The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5100
Original post by Mufasaa
Saints won with a bonus point. :biggrin:

That made my day. I was out and caught the score at 23 all with a couple of minutes to go. With how close it is from 3-7th in the table, the 3 points for that last try are so valuable.
Reply 5101
Original post by Drogue
That made my day. I was out and caught the score at 23 all with a couple of minutes to go. With how close it is from 3-7th in the table, the 3 points for that last try are so valuable.

Yep, only 4 points behind Saracens too :smile:
Reply 5102
Im a winger so no points for guessing where I stand on this but who's looking forward to the sevens season?
Original post by lol_wut
level 1 rugby league ref perhaps? why else are you talking about "downward pressure"?

and, as has been pointed several times already, it really was not "inconclusive". We have clear evidence from angle behind the posts that strettle touches the ball to ground, and we have evidence from the other angles that his hand and the ball were well over the line at that point. Which point o you disagree with?

if strettle had been given his try then you need to give greig laidlaw his try from the england game.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=laidlaw+try+v+england&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=670&tbm=isch&tbnid=V4zy4-xClqjehM:&imgrefurl=http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2012/rugby/story/159070.html&docid=cIcq2WpxJM0V4M&imgurl=http://www.espnscrum.com/PICTURES/CMS/23300/23385.2.jpg&w=310&h=242&ei=qUlLT6yMLoat8QPpy-HKCg&zoom=1

that is much more obvious than the strettle try. Also scotland have now score more tries than england and tbh have created more chances than them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5104
Original post by pinkpenguin
Oh ffs stop bleating about it. Seriously. If Flood knew how to throw a miss pass and not chew up valuable space we wouldn't even be having this conversation as Strettle could have moonwalked over the line.

brown made the error, flood's pass was ok.
Original post by lol_wut
brown made the error, flood's pass was ok.

If Floods pass didn't hang in the air for a few seconds the welsh defence wouldnt have got across to stop the try
Reply 5106
Original post by Mufasaa
Yep, only 4 points behind Saracens too :smile:

True, and we've got Saracen's next week. We're away so it'll be a very difficult win, and if we don't I think we can rule out finishing in the top 2 (neither Saracens nor Harlequins will drop 10+ points in their last 5 games), but if we get an upset then a home semi is definitely plausible.
Reply 5107
Original post by jhuntley93
if strettle had been given his try then you need to give greig laidlaw his try from the england game.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=laidlaw+try+v+england&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=670&tbm=isch&tbnid=V4zy4-xClqjehM:&imgrefurl=http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2012/rugby/story/159070.html&docid=cIcq2WpxJM0V4M&imgurl=http://www.espnscrum.com/PICTURES/CMS/23300/23385.2.jpg&w=310&h=242&ei=qUlLT6yMLoat8QPpy-HKCg&zoom=1

that is much more obvious than the strettle try. Also scotland have now score more tries than england and tbh have created more chances than them.

They were both clear tries as far as I was concerned. I really do think the benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking team in these marginal cases, I think 9 times out of 10 it would be the correct decision. The TMO shouldn't have to be 100% sure - he should just be 51% sure to award the try.
Reply 5108
Original post by Drogue
True, and we've got Saracen's next week. We're away so it'll be a very difficult win, and if we don't I think we can rule out finishing in the top 2 (neither Saracens nor Harlequins will drop 10+ points in their last 5 games), but if we get an upset then a home semi is definitely plausible.

Well, if we beat Sarries we'll go second (we've got a huge points difference advantage). It's a big if though.
Reply 5109
Original post by Mufasaa
Well, if we beat Sarries we'll go second (we've got a huge points difference advantage). It's a big if though.

Nah, if we beat Sarries it'll almost certainly be by less than 7, so they'll get a bonus point and stay ahead by one. But it'll be a decent fight to the end.

I think if Sarries win that match and beat Quins (likely since they're at home again), they have a good chance of topping the table. But the most likely change in the top 4 I can see is Leicester dropping out entirely. They're away to Quins and Saints, which I'd put them ad underdogs for, plus an away trip to Irish. If they fail to take 4 points against Gloucester next week, I can see Gloucester end up in 4th. Of course they could do the typical Leicester thing, pull off some incredible away wins against top teams and end up 2nd or 3rd, but with Flood and Youngs not on form the end of the 6N may not be the boom time for them it usually is.

I can see the Sarries/Saints and Leicester/Gloucester deciding the likely 2/3rd and 4/5th placings. Obviously a lot can happen after that, but these games could cement or switch who's favourites in each.
Reply 5110
Original post by Drogue
Nah, if we beat Sarries it'll almost certainly be by less than 7, so they'll get a bonus point and stay ahead by one. But it'll be a decent fight to the end.

I think if Sarries win that match and beat Quins (likely since they're at home again), they have a good chance of topping the table. But the most likely change in the top 4 I can see is Leicester dropping out entirely. They're away to Quins and Saints, which I'd put them ad underdogs for, plus an away trip to Irish. If they fail to take 4 points against Gloucester next week, I can see Gloucester end up in 4th. Of course they could do the typical Leicester thing, pull off some incredible away wins against top teams and end up 2nd or 3rd, but with Flood and Youngs not on form the end of the 6N may not be the boom time for them it usually is.

I can see the Sarries/Saints and Leicester/Gloucester deciding the likely 2/3rd and 4/5th placings. Obviously a lot can happen after that, but these games could cement or switch who's favourites in each.

I know it's away this time, but we did beat the 30-8 earlier in the season. That gives me hope that we can beat them by enough.

I think the top 4 will stay with the current teams, but the rankings will probably change a little. Leicester are Leicester and will somehow get into the playoffs. Saracens have those 2 games, which despite being at home will be very tough and they could drop them.
****ing concussions. That is all :frown:
Reply 5112
****ing concussions. That is all :frown:

And dodgy knees :frown:
Original post by rugby7
And dodgy knees :frown:

I second that :frown:
Reply 5114
I propped against someone who played for Nottingham in the late 80s (when they were one of the best teams around) yesterday, my god am I hurting today.
Put this in the 6N thread too, but worth repeating for those not over there:

Mervyn Davies has passed away aged 65. Possibly the greatest ever number 8, he went 2 Lions tours: 1971 & 1974 but was never able to go in 77 (as captain) after collapsing in a cup semi final verses Pontypool 22 days after leading Wales to a grand Slam in 1976. I urge you to take the time to watch this BBC Wales documentary on his life. There are also some wonderful documentaries on Bleddyn Williams and the '71 Lions that are also well worth your time...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16444916
I play openside, may I join?
Original post by IQ Test
I play openside, may I join?

I play fly half. So no. :tongue:

Welcome.

Did anyone see Calum Clark dislocate Hawkin's elbow well after the whistle in the LV Cup final yesterday? Absolute prize scumbag. Hope he gets a massive ban. Has previous too (headbutting and punching in an U20s game).

Welcome.

Did anyone see Calum Clark dislocate Hawkin's elbow well after the whistle in the LV Cup final yesterday? Absolute prize scumbag. Hope he gets a massive ban. Has previous too (headbutting and punching in an U20s game).

Calum Clarke has so much previous, it's ridiculous. Should just be banned full stop. Price A dickhead.
Reply 5119

Get out :hmmm:

Quick Reply

Latest