The Student Room Group

TfL (Transport For London) graduate scheme - 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

That's brilliant, thanks very much for the information!

Congratulations again. That was the March 14th assessment? You heard very quickly, if so!

I was just wondering about experience from a competition level, didn't realise you weren't going for QS :smile: I've two years experience so I'm hoping that sets me apart from other candidates who might have none, or just their placement year.
Reply 201
No it was the February 28th Assessment Centre - I heard on Friday 2nd March!
Original post by ehc2406
No it was the February 28th Assessment Centre - I heard on Friday 2nd March!

Ah! That's very quick indeed.

I'm excited. Working through their annual report now, hopefully I'll get a chance to drop a few bits of information in! :smile:

How did you find the Fast Track?
Reply 203
Original post by bornfishy

How did you find the Fast Track?

Not going to lie I found it pretty difficult - it's harder than the practice test they send you! Pretty much all of us on my day said it was hard, but they said I did well on all the elements of the day, so obviously I didn't mess that bit up as much as I thought I had!
Original post by ehc2406
Not going to lie I found it pretty difficult - it's harder than the practice test they send you! Pretty much all of us on my day said it was hard, but they said I did well on all the elements of the day, so obviously I didn't mess that bit up as much as I thought I had!

Cool, thanks! Seems everybody finds it difficult - will have to muddle through it!

:smile:
@bornfishy

i done the assessment centre on the 14th March and all i'll tell you is it's hard, but in a good way. I found it to be good enough craic but it was obvious to see who had prepared stuff to try to impress and it didn't seem to impress anyone. difficult to prepare anything except the presentation. No point looking through their annual reports or any of that like coz you have no chance to talk about it. they don't care what you know about them really. it's more about yourself was impression i got.
as for the fast track...well it's hard, very ****ing hard! nobody completed it and I was saying to the assessors and they said they didnt expect you to really. I only got 3 questions done on it.
group meeting/report at start of day, break, fast track, presentation, lunch with presentation by them, then your interview. I was out and away shortly after 3.
Really wouldn't worry about it though. just be yourself.
Original post by davemcg1987
@bornfishy

i done the assessment centre on the 14th March and all i'll tell you is it's hard, but in a good way. I found it to be good enough craic but it was obvious to see who had prepared stuff to try to impress and it didn't seem to impress anyone. difficult to prepare anything except the presentation. No point looking through their annual reports or any of that like coz you have no chance to talk about it. they don't care what you know about them really. it's more about yourself was impression i got.
as for the fast track...well it's hard, very ****ing hard! nobody completed it and I was saying to the assessors and they said they didnt expect you to really. I only got 3 questions done on it.
group meeting/report at start of day, break, fast track, presentation, lunch with presentation by them, then your interview. I was out and away shortly after 3.
Really wouldn't worry about it though. just be yourself.

Hi Dave,

Really kind of you to give me that information - very much appreciate that!

I have done quite a bit of background reading on them already, but if they're not going to ask about it I'll knock that on the head now, so thanks! Did you pass / get an offer? I'm slightly worried about the Fast Track, I thought even the practice one was a little tough. Well, it was tough working out what needed to be done. Once the method was worked out it was easy enough. Think it took me 7 mins 30 secs.

Think I'm well prepared for the presentation. Time was the hardest thing, I had to cut it down a bit to get within 10 minutes. Was your interview heavily competency based? Have you any experience in QS?

Thanks again mate.
Reply 207
I would disagree with not needing to know about a company - it always helps to know as much information as possible, even if you never use it. Don't throw in information for the sake of it but there's never going to be a situation where they're not pleased that you have spent time researching them. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that!

Plus I did use information I'd used from my research in both the interview and the presentation - and they did seem impressed. Obviously it's important for them to get a good impression of you too, but in my opinion being prepared gives a good impression anyway!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ehc2406
I would disagree with not needing to know about a company - it always helps to know as much information as possible, even if you never use it. Don't throw in information for the sake of it but there's never going to be a situation where they're not pleased that you have spent time researching them. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that!

Plus I did use information I'd used from my research in both the interview and the presentation - and they did seem impressed. Obviously it's important for them to get a good impression of you too, but in my opinion being prepared gives a good impression anyway!

Thanks! I've researched Crossrail and some of the station and line upgrades. Pus their involvement with NEC which is a contract suite I've a lot of familiarity with.

So hopefully I can use some of it :smile:
Reply 209
Hi

new to this, just wondering if anyone has any tips for assessment centre for surface transport which ill be attending on the 18th of april??

What can I expect? What information does tfl send out in the email?

Original post by checkers
Hi

new to this, just wondering if anyone has any tips for assessment centre for surface transport which ill be attending on the 18th of april??

What can I expect? What information does tfl send out in the email?

Hi. I got an offer for underground so I suppose am qualified to comment! The group exercise is first, and it's fine. Just read the brief, which some people didn't seem to bother doing. Speak lots, listen lots, and use candidates names. Particularly in the written exercise after.

The fast track is a total nightmare, but supposedly isn't given much of a weighting in the selection process. Do your presentation without any notes, they appreciate that. If possible, run through your presentation beforehand with a lecturer knowledgeable in that subject area. Have them anticipate questions you'll be asked. They go into some detail in the questions after.

The competency interview is detailed but uses standard examples. You can get the questions from the Internet. They ask for six examples or so, and it takes around 30 minutes.

You get to talk to graduates who are working for the company. That part isn't assessed, supposedly, but I was still surprised that other people weren't really asking many questions. So make sure you look keen and ask questions. Oh, and it sounds simple, bu when you're told to stop writing, do stop!

PM me for anything else!
Reply 211
Hi, I'm new to the website and the forum.
I would just like to know if there's a current thread on the 2013 intake. If there is, can anyone give me the link? If not I would like to know what the fast track test is... all I read was that fast track is what happens whne you've already taken part in the year in industry placement and you go straight through to the A/C...so what is THE fast track test which from what i rea dhere everyone says is impossible???

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest