The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T'archer
It is. The work load is so much heavier, but I found it becomes easier to motivate yourself in the second year.

more colouring in rainbow class??
Yes.
Reply 22
Original post by kiss_me_now9
My degree is known for being piss easy year 1, a complete bitch year 2 and a decent balance between hard and interesting in year 3.

What degree do you do?
I actually found second and third year easier than year 1, but that might just be because I got used to the teaching style of the lecturers and I buckled down a little.
Reply 24
It's the difficulty with talking about 'hardness' the work isn't less difficult but paradoxically it's quite common for grades to improve just cos people are getting into their stride.
If you're struggling tho', talk to your tutor.
I don't understand why people who are saying it gets harder are being negged... it answers the question and how hard something is is completely down to the individual. Degree programmes are designed to get harder, otherwise what's the point in the course being 3 years long and progressing a level each year (level 4 - year 1, level 5 - year 2 etc.) If you don't like the prospect of something getting harder and having to work more for it as you go along perhaps a degree isn't for you :dontknow:
I know this is more specific to my course, but what I found most difficult in the transition from first to second year was the way the course was laid out.

In first year, we had 2 essays and exam per module, so the workload was nicely spread out and easy to grasp. This year, however, we've either got one exam or one essay that counts for 100% of the module, so until the lecturer sets the essay titles or gives out the exam rubric, there's very little work I can get on with. This consequently means that when the work is set I practically move into the library because all the essay deadlines and exams are in the same week. Very stressful :s-smilie:
Not necessarily, for me at least Year 13 was much harder than anything i've had to do in first year.
It won't be unmanageable, don't stress about it.
Reply 29
I found in terms of what we were learning, yes. Second year stuff isn't stuff I can blag from A level. Although in total there are less essays this year. I had 2 modules last year that needed plenty of extra prep, now 4/5 need at least 10 days prep/reading before an essay. Plus this year I have job. :dry:
Original post by MUN123
What degree do you do?

Oh, sorry missed this post. Psychology - might be different at other unis but everyone around here holds the same train of thought.
My degree is known for being piss easy year 1, a complete bitch year 2 and a decent balance between hard and interesting in year 3.

Hey! I know you wrote this about 3 years ago. But, i'm now studying psychology and i'm in 1st year. I'm wondering which year you found the hardest? Which one did you enjoy the most socially? Did you enjoy your degree overall? What did you end up getting? And lastly, what job/career did you end up pursuing? I'm sorry for asking but i saw that you said you do psychology and i'm really curious!
I'm in second year

I can confirm it is harder than first year
Original post by Rosiee_m
Hey! I know you wrote this about 3 years ago. But, i'm now studying psychology and i'm in 1st year. I'm wondering which year you found the hardest? Which one did you enjoy the most socially? Did you enjoy your degree overall? What did you end up getting? And lastly, what job/career did you end up pursuing? I'm sorry for asking but i saw that you said you do psychology and i'm really curious!

I found second year the hardest because there was a lot stuffed into one - our first year was all basic stuff, to make sure everyone was on the same page and then our second was when they crammed all the compulsory BPS modules in. In third year we got to choose almost all our modules so we could choose things that interested us. My favourite module was the marketing one :h: so interesting. First year was my best socially I think.

Loved my degree, I love psychology as a subject but I didn't carry on with it after uni. For me it's not something I'd want to work in. I've been working in HR/Recruitment for the last two years but I'm leaving next week to go and do my Masters in Occupational Therapy, which will qualify me as an OT. Psychology is a great starting point for OT as you learn to communicate with others and understand that everyone is different and has different needs but we all have the same goal.
I found second year the hardest because there was a lot stuffed into one - our first year was all basic stuff, to make sure everyone was on the same page and then our second was when they crammed all the compulsory BPS modules in. In third year we got to choose almost all our modules so we could choose things that interested us. My favourite module was the marketing one :h: so interesting. First year was my best socially I think.

Loved my degree, I love psychology as a subject but I didn't carry on with it after uni. For me it's not something I'd want to work in. I've been working in HR/Recruitment for the last two years but I'm leaving next week to go and do my Masters in Occupational Therapy, which will qualify me as an OT. Psychology is a great starting point for OT as you learn to communicate with others and understand that everyone is different and has different needs but we all have the same goal.

That's really interesting! I have also been looking in to the hr graduate scheme and it says that the salary is 28k. Is that for the 2 years you are there? It also says the starting bonus is 1500. I'm confused on how this works! Good luck for ot! :smile:
Original post by Rosiee_m
That's really interesting! I have also been looking in to the hr graduate scheme and it says that the salary is 28k. Is that for the 2 years you are there? It also says the starting bonus is 1500. I'm confused on how this works! Good luck for ot! :smile:

No idea, I failed the entry tests for the scheme. :wink:
Original post by MUN123
I am a first year student and so far I'm finding my course difficult there are lot's of little tests and work to do, and I'm always behind even though I do the work I'm still finding that there is a new topic the minute a topic was introduced just 3 days ago.

So to my question, Is second year harder than first year in terms of work and assessments etc, since second year counts towards the degree grade?

First year is easy peasy as it can get, second year is horrible, jumping off a cliff into shallow water, get through that and your home and dry. My advice is to latch on to a group who actually understand it. There is a lot of help now on the internet, not like even ten years ago. The main thing is not to get behind even in the first year. I did find that some people dropped out because they were lazy in their approach. Probably why most of us end up cramming. Another thing I found if a certain thing escaped me, I would leave it alone for a bit, then come back to it, sometimes you don't understand it because you are actually trying too hard.

I wish you luck in your life, just don't fret too much, most of us have been there.
Original post by dozyrosie
First year is easy peasy as it can get, second year is horrible, jumping off a cliff into shallow water, get through that and your home and dry. My advice is to latch on to a group who actually understand it. There is a lot of help now on the internet, not like even ten years ago. The main thing is not to get behind even in the first year. I did find that some people dropped out because they were lazy in their approach. Probably why most of us end up cramming. Another thing I found if a certain thing escaped me, I would leave it alone for a bit, then come back to it, sometimes you don't understand it because you are actually trying too hard.

I wish you luck in your life, just don't fret too much, most of us have been there.

What degree did you do? I'm in 1st year psychology and so far its been okay even tho im feeling a bit stressed. I have barely gone over my lecture slides and notes because ive been doing assignments! Is it possible to do it like 2 months before the exam? When did you start going over lecture slides etc! Thanns
Reply 38
This thread is now closed as it is over 3 years old. Please create a new thread if you want to continue this discussion; it would be more relevant!

Latest