The Student Room Group

Footballer collapses during game!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116438/Fabrice-Muamba-fights-life-given-CPR-36-000-fans-following-suspected-heart-attack-FA-cup-quarter-final.html

I hope this man is OK. One of my friends on Facebook has said the hospital has confirmed he is stable.

He'll be in my prayers tonight, that's for sure.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

I posted it here because it's not exclusively a sports story. Many non-sports fans are concerned for his safety.
Reply 3
With all due respect, I don't see why this is worthy of being the headline news story on BBC news etc. It's not like he's particularly well known, in the same way if someone collapsed at a local football match they wouldn't make the national news.

Or are premier league footballers more worthy than normal people?
Original post by dd4483
With all due respect, I don't see why this is worthy of being the headline news story on BBC news etc. It's not like he's particularly well known, in the same way if someone collapsed at a local football match they wouldn't make the national news.

Do you seriously not understand, or are you just attempting to be edgy. I worry for your intelligence if you honestly cannot comprehend why an internationally televised incident is 'bigger' news than an event watched by a couple hundred people.

Don't get me wrong, if this happened at a local football match it wouldn't be any less tragic, but I think its pretty obvious why one is more widely publicized than the other.
Reply 5
The level of coverage is to be expected, however, the amount of trite comments from everyone just makes me cringe. Does that make me insensitive?
Reply 6
Original post by dd4483

I agree, on Radio 5 Live they were going to have a programme to auction stuff for Sports Relief earlier today, but they cancelled it to chat about Muamba. Yes, I hoe he's OK and it would be sad to see him die, but come on.
Reply 7
Taking it a bit far for a free kick.
Reply 8
Slow news day/weekend, I think...
not trying to be nasty but why is his heart attack case so special? I reckon other people also got Heart Attacks yesterday and other probably died in some horrible accident somewhere in the world.
Hope he gets better and all, but this is being hyped up too much.
Original post by Study

Hope he gets better and all, but this is being hyped up too much.

I'm sure his family will be glad to hear that.:rolleyes:

Can't believe how insensitive some people are.
Original post by OU Student
I'm sure his family will be glad to hear that.:rolleyes:

Can't believe how insensitive some people are.

Not insensitive, and it is hyped up too much, its all over the headlines on all the news channels that I've seen.
I said I hope he gets better but I don't see how his heart attack is more special then if some normal guy on the street got a heart attack.
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
Do you seriously not understand, or are you just attempting to be edgy. I worry for your intelligence if you honestly cannot comprehend why an internationally televised incident is 'bigger' news than an event watched by a couple hundred people.

Don't get me wrong, if this happened at a local football match it wouldn't be any less tragic, but I think its pretty obvious why one is more widely publicized than the other.

Exactly this. Everything is media driven. This is always going to get press like it or not. Don't understand why some people lack the intelligence to understand why events on the news happen like they do!
Original post by Study
Not insensitive, and it is hyped up too much, its all over the headlines on all the news channels that I've seen.
I said I hope he gets better but I don't see how his heart attack is more special then if some normal guy on the street got a heart attack.

Because it was on live television, people saw it happen and are shocked by it, its not something you expect to see watching a football match. So people are rightly concerned by events they witnessed.
The reasons it's being covered quite a bit is probably because of the circumstances:

-Happened on live TV
-Happened during a sport which is extremely popular in the country
-Not heard of very much
-Genuinely unexpected

It's not something you expect, so as a result it's being covered a lot to sell more papers. Despite not being a football fan, I really hope he's alright. He's young, has a fiancée and has a child, which makes this even more tragic.
Original post by Study

Right, everyone in White Hart Lane knew who Patrice Muamba was yesterday when he collapsed. Had a regular Joe Blow collapased at the same time probably only a few people in the stadium would have known who he was. Nobody is saying that one deserves more media coverage than the other however, if you was a news reporter which incident would you report if you could only write about one?

I think it goes without saying that it would be Muamba.
Original post by pinda.college
Right, everyone in White Hart Lane knew who Patrice Muamba was yesterday when he collapsed. Had a regular Joe Blow collapased at the same time probably only a few people in the stadium would have known who he was. Nobody is saying that one deserves more media coverage than the other however, if you was a news reporter which incident would you report if you could only write about one?

I think it goes without saying that it would be Muamba.

*Fabrice

:redface:
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
*Fabrice

:redface:

Woops, I had been reading about Patrick on the Eastenders thread and wrote Patrice instead of Fabrice:colondollar:
Wow people be a bit more sensitive!
I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending