Liverpool 2012 Applicants!!

Scroll to see replies

------------
(edited 12 years ago)
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 321
Could anybody give me some information on the accommodation? For example, comparing on and off campus. Don't know which would be the best to go for! I would be studying Radiography so will have 9-5 placements and early lectures.
-------------
(edited 12 years ago)
I've now confirmed my place for Mathematics with a Foundation year at Carmel - pretty damm excited. I went to the accommodation open day and though Liverpool was banging, espcecially on St. Paddy's day.

Even though I'm commuting to Carmel College everyday the choice is only between Greenbank and Carnatic. My head says Greenbank but my heart says Carnatic. What does everyone else think of the two?

Just over 6 months to go - feels like a life time.

Zak
Original post by zoeclarex
Ohh well done! i've got an unconditional for Occupational Therapy :smile: so we might be in a few lectures together because i've heard some topics hold lectures for all health science students :')
I'm thinking of applying to Derby&rathbone :smile: x

Self catered? I can't decide between D&R and Dale.. :s
Reply 325
Original post by Ardinator

Exact same dilemma here! Though I had a dream last night where I was at D&R... Maybe it was a sign! :biggrin:
Reply 326
Original post by Ardinator

yehh self catered d&r i want :biggrin: x
Original post by ellie32
Could anybody give me some information on the accommodation? For example, comparing on and off campus. Don't know which would be the best to go for! I would be studying Radiography so will have 9-5 placements and early lectures.

well I will be studying radiotherapy and yeeah on campus sounds great for 9-5 BUT on campus is all self catered flats. from the aspect of being a student I think carnatic or greenbank is better. my best mate was in carnatic this year and i went to stay and in the halls its just much nicer atmosphere :smile: more sociable. and i reckon you could get into the habit of just getting the bus? dunno though just telling you my thoughts. also catered i reckon will be helpful for busy 9-5 courses, gives you one less thing to deal with in the evening. :smile:

Original post by alexmason14
Same goes for engineering, I have 9-5 pretty much every day and early starts. Anyone with our kind of timetable should definitely go for on-campus accommodation/prospect point etc as it would be a nuisance getting the bus from Carnatic and Green bank (off-campus) every morning. Personally I'd rather be able to walk to my lectures and back to my university room/flat during breaks if I wanted. I went to the accommodation day last Saturday and the journey between the off-campus accommodation and the university was quite substantial imo. In terms of the insides, they are all pretty similar but personally I preferred the layout of the on-campus accommodation.

ive not seen the on campus accomodation, but im going for catered, as with 9-5 at uni everyday the last thing ill want to be thinking about when i get in is making myself a meal then doing the washing up! haha maybe im just lazy. the journey is like 20 mins which obv isint greeeat but i reckon once you get into the way of it it wont seem so bad.
Original post by UnknownPerson
Congratss!!! ... have you been to the open days and visited any of the halls?

went to visit/selection day and been to stay with a friend in carnatic before :smile:

Original post by zoeclarex
Ohh well done! i've got an unconditional for Occupational Therapy :smile: so we might be in a few lectures together because i've heard some topics hold lectures for all health science students :')
I'm thinking of applying to Derby&rathbone :smile: x

oooh yay go health haha :smile: yeah we probs will be in some lectures. and yeah im deciding between there and carnatic. its quite tricky though! def know i want to be catered, was at uni before (but clearly left) and was in self catered flats and just found it a hassle to cook and wash up in the eve after a tough day at uni. each to their own though :smile: x
Reply 329
Original post by trixiebelle
went to visit/selection day and been to stay with a friend in carnatic before :smile:

oooh yay go health haha :smile: yeah we probs will be in some lectures. and yeah im deciding between there and carnatic. its quite tricky though! def know i want to be catered, was at uni before (but clearly left) and was in self catered flats and just found it a hassle to cook and wash up in the eve after a tough day at uni. each to their own though :smile: x

Haha aw yeah. i think i def want to go for D&R :smile: i love the site! full of greenary and nice views :') ahh i just want to apply nowww haha x
I've been looking at studio flats and etc and have booked appointments with a few estate agents over the easter holidays in regards to private accomm to get a rough idea ... I will also try and visit the halls and see which one suits me the best
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 331
yaya - just firmed liverpool - haven't been on any accomodation views or anything though!, so just going by the liverpool website - but does anyone think going self-catered would make the experience much different from going catered?? - this being for an undergraduate?
-------------------------
(edited 12 years ago)
I'll be going self-catered because I like to choose when to eat, I have somewhat weird times I like to eat during the day lol Plus I prefer the freedom of self-catered, in addition to the fact that it is on-campus/in the city and not a twenty minute bus ride away from the university. In answer to your question though, what I gathered from the accommodation day is that being self-catered won't impact your experience at all, they both have their advantages but being catered will give you the added benefit of living in a more community based environment because of the dining hall and set dinner times meaning you will be able to more easily socilaise with students from a range of courses. However from what I also gathered from the on-campus accommodation is that it is also pretty community orientated but to a lesser extent, you have more freedom which in my opinion is better. You won't lose anything from choosing self-catered, catered is supposed to be an easier transition from moving away from your family home, that's all. You will get an amazing social life from either accommodation.

Which accommodation did you apply for?
Reply 334
I'll be going self-catered because I like to choose when to eat, I have somewhat weird times I like to eat during the day lol Plus I prefer the freedom of self-catered, in addition to the fact that it is on-campus/in the city and not a twenty minute bus ride away from the university. In answer to your question though, what I gathered from the accommodation day is that being self-catered won't impact your experience at all, they both have their advantages but being catered will give you the added benefit of living in a more community based environment because of the dining hall and set dinner times meaning you will be able to more easily socilaise with students from a range of courses. However from what I also gathered from the on-campus accommodation is that it is also pretty community orientated but to a lesser extent, you have more freedom which in my opinion is better. You won't lose anything from choosing self-catered, catered is supposed to be an easier transition from moving away from your family home, that's all. You will get an amazing social life from either accommodation.

hmm yea, that's the thing I don't really want, to be forced to eat at a certain time! so thing self-catered will be better, not that I can cook - ahhwell potnoodle :redface:

what self-catered accomodation do you think would be best for undergrads - I know a lot of them are more post-grad orientated :smile:
----------------
(edited 12 years ago)
Got my offer for Medicine last week - so pleased!

Didn't get a chance to look at accommodation on the open day but going from the uni site I'm leaning towards catered at Dale. Does anyone know how regularly the buses go from Carnatic to the city? Cheers guys.
------------------------------
(edited 12 years ago)
I remember someone telling me that that the buses come every 5-20 minutes, depending on the time of the day.

Oh right, that's not too bad at all! I like the idea of living somewhere leafy a bit further from the city centre. Of course the alternative is rolling out of bed at prospect point and into a lecture :wink:
---------------------------------
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending