The Student Room Group

The Trans*/Non-Cisgender Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by fallen_acorns
Hey, Im not sure if any of you are interested - or what the rules are, but this may be of interest to some of you:

http://equalmagazine.tumblr.com/

Its a new magazine thats being set up, and they are looking for LGBT+ contributors,

lily
x

Thank you - I've registered my interest :smile:
Original post by Anomaly11
Thank you - I've registered my interest :smile:

awesome :smile: how are you?
Reply 422
awesome :smile: how are you?

:biggrin:

I'm OK, just insanely tired at the moment (too much work :sigh:), thanks for asking! I'm very close to getting my first appointment at a gender clinic now - I've only got to reply to an email - which is the main thing keeping me going...

How're you doing?
:biggrin:

I'm OK, just insanely tired at the moment (too much work :sigh:), thanks for asking! I'm very close to getting my first appointment at a gender clinic now - I've only got to reply to an email - which is the main thing keeping me going...

How're you doing?

ah ok, well its still great news about the gender clinic :smile: im very happy for you,

Im doing ok, gender stuff is going pretty well, now almost completly out - im out to everyone that matters now, so thats good, --- just working on the rest of my life now, trying to get that in order :redface:
Reply 424
ah ok, well its still great news about the gender clinic :smile: im very happy for you,

Im doing ok, gender stuff is going pretty well, now almost completly out - im out to everyone that matters now, so thats good, --- just working on the rest of my life now, trying to get that in order :redface:

That's brillant! I'm really happy for you too - it's such a relief when you can just get on with living life how you need to, without having to deal with reactions (as much)... Especially if it's mostly taken well :smile:

My appointment's on the 31st. I don't know what I'm actually going to have to talk about, but I'm still excited :colondollar:
Hi again, I'm going to have to create another account so I can post freely on here but at the moment I just need to discuss this...

I need some help/advice:

- Last March (2011) I saw my GP, told them I had gender issues.
- GP referred me to a psychologist.
- Saw the psychologist in November 2011.
- Since then I have been waiting for a referal to a gender clinic.
- I rang my doc to see what was going on because November was ages ago.
- The psychologist has dianosed me as Gender Dysphoric and mentally well.
- I have NOT been refered to gender clinic because my PCT will NOT fund the treatment.
- There is nothing my doctor can do.

What can I do now?

My doctor said if I can find ANOTHER gender clinic and bring him the details, he will refer me. But - won't other clinics want my PCT to fund it too? So it won't matter which clinic he refers me to, my PCT won't fund it.

Thanks for any help.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi again, I'm going to have to create another account so I can post freely on here but at the moment I just need to discuss this...

I need some help/advice:

- I have NOT been refered to gender clinic because my PCT will NOT fund the treatment.

What can I do now?

My doctor said if I can find ANOTHER gender clinic and bring him the details, he will refer me. But - won't other clinics want my PCT to fund it too? So it won't matter which clinic he refers me to, my PCT won't fund it.

Thanks for any help.

I'm pretty sure it is illegal for PCT's to have a blanket ban on treatment for gender stuff. I think if you contact Press for Change http://www.pfc.org.uk/ they may be able to advise you on your legal standing! Where in the country are you/what PCT are you under/ what Gender clinic, if you are comfortable saying so, I may be able to give you better advice!
Original post by Alexander94
I'm pretty sure it is illegal for PCT's to have a blanket ban on treatment for gender stuff. I think if you contact Press for Change http://www.pfc.org.uk/ they may be able to advise you on your legal standing! Where in the country are you/what PCT are you under/ what Gender clinic, if you are comfortable saying so, I may be able to give you better advice!

Not really comfortable saying. Thank you for the link - I'll check that out :smile:. I'm going to give my doc a clinic name, ask for a referal and see what the PCT says. If they say no then I will fight it.

I feel really let down by the NHS right now - it's lucky that I'm not seriously depressed/vulnerable because a more sensitive person who had waited this long (12 months!) and ended up being told 'no' might not take this quite as well as I'm doing. I can very much see how people slip through the cracks.
Reply 428
Original post by Anonymous

I need some help/advice:

What can I do now?

Thanks for any help.

Oh god, this is exactly what I'm scared of happening. If you don't mind me asking, what's your PCT?

Twitter is possibly your best bet here; it has a relatively large and helpful trans community. https://twitter.com/#!/Mrs_Transman is the wife of a guy who was denied testosterone by Nottingham PCT, and managed to fight and repeal that successfully; she might know what to do and how she won, or she might be able to put you in touch with people who do know. Outside of that, I can ask on Twitter for you if you like - I'm pretty active in trans tweeting.

In the meantime, is there any way you can start to save up a little bit of money in case you end up needing to go private? I know it's hideously expensive and a total last resort, and I can't even afford to save up for it, but if you're financially stable it may be worth preparing for.
:hat2:
Reply 430
Hello again, everyone...

I was just wondering if anyone's had any experience with Dr Lorimer, as I've got an appointment coming up in just over a week's time and I'm getting kinda nervous...

He's really nice (judgement made solely through email correspondence :colondollar:) and has a similar sense of humour to me, but I just want to get an idea of what to expect. If anyone's already done the Initial Hoop Jumping Bit (which I do understand is necessary, please note :biggrin:), I'd appreciate any help I can get.

He was pretty chill, when I went he mostly just asked me about my general life, what I was up to, who I was living with, out to, if I'd changed my name yet etc. Asked what I was hoping to get (eg hormones, surgery etc) and basically just gathered all the background information! Also asked about allergies, illness, history of suicide in family, things like past operations, if I drink/smoke, if I'd ever been pregnant.. asked about my sexuality.. uh that's all I can remember! The one thing I was scared of was that he might try and grill me trying to challenge if I was really trans or not, but nothing like that, they pretty much accept coming in that you are so all they're doing is making sure you're in the right place in your life/living situation etc to be starting hormone treatment/surgery/etc.!
Reply 432
Hello again, everyone...

I was just wondering if anyone's had any experience with Dr Lorimer, as I've got an appointment coming up in just over a week's time and I'm getting kinda nervous...

He's really nice (judgement made solely through email correspondence :colondollar:) and has a similar sense of humour to me, but I just want to get an idea of what to expect. If anyone's already done the Initial Hoop Jumping Bit (which I do understand is necessary, please note :biggrin:), I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I have no tips, but can I just ask when you were referred? I was referred in November and am yet to hear anything.

(Also, off-topic, but could you PM me your email address? You gave me it on tumblr, but it got lost in my inbox :tongue:)
Reply 433
Original post by kerily
I have no tips, but can I just ask when you were referred? I was referred in November and am yet to hear anything.

(Also, off-topic, but could you PM me your email address? You gave me it on tumblr, but it got lost in my inbox :tongue:)

Aw, that sucks :frown:

I went to my GP in August (I think), but I'm going private - I've barely got the funds to cover it, but I've got an arrangement with my parents :s-smilie: - the appointment's come after a long email exchange via the enquiry forms on their website.

Where were you referred to? I hope you don't have to wait much longer, anyway - I know the effects waiting can have all too well. Sigh.

Spoiler

Yep, sure - Tumblr's done that to me before as well :sigh:
Reply 434
Aw, that sucks :frown:

I went to my GP in August (I think), but I'm going private - I've barely got the funds to cover it, but I've got an arrangement with my parents :s-smilie: - the appointment's come after a long email exchange via the enquiry forms on their website.

Where were you referred to? I hope you don't have to wait much longer, anyway - I know the effects waiting can have all too well. Sigh.

Spoiler

Yep, sure - Tumblr's done that to me before as well :sigh:

I can't afford to go private, parents or no parents, so I'm going via the NHS. I've jumped through every hoop except a deed poll, which I mean to get round to very shortly :smile: So hopefully I can procure T when I've had an appointment. I was apparently referred to Charing Cross.
Reply 435
Original post by kerily
I can't afford to go private, parents or no parents, so I'm going via the NHS. I've jumped through every hoop except a deed poll, which I mean to get round to very shortly :smile: So hopefully I can procure T when I've had an appointment. I was apparently referred to Charing Cross.

Fair enough :smile:

They're notorious for their waiting lists, aren't they? But I'd say you've damn well waited long enough :angry: evil NHS. Calm. If you got referred in November, you should get an appointment fairly soon, I hope...? Maybe it's worth phoning to see how far off it is? Sorry - I'm still pretty clueless about how it all works, to be honest :s-smilie:

I hope it's not taking its toll too much though... and :hugs: if you need one!
Hi, I'm a cis guy :smile:
Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but basically I find trans girls really attractive, and I'd like to know where I can meet some, I did find a trans dating site, but there weren't too many girls on there. Just curious :smile:
I got referred roughly around january/february of 2011, got a letter in about june, giving me an appointment in october. it doesn't always take quite that long but it gives you an idea.. they aren't exactly efficient, that's for sure.
Once you get referred, usually T comes on appt number 2. My second appointment was earlier this month. Appointments are usually 4-6 months apart.
Reply 438
Original post by fabbykadabra
He was pretty chill, when I went he mostly just asked me about my general life, what I was up to, who I was living with, out to, if I'd changed my name yet etc. Asked what I was hoping to get (eg hormones, surgery etc) and basically just gathered all the background information! Also asked about allergies, illness, history of suicide in family, things like past operations, if I drink/smoke, if I'd ever been pregnant.. asked about my sexuality.. uh that's all I can remember! The one thing I was scared of was that he might try and grill me trying to challenge if I was really trans or not, but nothing like that, they pretty much accept coming in that you are so all they're doing is making sure you're in the right place in your life/living situation etc to be starting hormone treatment/surgery/etc.!

Hi - sorry, apparently my brain wasn't switched on when I last posted and I didn't see your (brilliant) response until now, so... very belated thanks for all the info!

That's incredibly helpful - my nerves have been officially calmed :biggrin:
I was worried about the same thing, possible-interrogation-wise, so I'm glad to hear that he won't do that! He seemed really laid-back in his emails too...

Thanks again :smile:
I got sick of stuff so have told a bunch of people recently in dribs and drabs. Also chose a name and have asked people to try and refer to me as thta and male pronouns. I feel a mixture of relief and feeling bloody weird in a bad way. Also feel huge amounts of shame and guilt as I haven't let my family into my secret yet.

hate this complicated shizz y'know?

Quick Reply

Latest