I wasn't criticising your intelligence either. But I begin to wonder why.
If telling someone to learn how to read isn't a criticism of literacy, I have no idea what is. It is also hypocritical to criticise another's literacy when you type illiterately yourself. And also misinterpret what others have said.

"I don't care about spelling or punctuation because it's a bad judge of intelligence"
Therefore you shouldn't type correctly? Exams are a bad judge of someone's intelligence too, do you also not care about them?
The effort involved isn't exactly accompanied by a plethora of exhaustion, I mean how much energy does it take to press the space bar after a full stop? :s-smilie:

But I wouldn't want you wasting your time with someone as thick as me. I'll give you the easy way out and make this my last reply. If you're unable to admit that you shouldn't be immediately dissolving into ad hominem attacks because you either: didn't express yourself correctly, or misread what someone said, then I think it's clear what the problem is here.
You need to remind him one thing.
Who run the world?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Sm0e8754k

Assuming you're a girl.
Reply 45
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

If telling someone to learn how to read isn't a criticism of literacy, I have no idea what is. It is also hypocritical to criticise another's literacy when you type illiterately yourself. And also misinterpret what others have said.

"I don't care about spelling or punctuation because it's a bad judge of intelligence"
Therefore you shouldn't type correctly? Exams are a bad judge of someone's intelligence too, do you also not care about them?
The effort involved isn't exactly accompanied by a plethora of exhaustion, I mean how much energy does it take to press the space bar after a full stop? :s-smilie:

But I wouldn't want you wasting your time with someone as thick as me. I'll give you the easy way out and make this my last reply. If you're unable to admit that you shouldn't be immediately dissolving into ad hominem attacks because you either: didn't express yourself correctly, or misread what someone said, then I think it's clear what the problem is here.

I didn't misread anything.Go and look back at the reply the person made to me.Then you can apologize :smile:
Original post by ChunkyFudgeLover101
You need to remind him one thing.
Who run the world?

Men.

Edit: Oh take a joke. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Actually I will just show you what they wrote. As no doupt you will just read the first response.

They said "No, that's not it at all; I was rather making the point that you saying there was nothing more the school could have done made no sense "

Therefore I didn't misread anything lol
Reply 48
My brother is a year younger than me and a good foot taller. If he hits me, I give him a good punch in the face back. Not the best way to deal with things but he thinks twice before picking on me :colone:
Reply 49
try talking to hit once nicely about it and warn him, and if he still persists then kick his ass man. Don't do it to the extent that you get charged for grievous bodily harm and stuff but a couple of good swings will sort him out :smile:
guessing you don't associate with any friends of his? Would be a bit.. awkward.. for him if you went to one of them all welled up with tears asking if they could tell him to stop hitting you because he just hits you harder if you try and show them some bruises.
Original post by siwelmail
I was about to reply to your post, then I saw that perverse gif sig! It's brilliant!

Haha thanks. It is a hypnotising sig :colone:.
Reply 52
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
Any hit is too hard whether it leaves a mark or not! But you're right.

I mean as opposed to a light, joking slap. Siblings playfight whatever age, but obviously there's a line.
Reply 53
My younger brother used do this to me - control freak. He doesn't do it any more but finally now my parents gather that he's not their little good boy any more and he's starting to lose the plot. I felt so weak because i felt like he was my little brother and i could even take control and stop him, but physically it didn't hurt and i am stronger than him but it upset me he could do that to me.
Reply 54
smack the little ****er with a 2x4 and see how he likes it.
Hit your parents. Then ask them how they feel.

Why don't you try hitting him with a brick or an iron. That might help.

I honestly can't believe your parents aren't taking this seriously. My parents got mad at my brothers for fighting. And if they hit me they'd go nuts.

Police? Bit harsh but he sounds like he deserves it.

Do you have any guy friends who are bigger than him and prepared to beat him up?

It's usually the brothers who beat up people who hurt their sister. :frown:

I hope you're okay.
Reply 56
Original post by Anonymous
Title says it all really.

My brother is quite small, but I am smaller still. Whenever my parents are not there, he will hit me (and sometimes when they are there). It is not THAT hard, but it stops me working and sometimes leaves bruises. Sometimes he hits me with tennis raquets/other hard objects.

This came up during my GCSE year and my school dealt with it very badly. I have since moved school for sixth form.

My parents honestly don't see anything wrong with it. They aren't about to change anything, so if this is going to change, it's up to me.

I am no longer legally a child, I just turned 18, but I really can't take it anymore. I am in my final year of school, I need to get into uni and meet my grades.

I have a little sister who is still legally a child, but he doesn't hit her.

What should I do?

Clearly he's abusing you, if he really does hurt you, you might as well show your parents how serious you are about this by putting in a complaint with the police for assault.
Original post by Anonymous
You guys are completely useless and insensetive ********s. I would love to see how many of you could stand being in my position.

He is my older brother. He is three years older, he has a small build, but (being a girl) I have a smaller build. Hitting him back gets me a far worse beating, I have learned from past experience.

OP, with further regards, no matter how big your opponent, a ball shot is more than enough to teach him a lesson... permanently.

Unless your leg doesn't reach high enough to give a good one, use your fist instead.
Reply 58
Original post by Iqbal007
Clearly he's abusing you, if he really does hurt you, you might as well show your parents how serious you are about this by putting in a complaint with the police for assault.

^ This. If he is 21 then this has gone well beyond normal sibling fighting that you grow out of, this is domestic abuse and he is being a complete bully and you don't deserve to have to put up with it regardless of whether you are legally a child now or not. If you want then give him (and inform your parents you have done so , that way it would be highly unfair of them to react badly if you do have to report him) warning that if he touches you again (or ever touches your younger sister) then you will be reporting him to the police for GBH, if he does, go to the police as soon after as possible or call them on 999 then and there if you are able (lock yrself in the bathroom if you need to). If you have current bruises from him, take photos of them now and record a statement of when they were cause and how etc. That way if you do report a future incident to the police hopefully they will take it very seriously.

Reporting him to the police is not actually you being a bad sister, maybe it will lead him to get the anger management help he clearly needs or make him think twice before hitting a partner in the future which currently doesn't seem beyond him. I hope things get sorted for you and people take your situation seriously as it should be.
Original post by halfadoc
^ This. If he is 21 then this has gone well beyond normal sibling fighting that you grow out of, this is domestic abuse and he is being a complete bully and you don't deserve to have to put up with it regardless of whether you are legally a child now or not. If you want then give him (and inform your parents you have done so , that way it would be highly unfair of them to react badly if you do have to report him) warning that if he touches you again (or ever touches your younger sister) then you will be reporting him to the police for GBH, if he does, go to the police as soon after as possible or call them on 999 then and there if you are able (lock yrself in the bathroom if you need to). If you have current bruises from him, take photos of them now and record a statement of when they were cause and how etc. That way if you do report a future incident to the police hopefully they will take it very seriously.

Reporting him to the police is not actually you being a bad sister, maybe it will lead him to get the anger management help he clearly needs or make him think twice before hitting a partner in the future which currently doesn't seem beyond him. I hope things get sorted for you and people take your situation seriously as it should be.

This :yep:

OP if you wanna talk PM me. Or at least update us on how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending