The Student Room Group

Difference between driving a diesel & petrol car

I've done all my lessons in a diesel car but I'm getting the new ford focus when I pass which is a petrol and I'm wondering if there is any big difference in terms of using the pedals or whatever between the two?

I heard the only difference was that you need to apply some gas when you're moving off in a petrol or it will stall, unlike a diesel.
I learned in a diesel and now have a petrol. Definitely took a bit of getting used to the pedals and not being able to pull off without gas. Diesels are generally more forgiving with the clutch too - you can probably pull it up faster without stalling than you can in a petrol. I think ive found the engines sounding differently (I was used to hearing it in the car I learned in) for finding the bite, gear changes etc
I'm learning in a diesel and my instructor said it's harder to stall than a petrol car...so I'm a bit worried about driving my mum's petrol car. :s-smilie:
My previous instructor had a diesel, then when I changed I started learning in a petrol. It did take some time getting used to, and annoying that you can't just move off without gas.
Petrol is a lot more respsonsive, ability to rev higher. Usually around 7200rpm. They're less forgiving, but just as easy to drive, if not easier.

TBH they're just as easy to drive as the other, it's just getting used to teh change.
Original post by amyshamblesxx
My previous instructor had a diesel, then when I changed I started learning in a petrol. It did take some time getting used to, and annoying that you can't just move off without gas.

yeah I just passed my test today, my new car is coming next week, and I'm gutted that I wont be able to move off without using the gas as I've picked up a bit of a habit of doing that lol.
Original post by GlasgowRangers
yeah I just passed my test today, my new car is coming next week, and I'm gutted that I wont be able to move off without using the gas as I've picked up a bit of a habit of doing that lol.

Oh you passed :biggrin: congratulations! How many minors? What manoeuvre did you get? Tell me all about it.

My test is a week tomorrow, I just want time to hurry up so I can take it! :awesome:

So did I - you'll get used to it :smile: only needs a tiny bit
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Oh you passed :biggrin: congratulations! How many minors? What manoeuvre did you get? Tell me all about it.

My test is a week tomorrow, I just want time to hurry up so I can take it! :awesome:

Thanks:biggrin:. I got 4 minors. I actually thought I had failed becuase I feel I drove better on my first test and I failed that lol. This examiner was really nice, though, he kept talking to me and he was funny. It made me feel much more relaxed.

The manoeuver I got was the reverse park around a corner:eek:, I nearly died as I hate that one. I actually didn't do it too well but I think it was done well enough to not fail on, or maybe he just gave me the benefit of the doubt?

When we pulled back into the test center, I done a really bad park. He told me to forget about it, and told me how I could have parked better, and then told me I passed:biggrin:. My instructor seen the way I had parked and said he could have failed me for it.

The thing is, though, I know I'm good at driving, and I'll be fine on my own. It's just that 45min test that can make you make mistakes as you're under so much pressure.

I understand you hate waiting, it's horrible. The test itself is horrible in terms of being nervous and making silly mistakes you wouldn't normaly do. However, even if you fail, just get right back on track like I did. You'll be surprised at how quick an easy the test actually is. Your nerves are your only enemy.:cool: lol

I took 'rescue remedy', it helps to calm your nerves. Good luck with your test. Let us know how you get on!
i think the ride is a lot smoother in a diesel and rougher in a petrol(less forgiving), but both should be easy to drive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by *Interrobang*
So did I - you'll get used to it :smile: only needs a tiny bit

Thanks. I need to pick my car up from my local dealer when it's in some time next week. That's the only bit I'm nervous about, really:colondollar:. It's a fairly busy area so I'll be in the deep end as soon as I get it lol. So, as long as I apply a tiny bit of gas when I'm taking off I wont stall?:biggrin: lol
Thanks. I need to pick my car up from my local dealer when it's in some time next week. That's the only bit I'm nervous about, really:colondollar:. It's a fairly busy area so I'll be in the deep end as soon as I get it lol. So, as long as I apply a tiny bit of gas when I'm taking off I wont stall?:biggrin: lol

Also don't take the clutch off too fast. Can you take an experienced driver to sit with you in the car?
Original post by *Interrobang*
Also don't take the clutch off too fast. Can you take an experienced driver to sit with you in the car?

Yeah I'm going to ask someone to come with me. I don't think it would be wise to try it all myself. Once I get the car back home in my area (its quiet) I'll have a drive about by myself.

Quick Reply

Latest