The Student Room Group

Antibiotics Question.

Hi all.
I went to the docs after having a cough for around a month and was prescribed antibiotics called Amoxcillin. They're 500mg capsules and I was given a 7 day pack, which I finished today.
My cough has not got any better, all week. I've seen no improvement at all, if anything, the cough has gotten slightly worse.
I was reading a thread on here from a while back and somebody said that Penicillin will help, but these tablets I'm on already contain penicillin.
How long is it going to take for this cough to go?:frown:
I am sick of it now and it's having an effect on my social life. I lose sleep because I wake up coughing. I have coughing fits at Uni in lesson and it's quite embarrassing!
Reply 1
Go back to the doctor.

Also maybe give it a few days?
I had a similar thing, was prescribed Amoxycillin, they did nothing so I went back to the doctors and they gave me different ones call Arithromycin I think, and they did the trick. You should go back, because sometimes certain antibiotics don't work, and unfortunately sometimes it's a virus and not an infection so you will just have to wait it out.

Do you cough because of a dry throat - I found that if I kept cough sweets on hand at all times, especially during classes and lectures I could almost control it, but I agree it's so frustrating when it wakes you up at night. You also, if you can, just need to stay in bed and try and get on top of it that way - you have to help your body too!
Reply 3
I've had cough sweets all of kinds and they don't help me one bit and I always keep a bottle of water with me but that doesn't really help as well. The doctor told me that hot drinks helped and having a bru when I'm having a cough fit, does help slightly.
I can't afford more medicine, these amoxillin were £7.40. I'm obviously a student, but I'm 20, so I have to pay. I have the dentist to pay for this week as well! Grr!
I'll keep trying to keep it at bay, thanks :smile:
But I thought they would've done something by now!
Reply 4
You got any history of lung problems? Do you smoke?
Are you coughing sputum out and which colour is it?

Best bet is to go back to the doc, if it`s more of a dry cough without sputum, it`ll propably go away though, this takes it`s time.
Original post by Jazzle
Hi all.
I went to the docs after having a cough for around a month and was prescribed antibiotics called Amoxcillin. They're 500mg capsules and I was given a 7 day pack, which I finished today.
My cough has not got any better, all week. I've seen no improvement at all, if anything, the cough has gotten slightly worse.
I was reading a thread on here from a while back and somebody said that Penicillin will help, but these tablets I'm on already contain penicillin.
How long is it going to take for this cough to go?:frown:
I am sick of it now and it's having an effect on my social life. I lose sleep because I wake up coughing. I have coughing fits at Uni in lesson and it's quite embarrassing!

Could be several things going on here - if you have a chesat infection, the bug responsible may not have been sensitive to the particular antibiotics given. You may not have an infection at all, in which case the antibiotics won't help. There are several other things that could cause such a cough but it isn't for me to say what it is without a proper history/examination and without knowing if you smoke and/or have asthma.

My advice is - head back to the doctor, explain exactly what's been going on and they'll be able to advise you.
Original post by Jazzle
I've had cough sweets all of kinds and they don't help me one bit and I always keep a bottle of water with me but that doesn't really help as well. The doctor told me that hot drinks helped and having a bru when I'm having a cough fit, does help slightly.
I can't afford more medicine, these amoxillin were £7.40. I'm obviously a student, but I'm 20, so I have to pay. I have the dentist to pay for this week as well! Grr!
I'll keep trying to keep it at bay, thanks :smile:
But I thought they would've done something by now!

I don't know whether it was you who negged me, but if it was, I don't really understand why. Yes, you are tight financially, but I didn't know and it's not my fault. Your antibiotics should have taken effect within the first few days of you taking them. I don't really know what you wanted me to say.
Reply 7
Why would I neg anybody when I'm asking for help??? Think about it next time before you go accusing me.

I don't smoke and I can feel like I'm coughing up something, but I can't actually spit it out, I don't know why. So I can see what colour it is. I will try to though, whether I like it or now!
I'm going to go back to the docs tomorrow, because I have tried everything I have been recommended. Steam inhalation, cough medicine, cough sweets, hot drinks, cold drinks etc.
All I can say is, bring on the doctors, because today has been particularly bad!
Original post by Jazzle
Why would I neg anybody when I'm asking for help??? Think about it next time before you go accusing me.

I don't smoke and I can feel like I'm coughing up something, but I can't actually spit it out, I don't know why. So I can see what colour it is. I will try to though, whether I like it or now!
I'm going to go back to the docs tomorrow, because I have tried everything I have been recommended. Steam inhalation, cough medicine, cough sweets, hot drinks, cold drinks etc.
All I can say is, bring on the doctors, because today has been particularly bad!

Hi OP, one amazingly effective thing for dry coughing is codeine. You can buy it at boots (combined with paracetamol) or I'm sure your GP would prescribe it on it's own. It stops the coughing reflex, worked v v well for me.
Reply 9
Codeine, I'll have to have a look into that, thanks :smile:
I'm now on some tablets called Clarithromycin, for a week. I hope these work, I don't want to be going back and forth to the docs.
Reply 10
Original post by crazybluediamond
Hi OP, one amazingly effective thing for dry coughing is codeine. You can buy it at boots (combined with paracetamol) or I'm sure your GP would prescribe it on it's own. It stops the coughing reflex, worked v v well for me.

Can you buy it at boots!? I thought it was prescription only. Also the coughing reflex is there for a reason, to expel the rubbish from your chest, paralysing the coughing reflex with an opiate probably is not the wisest move.

OP go back and see your GP, might be that amoxycillin didnt just quite cover the bugs causing your infection, or it is indeed viral.
Reply 11
Original post by Sean3000
Can you buy it at boots!? I thought it was prescription only. Also the coughing reflex is there for a reason, to expel the rubbish from your chest, paralysing the coughing reflex with an opiate probably is not the wisest move.

OP go back and see your GP, might be that amoxycillin didnt just quite cover the bugs causing your infection, or it is indeed viral.

It is prescription only by itself as far as I know since it's an opiate. It is available as a low concentration mix at most pharmacies with paracetamol or other painkillers/anti inflammatories though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
You can buy co-codamol 8/500 with 8mg of codeine and 500mg of paracetamol per tablet from the pharmacy, but over the counter, rather than on the open shelf. Co-codamol 30/500 are prescription only, as are codeine 30mg tablets. You can get pholcodeine lictus without a prescription though, which does the same type of thing. With anything containing codeine you have to be aware of the potential for addiction, so you shouldn't use it for more than a couple of days, and it can make you really consitpated.
Original post by Sean3000

That's why I stated it's good for dry coughs. It used to be added to cough mixtures routinely, and is very good for the itchy inflammation in the throat - when you are coughing as the area is so irritated (rather than coughing due to a chesty cough. Nor does it paralyse the cough reflex, if you need to cough something up you will, it just tones down an overactive reflex.
Reply 14
Original post by crazybluediamond
That's why I stated it's good for dry coughs. It used to be added to cough mixtures routinely, and is very good for the itchy inflammation in the throat - when you are coughing as the area is so irritated (rather than coughing due to a chesty cough. Nor does it paralyse the cough reflex, if you need to cough something up you will, it just tones down an overactive reflex.

Im not even going to argue with somebody who promotes the efficacy of 'cough mixture' in a presumed community acquired pneumonia. Codeine is not an anti-inflammatory so your wont reduce the 'itchy inflammation' in the throat.
Reply 15
I been having major coughing problems, it was fairly mild on Monday, but it got severe on Thursday.

I went to the GP on Tuesday, and she said, it's nothing serious, and should heal by itself. She told me to drink honey and lemon, or take paracetamol and didn't prescribe me anything. I had coughing and throat problems before, and a different GP used to prescribe me amoxicillin which clear up the problem. I been drinking honey water and smoother sweets, but it hasn't help.

Now, I could prescribe amoxilcillin by myself over the internet. But I rather a GP prescribes me it. I don't know what I should be taking.

On Thursday, when my cough start getting serious. I went to the pharmacy and ask the guy there what medicine I should take. He told me to get Covonia Original Bronchial Balsam 150 ml. I been taking it since Thursday, and there is no improvement and I think it's making my cough worse. It's only 2 days tho, but if I finish the bottle by next Friday and there is no improvement. I am going to the GP, if he/she said there is no problem, what am I going to do?

I think I take 2 weeks of the gym, and just stay at home. I can barely breathe proberly, and feel really ill.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
I am on some antibiotics with the onset of a possible Perfonitis :frown: Very uncomfortable tummy ache, Understatement..and a Umbilical Sinus..due surgery in April. All uncomfortable complaints to all come at once. I wish that all the nausea would disappear too, its making me all very tired and drained. I am on Co-amoxiclav 500Mg..which is a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid(wtf)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Quiet _One86
I am on some antibiotics with the onset of a possible Perfonitis :frown: Very uncomfortable tummy ache, Understatement..and a Umbilical Sinus..due surgery in April. All uncomfortable complaints to all come at once. I wish that all the nausea would disappear too, its making me all very tired and drained. I am on Co-amoxiclav 500Mg..which is a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid(wtf)

Amoxicillin is the antibiotic, which kills the bacteria. Clavulanic acid is a molecule that is similar in structure to a part of the amoxicillin molecule (beta lactam ring), so it binds to enzymes produced by the bacteria (beta-lactamases) and stops them from binding to and breaking down the amoxicillin instead. This helps to stop the bacteria becoming resistant to the amoxicllin. You'll be taking 500mg of amoxicllin, which is a common dose, combined with 125mg of clavulanic acid.
Original post by *Joanna*
Amoxicillin is the antibiotic, which kills the bacteria. Clavulanic acid is a molecule that is similar in structure to a part of the amoxicillin molecule (beta lactam ring), so it binds to enzymes produced by the bacteria (beta-lactamases) and stops them from binding to and breaking down the amoxicillin instead. This helps to stop the bacteria becoming resistant to the amoxicllin. You'll be taking 500mg of amoxicllin, which is a common dose, combined with 125mg of clavulanic acid.

I have since been put on another dose Floxacillin, its to help the infection I may of aquired by having repair surgery from April. Can't believe it but looking at the wound its not healing well, looks raw and sore. I don't trust the hospital to the right thing anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest