The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

No it is not, free weights are vastly superior
When I wake up in the morning my measurements are 36-30-36 (give or take .25" on my waist and hips). At night my measurements are 36-31-37 (give or take .5").

Throughout the day I gain an inch or two (about 10-20lbs?) but I lose it all again the next morning but then gain it that night and so on, and so forth.

Is this normal or is there something very wrong with me?
Original post by Vixen47

Throughout the day I gain an inch or two (about 10-20lbs?) but I lose it all again the next morning but then gain it that night and so on, and so forth.

Is this normal or is there something very wrong with me?

You are probably not gaining 10-20lbs, it is just water weight and food - which is going to stimulate and be absorbed by the bowel - ie under the boobs and closer to the waist and hips - hence the discrepancy.

Don't worry about it.
Reply 683
I don't really have a question just wanted to say thanks for this thread its really usefull
Original post by Powerlifter

You are probably not gaining 10-20lbs, it is just water weight and food - which is going to stimulate and be absorbed by the bowel - ie under the boobs and closer to the waist and hips - hence the discrepancy.

Don't worry about it.

Of course! It all makes sense now, I don't know why I didn't think of it before! Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by boba
I don't really have a question just wanted to say thanks for this thread its really usefull

Thank you:biggrin:
Reply 686
Original post by tropical-twist3
But shouldn't you be able to lift your own weight with your arms?
I can't, I am feeble :sad:

Actually I can hang and get up but I can't hold it or do another one.

If you can lift you own weight that means your healthy. :biggrin:
hi, im looking for some advice. im trying to tone up so want to introduce weights into my exercise regime. i do bicep curls, french press and squats with dumbbells - what kind of weights should i be lifting? at the moment i do 6kg bicep curls, 8kg french press and 10kg dumbbells with squats. i feel like it's not working though because my muscles never ache the next day or anything - do i need to increase the weights? im only 5ft4 and a size 8 so im pretty petite
Original post by thats_my_poison
hi, im looking for some advice. im trying to tone up so want to introduce weights into my exercise regime. i do bicep curls, french press and squats with dumbbells - what kind of weights should i be lifting? at the moment i do 6kg bicep curls, 8kg french press and 10kg dumbbells with squats. i feel like it's not working though because my muscles never ache the next day or anything - do i need to increase the weights? im only 5ft4 and a size 8 so im pretty petite

If you can complete 8-12 repetitions with your weights with little difficulty then the weight is too light and it is time to increase the weight - there is no rule other than to improve you must force your body to adapt so you should be training outside of your comfort zone.
I have a question about HIIT.

I started doing it last week:

30s sprint - 9.5mph
30s jog - 8.5mph

Repeated 8 times. Then repeated the whole sequence but at a slightly lower intensity (9 and 8).

Is keeping the sprint speed the same throughout OK? Because I can't run much faster than 9.5 at the moment, I think I'd die...
Reply 690
How do I lose weight on my thighs/tone them??? Perfect scenario I'd like a gap at the top lol but dont think that will happen....anyway yeah basically i hate my thighs, i have really toned calfs but my thighs are horrific any tips??
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I have a question about HIIT.

I started doing it last week:

30s sprint - 9.5mph
30s jog - 8.5mph

Repeated 8 times. Then repeated the whole sequence but at a slightly lower intensity (9 and 8).

Is keeping the sprint speed the same throughout OK? Because I can't run much faster than 9.5 at the moment, I think I'd die...

The jog speed should be much less than you are currently doing, even walking is ok.

Original post by tsveta
How do I lose weight on my thighs/tone them??? Perfect scenario I'd like a gap at the top lol but dont think that will happen....anyway yeah basically i hate my thighs, i have really toned calfs but my thighs are horrific any tips??

Read the first post - it would appear from your question you have not done this.
The jog speed should be much less than you are currently doing, even walking is ok.

Thanks!
Helloo.

Well I've had a good read through, and I think it's about time I changed my workout a bit. I've been trying to lose weight since Jan and I've lost a stone so far, mainly through diet and exercise. I'm running a lot as I'm training for a half mara in June, so tend to run about 3-4 times a week. I go to the gym twice a week and I'm really trying to get myself into using free weights, but to be honest I just get scared!

Anyway, I always seem to end up doing more running at the gym but I've been thinking for a while I should just swap it for HIIT, as that would help my running in general yes? I also don't want to get to the point where I'm doing the same old thing and not actually doing anything worthwhile.

Also, I tend to stick to resistance machines (when I can get to them), which is usually lat pulldowns, abductor and adductor, leg press and chest press. I've also started using free weights for my armies lately, so I feel OK with those, and I also do push-ups and sit-ups :colondollar:

Just wondered what I can improve on/change/include to make the most of it? I just get a bit intimidated in the weights area because of all the hardcore lifters who seem to stare me out :sad:
Okay, so I've searched and searched for a definitive answer but I can't find one. Do squats make the waist bigger? Specifically Tabata Squats. I've got a 31" waist which really needs trimming and I already go running 4-5 times a week.
Hi, currently I just do cardio but for fat loss and muscle gain I know I should be adding weights to my exercise.

I only have free handheld weights - is there a sample workout somewhere that only uses these sorts of weights and that I can do at home with no extra equipment? I think my body type is mesomorph if that's relevant.
Reply 696
It is not easy to lose weight especially when someone is not focused in his/her goal. With this kind of method of toning, diet, exercise will be very effective for someone who has discipline, it will really work out and see the outcome of your hardships if you have discipline for these strategies.
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Helloo.

Well I've had a good read through, and I think it's about time I changed my workout a bit. I've been trying to lose weight since Jan and I've lost a stone so far, mainly through diet and exercise. I'm running a lot as I'm training for a half mara in June, so tend to run about 3-4 times a week. I go to the gym twice a week and I'm really trying to get myself into using free weights, but to be honest I just get scared!

Anyway, I always seem to end up doing more running at the gym but I've been thinking for a while I should just swap it for HIIT, as that would help my running in general yes? I also don't want to get to the point where I'm doing the same old thing and not actually doing anything worthwhile.

Also, I tend to stick to resistance machines (when I can get to them), which is usually lat pulldowns, abductor and adductor, leg press and chest press. I've also started using free weights for my armies lately, so I feel OK with those, and I also do push-ups and sit-ups

Just wondered what I can improve on/change/include to make the most of it? I just get a bit intimidated in the weights area because of all the hardcore lifters who seem to stare me out :sad:

If you are training for a half marathon you need to base your running around that, which is not HIIT you can do HIIT after.

You should be aiming to use free weights in replacement of the machines. I can promise you a hardcore lifter will not even notice you as they are too busy doing their thing just be brash and bold and go and lift weights.

Original post by Vixen47
Okay, so I've searched and searched for a definitive answer but I can't find one. Do squats make the waist bigger? Specifically Tabata Squats. I've got a 31" waist which really needs trimming and I already go running 4-5 times a week.

Tabata squats are unlikely to make the waist bigger.

Original post by Sophie_girl
Hi, currently I just do cardio but for fat loss and muscle gain I know I should be adding weights to my exercise.

I only have free handheld weights - is there a sample workout somewhere that only uses these sorts of weights and that I can do at home with no extra equipment? I think my body type is mesomorph if that's relevant.

Have a search on google for home dumbbell workouts.
If you are training for a half marathon you need to base your running around that, which is not HIIT you can do HIIT after.

You should be aiming to use free weights in replacement of the machines. I can promise you a hardcore lifter will not even notice you as they are too busy doing their thing just be brash and bold and go and lift weights.

Thanks. I did man up and use the free weights! All going swimmingly :biggrin:
right, I'm a dancer and I have quite large outer thigh muscles, also quite good stomach muscles.. however the inside of my thighs (right at the top) is all flabby and horrible and looks terrible in shorts I think. what exercises can I do to make them nicer without making my outer thigh muscles bigger? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest