The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mk900217
Hey, I have a question, trying to find the answer bouncing from thread to thread is kind of giving me a headache :cool: :smile:

Im hoping to move to Lancaster in Sept from Northern Ireland. And I would like to know how do I apply for student finance, I mean I know how to apply, Ive been there before :smile: I mean do I apply for the student finance of england or the student finance of NI... 2 completely different set ups. I dont no what to do :frown:

You apply through Student Finance in N Ireland which doesn't actually open for another week or so :frown:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi,

I know this may have been covered in several other threads, however quite a few seem to be quite old so i'd thought I'd just compile a list of questions. Answer as many or as few as you'd like :smile:

Accommodation
If both my first and second accommodation choices are superior en suite, am i likely to get an en suite room?
Do superior en suites all have TV aerial sockets? If so, what sort of size TV is likely to be suitable?
Am I likely to need to buy bedding? Duvet cover etc.

Living
Is it easy to get to a supermarket? if so, which one is cheapest? :biggrin:
What cooking related stuff is provided? ie. will I have to bring pots, pans, cutlery, george foreman etc.?
Is a ground floor flat really that bad?

Sport/fitness
I used to play squash a lot when I was younger (played for my county), but had to stop because of injury. I'm hoping to take it back up; is there decent squash facilities?
How suitable is the campus for jogging?

Student necessities
What stuff should i bring in time for freshers? beer, etc. :wink:
I've had a reasonably sheltered childhood, and looking forward to easily being able to go out :biggrin: considering its relatively new to me, but i'm quite a sociable person, I presume it should be easy for me to enjoy myself without getting completely trashed? I dont mind getting drunk, and I enjoy it, but I like to remember my evenings haha :smile:

And finally, just for the funny comments - which college should I choose and why? :smile: (remember I'd quite like an en-suite room)

Thanks in advance

Matt
So cute at this age.
Serious answer: there's a sports centre on campus with squash courts. Bring cooking stuff but not valuable stuff as it will go missing or get nicked. Lancaster is great for running, though it's hilly. Get off campus though, it's in some stunning countryside with fells and trails and roads. If you don't want to get drunk, don't drink. Supermarkets are not that close at all.

My main advice: relax.
Reply 4044
Hey,

Accommodation:

Q1: In County at least superior en suite tends to be the choice of first years and at least when I lived in County South in first year it pretty much was. If both your first and second choices are, whilst it cant be guaranteed it chances are you will.

Q2: All accommodation on campus has TV aerial sockets however outside university I think it tends to be Male-Female connection where as on campus its Male-Male or Female-Female (one of the two), bring an adaptor as the electrical shop on campus will sell you one for an extortionate amount.

Q3: Yes you will need bedding, it will be cheaper than a bedding pack. You will need a fitted sheet, duvet, duvet cover, pillows and pillow cases.

Living:

Q1: There are a couple easy to get to, the main ones are Booth's and Sainsbury's (main choice of most), there is also a small Tesco's Express as well, all are in town. A bit further afield there is an Asda which you can get to via a footpath (20-30mins) or there is a bus, though off the top of my head I couldn't tell you which one. There is a spar on campus, for your basics its okay but for a weekly shop it isn't really great. However most people tend to do a shop online and spread to delivery costs between 2-4 people.

Q2: In sup-en suite expect Oven, Hob, Fridge, Freezers, Kettles, Toasters, Sinks, Iron, Ironing Board, Mop, Bucket, Brush and a dustpan and brush. Usually 2 of each.

Q3. Ground floor flats aren't bad, quoting one of my fellow library procrastinates.

Sport/fitness:

Q1: New sports centre - Yes

Q2: Its pretty decent

Student necessities:

Q1: A door stop and as much or as little alcohol as you want

Q2: Yeah, remembering nights.. seems to get harder the longer your here

College:

Check the college thread out, as a County boy, I'm going to say County... tho the lass next to me says Lonsdale.. that's our friendship on the rocks..

Pete G.
Original post by marnold00
Hi,

I know this may have been covered in several other threads, however quite a few seem to be quite old so i'd thought I'd just compile a list of questions. Answer as many or as few as you'd like :smile:

Accommodation
If both my first and second accommodation choices are superior en suite, am i likely to get an en suite room?
Do superior en suites all have TV aerial sockets? If so, what sort of size TV is likely to be suitable?
Am I likely to need to buy bedding? Duvet cover etc.

Living
Is it easy to get to a supermarket? if so, which one is cheapest? :biggrin:
What cooking related stuff is provided? ie. will I have to bring pots, pans, cutlery, george foreman etc.?
Is a ground floor flat really that bad?

Sport/fitness
I used to play squash a lot when I was younger (played for my county), but had to stop because of injury. I'm hoping to take it back up; is there decent squash facilities?
How suitable is the campus for jogging?

Student necessities
What stuff should i bring in time for freshers? beer, etc. :wink:
I've had a reasonably sheltered childhood, and looking forward to easily being able to go out :biggrin: considering its relatively new to me, but i'm quite a sociable person, I presume it should be easy for me to enjoy myself without getting completely trashed? I dont mind getting drunk, and I enjoy it, but I like to remember my evenings haha :smile:

And finally, just for the funny comments - which college should I choose and why? :smile: (remember I'd quite like an en-suite room)

Thanks in advance

Matt

Affinity89
For food:
- Sainsbury's Lancaster [next to the bus station - any bus into Lancaster will do [run every couple of minutes]]
- Booths Lancaster [in Hala, half way between campus and town - any 2/2A/3 bus will drop you off outside it]
- Somerfield/Co-Op Lancaster [next to the bus station - any bus into Lancaster will do [run every couple of minutes]]
- Asda Morecambe [on the road out of Lancaster, over the bridge - bus to Lancaster bus station and then walk or two buses from campus]
- Sainsbury's Morecambe [bigger store on way into Morecambe - 2A stops outside]
- Tesco Morecambe [in the shopping precinct - one bus from campus - 3]
- Morrison's Morecambe [seafront - one bus from campus - 3]
- Aldi Morecambe [sea front - one bus from campus]
- Independent shops in Lancaster including a vegetarian coop [Single Step Cooperative], a Thai supermarket, a Chinese supermarket, bi-weekly food market etc.

Prices vary. Depending on offers etc, any of the major supermarkets might work out the best value at any given time. The Single Step Cooperative is really good for items like spices, dried goods and vegan toiletries. :smile:.

In the kitchen, you'll find a toaster, kettle, fridge/freezer and an oven with grill and hob. Everything else you'll have to bring yourself. :smile:

You need to bring bedding [everything - sheets, pillows etc] unless you order a 'bedding pack' when you book your accommodation. :smile:

Ground floor flats are fine. I was in one in first year. You might get the odd person having a look as they walk passed lol but I never had a problem. I even used to nap etc with the window wide open [whilst nothing every happened, I probably wouldn't recommend it lol]. At most, you'll have noise from above [same goes for any floor other than the top floor] lol. :smile:

People are pretty jog-crazy on campus. You'd often see 20+ people jog passed in under 10 minutes, especially in early evening or on a sunny day. You can jog along the road section [on the road or pavement lol] or you can jog along the woodland path. That offers ups, downs and a mixture of surfaces to jog on. :smile:

You only have to drink as much as you want to drink. No one should force you to drink more. Remember to keep an eye on your drink and not to leave them unattended; with that simple rule, you should be fine. :smile:
Thanks,
Sorry for the stupid questions, but I presume I'd also need a full duvet? not that its a problem.

And I dont let people force me to drink :smile: been out a few times when driving, and if I'm driving I strictly dont touch the stuff... cant wait :biggrin: just need my AAB... thanks for the replies
Original post by marnold00
Thanks,
Sorry for the stupid questions, but I presume I'd also need a full duvet? not that its a problem.

And I dont let people force me to drink :smile: been out a few times when driving, and if I'm driving I strictly dont touch the stuff... cant wait :biggrin: just need my AAB... thanks for the replies

Yup, you'll need a duvet, pillows etc. I forgot my duvet at the start of this year, luckily I was going home at the end of freshers' week for a family meal anyway...
Reply 4048
Hello all!!
I have quite a few questions, since I am thinking of firming Lancaster for Politics with IR, but won't be able to visit the university until maybe after May (after I have my prom wooohooo :biggrin:)

1) So is Politics with IR considered as two subjects and one can only take one other subject as a minor, or is it considered as a single one, and you can take 2 more?

2) What languages can you study while there? I only found about French, Italian, Spanish and German. Are there any others? (specifically portuguese??)

3) Can you drop a minor subject, if you don't like it?

4) Is it a long ride from Manchester to Lancaster?

5) Also is the university itself inside or outside of the town?

6) Is the international community strongly represented?

7) Does it ultimately matter what college you end up in? Also, do you get assigned a college, or you choose one?

That's all I can think for now. Thanks!!!!!
Original post by lora_s
Hello all!!
I have quite a few questions, since I am thinking of firming Lancaster for Politics with IR, but won't be able to visit the university until maybe after May (after I have my prom wooohooo :biggrin:)

1) So is Politics with IR considered as two subjects and one can only take one other subject as a minor, or is it considered as a single one, and you can take 2 more?

2) What languages can you study while there? I only found about French, Italian, Spanish and German. Are there any others? (specifically portuguese??)

7) Does it ultimately matter what college you end up in? Also, do you get assigned a college, or you choose one?

Unless it has changed recently [which I don't think it has], Politics & IR are one subject in first year. You take Poli100 which is an overview course featuring elements of both politics and IR. You then take up two minor subjects.

There is a window to change minor subjects, but you have to make sure you take the full 120 worth of credits in first year - you can't just drop a subject/module. :smile:

Manchester to Lancaster is around 50 miles. It takes 1 hour on the train, plus a short bus ride from Lancaster to campus. :smile:

Lancaster is a campus university, approximately 3 miles from the city centre. There are buses from campus every couple of minutes.

Colleges don't really matter. When you first start, they will be the first community you feel part of and you will ultimately graduate with the college. However, all of the colleges offer the chance to get involved in sports, student politics, student media etc.
Original post by lora_s
Hello all!!

1) It's one subject so you have to take two other subjects in your first year.

2) I think it's only French, German and Spanish.

3) If you don't like your minors, you can change them within the first three weeks I think.

4) It's less than an hour by train and a return ticket only costs about £10 or so.

5) It's outside the town, about 15 minutes by bus.

6) There are quite a lot of international students, especially Chinese and South Asian. Quite a lot of Greeks too, some Germans etc., and there are a few hundred students from different countries, including the US, Canada, Australia etc. coming here on exchange every year or term.
There are some dinners etc for international students but if you ask me, there should be more socials and events for international students.

7) You choose two colleges, firm and insurance. If your choices are really popular, e.g. County or Grizedale townhouses, you'll have a smaller chance of getting in.
All that really matters is what type of accommodation you want and where. I've lived in Cartmel for almost 3 years now and personally, if I could I kinda wish I'd gone somewhere else. Southwest campus is too far away from everything for my liking (10-15 minutes might sound okay but if all your friends live in the centre of the campus or when you have to walk 15 minutes to County for your 9 or 10 am class when it's windy and raining, well it kinda sucks :tongue: ).
Original post by lora_s
Hello all!!

The answers above are very good, but just to expand on question 3 I'll just elaborate on major/minors.

In the humanities you take 3 subjects in your first year. Politics and IR is one subject so you have to take two other subjects in your first year. You need to pass these minors but can drop them at the end of year 1. So you could elect to continue a minor (and, say, take a few modules in history in year 2/3) or you could just study pure politics/ir from year 2 onwards.
Does anyone know if you can still study minors if your studying medicine?

I cant find much on this
Original post by Julian_valensi

I cant find much on this

I would assume not.
Reply 4054
Original post by Julian_valensi

I cant find much on this

I think I figured out the whole minor/major system.
Open this. Then find your major and check what the weight of the compulsory modules of first year is. If it equals one, then you can take two minor subjects.
Example 1: Business studies . One of the compulsory modules in Year 1 equals 0.6 in weight, the other 0.4. Therefore, you can take 2 more subjects, that have a total weight of 2.
Example 2: Biomedicine and Medical Statistics. There are ten modules, each equalling 0.2. Therefore, this makes a total of 2 credits (or whatever they are called.) So you can take a minor worth 1 credit.
Example 3: Biomedical Science. It takes all 3 credits (0.2x15). So this means you can't study anything else.
I think that's it

EDIT: apparently the links don't work, so just google "online courses handbook lancaster university" and you'll find it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4055
Hellooooo!!!

I am very happy that u are here to help us :]
I have firmed my offer on Lancaster Uni for Politics and I can't wait to come there and start doing my course!! Now I want to apply for the accommodation on the County..but I am not sure about the prices there... can u inform me if there is an ensuite room there available for the undergraduates 2012/2013, which is the difference between ensuite & basic ensuite & superior ensuite room?

Thank u very much for ur time!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by katrine
Hellooooo!!!

I am very happy that u are here to help us :]
I have firmed my offer on Lancaster Uni for Politics and I can't wait to come there and start doing my course!! Now I want to apply for the accommodation on the County..but I am not sure about the prices there... can u inform me if there is an ensuite room there available for the undergraduates 2012/2013, which is the difference between ensuite & basic ensuite & superior ensuite room?

Thank u very much for ur time!!

The cheapest en-suite accomodation in County is £101 per week (Basic En-suite)
From what I understand, Superior en-suite is different to basic en-suite in that you get a more modern room (they've been refurbished) and the kitchen / living space is also more modern. Superior en-suite rooms cost between £112 and £120 per week - the ones at the upper end of this price range have slightly bigger bedrooms. The prices I've stated are for self-catered accomodation.

I'm starting at Lancaster in September, so I obviously don't have any photographs of the campus / accomodation, but at the bottom I've added a link that someone posted on here a while back. If you skip through the album, this is all of County's accomodation.

County south is Superior en-suite
County main is Superior Standard which has 3 bathrooms between 8 students (or 5 bathrooms between 13)
John Creed is Basic en-suite
and the Townhouses have 1 bathroom for every 2 students

Click here to go to the album :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4057
Original post by rachaelizabeth
The cheapest en-suite accomodation in County is £101 per week (Basic En-suite)
From what I understand, Superior en-suite is different to basic en-suite in that you get a more modern room (they've been refurbished) and the kitchen / living space is also more modern. Superior en-suite rooms cost between £112 and £120 per week - the ones at the upper end of this price range have slightly bigger bedrooms. The prices I've stated are for self-catered accomodation.
ice range have slightly bigger bedrooms.
I'm starting at Lancaster in September, so I obviously don't have any photographs of the campus / accomodation, but at the bottom I've added a link that someone posted on here a while back. If you skip through the album, this is all of County's accomodation.

County south is Superior en-suite
County main is Superior Standard which has 3 bathrooms between 8 students (or 5 bathrooms between 13)
John Creed is Basic en-suite
and the Townhouses have 1 bathroom for every 2 students

Click here to go to the album :smile:

thank u very much for ur reply and for the link with the photos it was very helpful but I haven't understand smthg...on which room do we have our own bathroom? on the superior en-suite?
so u are starting ur course as an undergraduate right? what are u going to study? :smile:
Original post by katrine
thank u very much for ur reply and for the link with the photos it was very helpful but I haven't understand smthg...on which room do we have our own bathroom? on the superior en-suite?
so u are starting ur course as an undergraduate right? what are u going to study? :smile:

En-suite rooms have bathrooms. Basic just means that it's older/smaller, superior is newer, but both have bathrooms.
Reply 4059
Original post by RabbitCFH
En-suite rooms have bathrooms. Basic just means that it's older/smaller, superior is newer, but both have bathrooms.

Okay!

I really prefer to have my own bathroom not a shared one..but I think that on the basic u have to share it!

Quick Reply

Latest