The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TerriAndrea
Hello I'm still at school as well, have my first audition tomorrow at the Old Vic and the RADA next week, followed by LAMDA, Drama Centre and then Oxford. I have my monologues prepared but I'm wondering what advice can you give my on the RADA audition and what monologues did you perform? Well done to getting through to the recall, but general tips on what to wear and what to expect would help, thank you. Best wishes

Hey sorry just saw your message,
dont be nervous about rada, they are so so nice, i did helena and leah from dna and then at my recall i did lady percy as well. I wore all black to be safe but you really dont have to do that. I didn't get through to the last round for 3 year but they've asked me to come back for the foundation final recall, does anyone know what that involves? hope ive been of some sort of help, and i hope your auditions go well!
Also i've just been accepted onto the Oxford foundation course has anyone else got in? would be good to know of anyone else potentially doing itt.
Reply 222
What did you guys wear at your Central audition? (because they're very clear about what not to wear)
Do you think leggins and a loose fitting shirt will be fine?
Anyone at Central on 11th April? Or Guildhall 3rd April? Or Mountview 17th April?
Long shot -___- i know..
Omg does anyone know any comedic contemp plays? finding it sooo hard to find one suitable
Female 18-25?
:smile:
Reply 224
Anyone at Mountview this Wednesday, or RADA this Thursday???
Reply 225
Original post by GonnaMarryTheNight

Omg does anyone know any comedic contemp plays? finding it sooo hard to find one suitable
Female 18-25?

Maybe look into Dennis Kelly's plays (Love and Money, Debris, Osama The Hero, DNA...).
You can find quite a few comedic monologues in his plays!
Hi people, hope you're all good and auditions are going well.

I'm going for:

East 15 - Got a place
Drama Centre - Final recall
LAMDA - still to do
Central -still to do
hopefully RADA. - not sure

Also anyone got lamda 28th of march and central on the 4th of april?

sweet, good luck again. x
Original post by rprice500
Just found out that I didn't get into MMU. Really gutted coz it was my first recall and felt it went well! Ah wellll 5 more auditions still! Just panic booked Central for April 4th. Anyone else going then? I'm so scared that there'll be virtually no places left then though.

Anyone had any luck in gaining a place anywhere?

im doing central that day!!! met another guy at east 15 whose on that day too. we'll link up :smile:
Reply 228
Original post by simplysolomon
im doing central that day!!! met another guy at east 15 whose on that day too. we'll link up :smile:

Sounds good :smile: do you have Facebook?

ALSO had my RADA audition today and Rosie Webster from Corrie was also auditioning! Very surreal.

ALSO had my RADA audition today and Rosie Webster from Corrie was also auditioning! Very surreal.

hahaa! Woww thats crazy! Bet she'll get in
Hi.

my friend has got a RADA audition coming up and is wondering how to recite the Shakespeare monologue:

either in a 'Shakespearean \ Thespian' way,

or did some people do it in a more contemporary way?

any thoughts or advice please

thanks
Original post by aliciaedwards
Heey, I'm still at school and applying to drama school for this year,
I've had recalls at RADA and Drama Centre but have been offered to try again for the foundation course for drama centre.

I'm also auditioning for;
Guildhall
Oxford
LAMDA
BOV
Mountview
Central
Rose Bruford
RWCMD

Just wondering, has anyone auditioned for GSA (guildford) BA Acting? just wondering what the audition is like?
also has anyone auditioned for or been on the drama centre foundation course?

Not sure if you still need this but...
I auditioned for GSA in December and loved it. It's all pretty informal and fun but you get a good amount of time to show them what you can do. We started with some drama games with some current students for the whole group to relax and loosen up. Then we split into two group and did three 1 hour workshops. The first was acting (drama games, improvisation, performed one of our monologues etc.), then movement (expressing various images though movement individually and then in groups) and then finally voice (where we worked on our prepared Shakespeare sonnets and various vocal exercises). There was then a break for lunch whilst they decided who they wanted to see for the afternoon session. The afternoon session was basically just going back in to see the panel individually to perform your second monologue, then a rather in-depth interview, where they really do get to know you! They then let you go and you receive a letter within 2 weeks telling you their decision (I got in :biggrin:).
It's nothing to worry about though, everyone's really friendly and by the end of the day it was my first choice.
Hope this is useful!
Original post by GonnaMarryTheNight
Anyone at Central on 11th April? Or Guildhall 3rd April? Or Mountview 17th April?
Long shot -___- i know..
Female 18-25?

I'm at Central on the 11th!
I struggled loads finding my monologues, I've been buying plays for about two years before finding the ones I felt most comfortable with. It's worth taking a few weeks intense reading to find the 'right' one.
'Memory of Water' by Shelagh Stevenson has a couple of good comedy ones, despite being a bit of a bittersweet play. Also try 'Stepping Out', can't remember who its by, and there are no straight monologues, you have to sometimes join the dots and have short paragraphs stuck together, I can't really remember?
How contemp. were you thinking? Just anything 20th Century? Because Oscar Wilde writes brilliant female monologues?
Also, Sue Townsend writes fantastically funny stuff, just depends on your age.

Hope this helps a bit!
See you on the 11th maybe (:
xx
Original post by robberbill
Hi.

my friend has got a RADA audition coming up and is wondering how to recite the Shakespeare monologue:

either in a 'Shakespearean \ Thespian' way,

or did some people do it in a more contemporary way?

any thoughts or advice please

thanks

I've always been taught to do it in my own accent. When watching Shakespeare I find it a lot more intense and believable if you're not faking some daft Thesp voice just to sound like you know what you're doing. Plus it shows you're really comfortable with the part you're acting (so I'm told)
Plus I've always thought Shakespeare sounds amazing in full on Northern Accents!!!!
Thanks Holly

ill pass that on.

Are you already at drama school or applying this year?

yeah i have facebook, Theo Solomon.

she's fit, did you get to see her act at all? how is RADA i heard its intimidating and they really speak their mind?
i got into drama centre too, so i think the rest of my auditions are gonna be for confidence :smile:
Original post by robberbill
Thanks Holly

ill pass that on.

Are you already at drama school or applying this year?

Applying this year (:
Got Bruford callback on the 5th and Central on the 11th. Only applied for drama schools through UCAS this time because of the sheer cost of the auditions, but I loved Bristol Old Vic when I went to see a show there last year, and am pretty interested in RADA, so I dunno what my plan is at the moment! I've got a place at University of Hull to do drama and theatre practice, which was initially my back up plan, but it's an amazing place and I was really surprised at how good the facilities are- plus they work with other aspects of theatre such as set design and costume, which is pretty good if you want experience in a lot of fields to get some general workplace knowledge. I'm thinking of going there this year then re-applying everywhere next year on a student loan!! Haha.
Just going to see how these two auditions go then see what I'll end up doing I think.

Have you ever applied before? Or are you coming straight from college?
xx
Reply 237
Is anyone here studying at Central or RWCMD?

I cant choose between the courses and the firming deadline is soon,
Im nervous about picking the wrong school so would be super happy if I could get some advice from current/former students or even just somebody who knows more about the schools than I do.

Ta!
Hi Philemon, I'm currently studying at Central, what would you like to know about the school?? :smile: x
Reply 239
Hello everyone, I am finding very hard to find a comedy monologue that suits me. Do you know any playwrights whose characters are close to my age? (18-25) I have found interesting monologues but any of them belongs to a character from my age!

Thank you!!

Sebastian

Quick Reply

Latest