The Student Room Group

Manchester or Imperial Medical School - please give me your opinion.

Hey there,

I'll warn you now that this'll be a bit of a long post, but if you have the time/patience to read it and reply, then thank you.

So here's my situation: After receiving Medicine offers from both Imperial and Manchester, I am really struggling with which one to go to.

I've visited both cities and think I'd be happy in either one; both are fairly large and, coming from the countryside, will be a big change for me, but that's what I want.

In terms of course structure, Manchester is much more PBL based, and while I'm not adverse to this kind of teaching, I wonder whether such a timetable would be best for me - i.e. more free time. In turn, Imperial's course is more traditional, though still integrated, and I think I'd have a heavier timetable which would work me harder, which might be better for me in the long run.
Now, I really like my languages, and language prospects are actually a very big concern when choosing. Both offer pretty great language opportunities:

At Manchester I can study my language of choice (German) alongside medicine for the first 4 years, learning medical terminology along the way, and then undertake a 15 week placement in one of three partner Universities in Germany, learning Medicine in German, which is just amazing.
On the other hand, I could still learn German at Imperial, and I'd be learning a lot about science and technology (in German), and relating it to my subject a fair bit - so both offer fairly similar opportunities in terms of combining Medicine and German, though Imperial lacks the partner university scheme.

There is, of course, a certain appeal to Imperial because I'd be learning from researchers at the forefront of their field of world class quality. I'd probably get more opportunities in general in London, and there is just so much there.
On the other hand, Manchester is still a very well-respected University, and perhaps any extra prestige really should have no say in this at all.

I also feel the students at Imperial would be the kind of people I'd more likely fit in with; science-loving geeks, for the most part. I don't really fit in with the usual student culture; I don't really enjoy going out, drinking my face off and then being sick, for example, though I do drink occasionally. Having visited Manchester a few times, I think the students are slightly more party-oriented there. Not that you wouldn't find that at Imperial, just less so in my view.
However, cost may be an issue. Though I've heard you get a bigger maintenance grant if living in London, I'm not sure just how strapped for cash I'd be. I'm average in terms of household income, so wouldn't receive that much help.

So, to sum up, some pros and cons of each. Please let me know whether you agree/disagree:

Imperial pros:

World class education
Can learn German alongside Medicine
Integrated course
Full-body cadaveric dissection
Student body more appealing (to me)
Amazing student union
Integrated BSc with great opportunities
Free gym membership!
Really nice accommodation

Imperial cons:

Expensive!
Long commutes in clinical years
Harder workload (maybe)
No catered accommodation! (Having experience both catered and non catered I just prefer catered :P)

Manchester pros:

Very nice city (Have only been down to Imperial for the interview whereas visited Manchester several times)
Full-body cadaveric dissection
PBL - more flexible timetable with a focus on independent learning
Great language opportunities
Optional BSc

Manchester cons:

I feel I might not fit in as well
May not get quite as many opportunities as I would living in London
Doesn't have it's own medical students union (or if they do, certainly doesn't seem to be as good as Imperial's)

If you made it through, thanks!

Please let me know what you think. I'm not interested in starting any arguments; I just want to hear people's views.

Thanks a lot :smile:
http://www.umu.man.ac.uk/

I think you answered your own question you seem to be leaning towards imperial. If you think it suits you go I'd say the biggest downside is how far away you have to live from the uni. For me Manchester is my first choice because I love the city which will be most people's draw to Manchester and if the party atmosphere is not for you then you can avoid it.
Reply 2
Hey man, quite a few factors to consider here:

1) How much does the matter of prestige mean to you? If not much, then this isn't an issue.
2) Price - How tough would it be to pay for accomodation/commuting in a conurbation like London?
3) Time - If you are not the type of guy who would want to do a BSc, you can progress a year early with your medical career if you go to Manchester.

Ultimately it is your decision; visit both places (post offer open days), talk to current students there. I would choose the place where I would most enjoy to spend my time and pursue your dreams :biggrin:
Reply 3
I don't think anyone can really help you, as you seem to have considered everything myself. So I'll just give you my opinion: choose Imperial.

Good luck :smile:
The worldwide prestige of Imperial makes it far better imo.
Reply 5
Original post by TheDannyManCan

I feel I might not fit in as well

It is true that Manchester medical students have a bit of a drinking culture, but from my experience no more so than at Imperial.

May not get quite as many opportunities as I would living in London

Opportunities to do what?

Doesn't have it's own medical students union (or if they do, certainly doesn't seem to be as good as Imperial's)

Manchester does have it's own, extremely active, medical students union - you just haven't had any exposure to it.
Reply 6
Hey there,

Thanks a lot :smile:

What exactly is appealing about the imperial 'student body'?
Original post by theatrical
It is true that Manchester medical students have a bit of a drinking culture, but from my experience no more so than at Imperial.

Opportunities to do what?

Manchester does have it's own, extremely active, medical students union - you just haven't had any exposure to it.

I must not have, but thanks for enlightening me :smile: Imperials just seems segregated entirely from the rest of Imperial College. It seems like all the good stuff about Imperial without the stigma i.e. high boy:girl ratio etc.

By opportunities I suppose I'm referring to chances that will come up along the way. Being that the lecturers are of such high quality and known worldwide, perhaps they'd have links to placements that I wouldn't get elsewhere. I don't know, maybe I'm imagining things.

I am gonna come to the post offer open day for Manc before making a final decision, though :smile: Thanks for the input.
Original post by Wangers
What exactly is appealing about the imperial 'student body'?

The Medical Students Union in particular just seemed really warm and welcoming on the day, and I really like the fact that they're so separate from the rest of Imperial college. I don't know, I just got the impression that the people were more like me.
Original post by Nator
Hey man, quite a few factors to consider here:

1) How much does the matter of prestige mean to you? If not much, then this isn't an issue.
2) Price - How tough would it be to pay for accomodation/commuting in a conurbation like London?
3) Time - If you are not the type of guy who would want to do a BSc, you can progress a year early with your medical career if you go to Manchester.

Ultimately it is your decision; visit both places (post offer open days), talk to current students there. I would choose the place where I would most enjoy to spend my time and pursue your dreams :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply :smile: The frustrating thing is that Imperial don't seem to do a post offer open day, as you may well know. As far as price goes, I'm...optimistic? I don't know, I figure if thousands of other people can manage it - and not all of them can be rich :P - then there must be a way I can manage it, too. Need to find out more about financing in London...
The reputation does play a role, but I don't know if that's quite the same thing as prestige. Maybe it shouldn't play a role, but it kind of does for me. (Are you waiting to hear back from interview btw?)

Thanks again, and all the best :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks for the reply :smile: The frustrating thing is that Imperial don't seem to do a post offer open day, as you may well know. As far as price goes, I'm...optimistic? I don't know, I figure if thousands of other people can manage it - and not all of them can be rich :P - then there must be a way I can manage it, too. Need to find out more about financing in London...
The reputation does play a role, but I don't know if that's quite the same thing as prestige. Maybe it shouldn't play a role, but it kind of does for me. (Are you waiting to hear back from interview btw?)

Thanks again, and all the best :smile:

No problem mate :smile: Ahh I see, they do tours though I believe? Haha this is true, they must do it some way. Yeah look into London prices and what not, ideally do the same for Manchester :smile: Nah rightly so :wink: And I haven't been rejected nor been invited for an interview yet lolol, funny eh?

No worries man, feel free to PM me if you wanna discuss this in further depth :smile: Thanks, do let me know which you decide on :biggrin:
x

There's been a lot of good points already.

The only thing I'd say is really think about the teaching style, that's probably the most important thing. Regardless of the relative standing between lecturers at imperial and Manchester they'll still both be experts relative to you, which is the important part, really.

If you feel PBL would be marginally worse for you maybe that's what should tip the scales.
Just want to say that most of Imperial's medics are not the typical 'science loving geeks' that you find more widely in the other depts at IC. In fact drinking until you vomit is the height of medic social interaction. Of course you can hang out with non-medics but then they all go and graduate.
Just so that you don't get a shock if you pick IC for September... Also I'm sure Manchester will have a better union than us, we have one grotty bar, but (in ICSMSU's defence) a good number of medics sports teams/clubs and socs (for now, but BUCS threatens the sporting teams)

Also from what I know of learning languages at Imperial you have to pay for courses (not cheap at all). The only medical exchange programme offered is a handful of places to Tokyo although the rest of IC has plenty of other exchange unis, most notably Aachen for Germany.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bubble Toes
Just want to say that most of Imperial's medics are not the typical 'science loving geeks' that you find more widely in the other depts at IC. In fact drinking until you vomit is the height of medic social interaction. Of course you can hang out with non-medics but then they all go and graduate.
Just so that you don't get a shock if you pick IC for September... Also I'm sure Manchester will have a better union than us, we have one grotty bar, but (in ICSMSU's defence) a good number of medics sports teams/clubs and socs (for now, but BUCS threatens the sporting teams)

Also from what I know of learning languages at Imperial you have to pay for courses (not cheap at all). The only medical exchange programme offered is a handful of places to Tokyo although the rest of IC has plenty of other exchange unis, most notably Aachen for Germany.

Thanks for the info :smile:

I think you only have to pay if it's not for credit; I've emailed the guys who run it, and they say medics can take a language in year 1 and 2 for free, which is nice. Otherwise I think it's 250 quid per year.
What is BUCS?
Also, in regards to exchanges, I was told by the guy who runs the BSc courses that the two most recent abroad students went to McGill and John Hopkins, which sounded cool, and they told me I could organise one myself if I wanted :smile:

And can I ask how you find medicine at Imperial? :smile:

Cheers for the reply.

Quick Reply