The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by xxmoist
Wow, I am only asked for BBB. Did you get predicted high by your teachers or something? so what's going to be your firm and insurance choice now?

I'm predicted A*AA so I guess that could be why they've offered me so highly? I'm pretty confused, I don't know what to insure/firm - I'm torn between Edinburgh/UCL
Reply 661
Original post by danrw4
3As! Can't believe its so high, it was meant to be my insurance haha

same thing for me! now i have an insurance i don't even want :frown:
I think I'm going to firm leeds as it means I don't have to study for 4 years, it's a pretty long time! But tbh I don't mind either uni I go to!

yeah 4 years is loooong! ahaha i've an offer from leeds! still tempted to put it as my insurance :smile: not sure, cos of Edinburgh :/ ah well! ahahahha nah I care about where I'm going! So so expensive!

I'm predicted A*AA so I guess that could be why they've offered me so highly? I'm pretty confused, I don't know what to insure/firm - I'm torn between Edinburgh/UCL

hmmmmm i'm predicted that (and another A) but I was offered BBB from Edinburgh....... I'm pretty confused now! Sorry to scrape!
*waves* Hello. I applied for Linguistics Q100 at Edinburgh. I am a US international and my application is still on 'pending'. ^^;
Reply 664
Original post by danrw4

Lancaster will be my firm choice and I have put Edinburgh as my back up

well, that's tough. So what do you think about these two at the moment?
Reply 665
Original post by xxmoist
Lancaster will be my firm choice and I have put Edinburgh as my back up

well, that's tough. So what do you think about these two at the moment?

going to the edinburgh open day on the 4th april to see what it's like but I'm so tempted by UCLs prestige
Reply 666
Original post by Firecrackerchild
yeah 4 years is loooong! ahaha i've an offer from leeds! still tempted to put it as my insurance :smile: not sure, cos of Edinburgh :/ ah well! ahahahha nah I care about where I'm going! So so expensive!

hmmmmm i'm predicted that (and another A) but I was offered BBB from Edinburgh....... I'm pretty confused now! Sorry to scrape!

ahhh i don't know either, according to their website they offer higher grades to english/independent schooled candidates, which I am both of :unimpressed:
ahhh i don't know either, according to their website they offer higher grades to english/independent schooled candidates, which I am both of

AMAZING SMILEY! ahaha
Ahhhh I am state and english, and live really really far from edinburgh......... this makes no sense!
Reply 668
AMAZING SMILEY! ahaha
Ahhhh I am state and english, and live really really far from edinburgh......... this makes no sense!

true although I think it mostly has something to do with combined honours, my friends who have lower offers (not 3As) have applied for combined honours and have been given AAB/ABB
Still pending for Edinburgh. Auuugh.
true although I think it mostly has something to do with combined honours, my friends who have lower offers (not 3As) have applied for combined honours and have been given AAB/ABB

Ooooo, that's interesting, I don't know anyone who applied for joints at Edinburgh! Wonder why it would be lower for joint though!
Reply 671
Ooooo, that's interesting, I don't know anyone who applied for joints at Edinburgh! Wonder why it would be lower for joint though!

It gets curiouser and curiouser!

How is everyone doing? Firmed and insured yet?:smile:
Nope. Still 'pending'! :frown:
Reply 673
yup firmed leeds (ABB) and edinburgh (BBB)!!!
Reply 674
Original post by danrw4
I really liked the idea of lancaster until I went there, it's concrete, grim and the town seemed so dead. I come from London and the two towns are polar opposites! London is really vibrant and fast-paced but I hear Lancaster nightlife is awful and the university campus is really ugly. It's rated 1st for linguistics like you said but UCL is so much more respected as a university so you'd never guess Lancaster was above UCL. It can be expensive to live in London but it depends on how you live! Unless you want to eat out in the West End every night London isn't that much more expensive than anywhere else. Hope that helps!

hah, looks like this is proving an unpopular comment but i'm gonna agree with you on several counts!

important things to bear in mind- linguistics is a small department at most unis so a bit of extra funding, a busy research-paper year or an additional member of staff can have a big impact on ranking... i never really considered league tables by department because there's so much potential for fluctuation year-on-year. visiting is the best way to work out if there's a pleasant atmosphere and if the teachers are any good. also, choosing by department rank will probably only hold much weight if you're sure you're going to come out with a first and go on to post-grad ling :rolleyes:

i visited all the unis i considered applying to aside from edinburgh, which i chucked in as a last-minute substitute after i realised lancaster wasn't going to suit me at all. great if you like campus unis and aren't highly bothered by lots of people going home at weekends/not being able to venture into a bustling city in your free time, awful if you're a london fan.
Original post by iyley
It gets curiouser and curiouser!

How is everyone doing? Firmed and insured yet?:smile:

ahahah :smile:

bope, still too chicken to do so, and also are unsure of my insurance ahahahhaa
Anyone else firmed UCL? :woo:
danrw4
I really liked the idea of lancaster until I went there, it's concrete, grim and the town seemed so dead.

I had exactly the same feelings about Lancaster. I loved the idea on paper as it seemed like a fantastic course which I would have loved (probably more than the course at Edinburgh due to my linguistics interests) but when I went to visit I decided that I wasn't going there within about 5 minutes of getting off the train. Its probably a great place if you want to be at a campus university which is small, but I was from a tiny village and was determined to live SOMEWHERE for university... so Lancaster really didn't do it for me!

yeah 4 years is loooong!

You won't be saying that when you're actually at university - you'll be applying for grad schemes and sorting out your dissertation from the summer before your final year, so essentially for you guys, if you do a 3 year degree you're looking at deciding what you're doing post university in 2 years from now. It really isn't long at all! I was really really thankful that my degree was 4 years as it gave me chance to do things like a year abroad, other work experience/internships during my summer holidays and generally utilise my time at university well. If I'd only had 1 normal summer (given the summer before my final year was taken up with my dissertation) then I would have felt a lot more rushed.

For everyone else -- Edinburgh offer BBB-AAA on the basis of the context of your academic achievements. If you are predicted AAA but are at a school with a strong history of good results and sending people to top universities then this isn't perceived to be as "good" as an applicant predicted ABB from a school with below average results and a poor history of getting people into higher education. Likewise, getting 3A*s at GCSE isn't much to shout about when it comes to top level applications as most people have pretty much all A*s at GCSE. However, if these 3 A*s are from an applicant where there were only 9A*s awarded in the entire cohort of 200 applicants, then contextually, this is a very strong candidate who has achieved much higher than would be statistically expected of a student at their school. Edinburgh are also very interested in your personal statement so place a lot more emphasis on this than some other universities do.

Its really cool to see more people applying for linguistics now. The application numbers went up loads when Cambridge begun offering their undergrad course for 2010 entry. Before then you had to chose to either have a stab at Oxbridge and not apply for linguistics or apply for linguistics and don't apply for Oxbridge. A lot of people applied for MFL or English at Oxford or Cambridge as a result.
Should I be really worried that I have heard nothing, not even a whisper, from Edinburgh about my Linguistics Q100 application?
Original post by oxymoronic

For everyone else -- Edinburgh offer BBB-AAA on the basis of the context of your academic achievements. If you are predicted AAA but are at a school with a strong history of good results and sending people to top universities then this isn't perceived to be as "good" as an applicant predicted ABB from a school with below average results and a poor history of getting people into higher education. Likewise, getting 3A*s at GCSE isn't much to shout about when it comes to top level applications as most people have pretty much all A*s at GCSE. However, if these 3 A*s are from an applicant where there were only 9A*s awarded in the entire cohort of 200 applicants, then contextually, this is a very strong candidate who has achieved much higher than would be statistically expected of a student at their school. Edinburgh are also very interested in your personal statement so place a lot more emphasis on this than some other universities do.

Its really cool to see more people applying for linguistics now. The application numbers went up loads when Cambridge begun offering their undergrad course for 2010 entry. Before then you had to chose to either have a stab at Oxbridge and not apply for linguistics or apply for linguistics and don't apply for Oxbridge. A lot of people applied for MFL or English at Oxford or Cambridge as a result.

I came from a decent state school, well a pretty good one if I'm honest, but I didn't excel at GCSE, one A*, and I now attend a very academically orientated state college, where large numbers go to university. Interesting they gave a low offer, when I'm not particulary an exceptional candidate! Must have loved my personal statement! :wink:

Indeed, I'm very glad Cambridge offered it - I don't do a MFL, so in previous years I would have had to not apply to Oxbridge, which I would have so regretted. Hopefully, with more and more people applying for linguistics, more people will know what it is, ending the 'wtf' faces I currently get! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest