The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coodooloo
Ok thank you for your response.
In regards to the presentation, what is it supposed to be about - is it actually presenting the findings of the essay, or is it the methods used to research?
I was also wondering whether the supervisors judge the essay in relationto particular boundaries or assessment criteria? (e.g: ao1, ao2 etc).

Thanks again:smile:

Its a bit of both actually. When we did the presentations most people started off with a bit about why they chose that topic, then went on to present their findings - I basically just went through it the way I had split it up in my essay. Then most people did a few slides at the end going over what they had done well, what could be improved and what they might look at in the future. I think some people did go into what research they had used, especially if they had done primary research such as questionnaires etc. but I didn't personally.

This is the mark scheme (at least for the AQA EPQ) which you can find here - http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/projects/extended-project-epq/extended-project-epq-assessment As you can see its very generic but it should give you a few pointers. I'd really recommend looking the AQA section about EPQ over in general as there are quite a few good pointers which you might find helpful.

A01 Manage - 20% of marks
Identify, design, plan, and carry out a project, applying a range of skills, strategies and methods to achieve objectives.

AO2 Use Resources - 20% of marks
Research, critically select, organise and use information, and select and use a range of resources. Analyse data, apply it relevantly and demonstrate understanding of any links, connections and complexities of the topic.

AO3 Develop and Realise - 40% of marks
Select and use a range of skills, including, where appropriate, new technologies and problem solving, to take decisions critically and achieve planned outcomes.

AO4 Review - 20% of marks
Evaluate all aspects of the extended project, including how outcomes relate to stated objectives and own learning and performance. Select and use a range of communication skills and media, in an appropriate format, to present evidence of project outcomes and conclusions.

As you can see, a lot of AO1 and AO4 is judged on your log book which is why its so important that its not rushed and of a pretty high quality.
Reply 2581
Just wondering if people would be kind enough to leave a comment on my video for my extended project music video just telling me any constructive criticism or responses (good/bad, what could be improved etc) If you can't be bothered to leave a comment then a like / dislike would be much appreciated too :smile:

It's really bad but... yeah any comments would be really nice! :colondollar:

The link's here if it doesn't embed properly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmWYZc2HK9U
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by N0body
So for the record of initial planning can I simply put in a timeline of what I found/done on "Your first ideas of research and development of your project"

For example
development
16/3/12- Created a spider diagram based on antibiotic resistances, this helped me enable me to identify topics that I can write and research about it bla bla bla...*insert spider diagram*.

Did we have to be that specific? i.e:spider diagram etc. I just noted what I intended to research and how (books, journals etc) That's all the title says: "Your ideas for research and development of your project"

Have people been this specific on the Planning Review and Project Reviews also????
Im struggling on the planning review section. What am I exactly supposed to write here "Outline the next steps in your planned research/initial development".
Original post by kathmoynihan
Did we have to be that specific? i.e:spider diagram etc. I just noted what I intended to research and how (books, journals etc) That's all the title says: "Your ideas for research and development of your project"

Have people been this specific on the Planning Review and Project Reviews also????

What did you talk about for the planning review section ?
Original post by Jackkkkk
Okay so if your doing AQA then its out of 50.

10 marks for A01 - Manage, Identify, design, plan, and carry out a project, applying a range of skills, strategies and methods to achieve objectives.

10 marks for -AO2 Use Resources, Research, critically select, organise and use information, and select and use a range of resources. Analyse data, apply it relevantly and demonstrate understanding of any links, connections and complexities of the topic.

20 marks for - AO3 Develop and Realise, Select and use a range of skills, including, where appropriate, new technologies and problem solving, to take decisions critically and achieve planned outcomes.

10 marks for - AO4 ReviewEvaluate all aspects of the extended project, including how outcomes relate to stated objectives and own learning and performance. Select and use a range of communication skills and media, in an appropriate format, to present evidence of project outcomes and conclusions.

As you can see you only get 40% of the marks from the actual project.
What you need to make sure is excellent is your log book and evaluation.

So in your evaluation make sure you say
-you may want to add an extra bit of evaluation at the end of the project, separate from the log book (this is what i did)
-what you could have done better and why didn't you
-limitations you faced, such as access to journals
-what went well
-did you come to a conclusion
-how accurate was the information you used
-what areas did you NOT include that may have been relevant and why (you can pick up lots of evaluation marks for this)

Using your log book:
-make sure you date everything (make it up if needed )
-the conclusion part of the evaluation is rather like an abstract. Which should summarise your findings. This is not an evaluation, but you might like to touch on aspects like limitations of data/information collection.
-Keep in neat and tidy if you can

Other key points
-CHANGE YOUR TITLE (you can gain lots of marks by just changing your title and saying why in your evaluation and this shows development of your question)
- If you have done a research project make sure you include an abstract at the begging.
-Referencing is verryyyyy important (to avoid plagiarism). The best way to reference work is the Harvard method unless its research orientated then you might like to use something like the American Psychological version of referencing.

If you need any more help just ask :biggrin:
-make sure your bibliography is up to date-as it sometimes checked

Hi im struggling on the planning review section in my logbook im not exactly sure what they are asking me to talk about here. Am I supposed to list the things I plan to research :s . The question is "outline the next steps in your planned research/initial development"
Original post by Olive123
Hi im struggling on the planning review section in my logbook im not exactly sure what they are asking me to talk about here. Am I supposed to list the things I plan to research :s . The question is "outline the next steps in your planned research/initial development"

Yeah in this bit you just list what avenues of research you expect to do in the near future. You can even say things like I have looked at this which led me to this and I will now look at.....
Also it is a good place to write general sources of info, so say I will go to the library, look online or go to a uni library etc etc :smile:
You may want to suggest how you think your title is developing as you continue to research and discover new information :smile: - and if you may need to alter your title you could briefly mention this. However this section is, as you say, mostly for what you PLAN to do, look up and where you will go to do so :smile:

If you have any more questions, just ask. Or if its complex/want me to look at anything just PM me :smile:
Original post by Jackkkkk
Yeah in this bit you just list what avenues of research you expect to do in the near future. You can even say things like I have looked at this which led me to this and I will now look at.....
Also it is a good place to write general sources of info, so say I will go to the library, look online or go to a uni library etc etc :smile:
You may want to suggest how you think your title is developing as you continue to research and discover new information :smile: - and if you may need to alter your title you could briefly mention this. However this section is, as you say, mostly for what you PLAN to do, look up and where you will go to do so :smile:

If you have any more questions, just ask. Or if its complex/want me to look at anything just PM me :smile:

Thank you very very much :biggrin:
Today when i finished writing my extended project, i decided to use one of the free online plaigirism checkers to just check how unique my project was. I used www.smallseotools.com and it said my epq essay was 95% unique which i am happy with as all the bits which it said were copied have been properly referenced and shown in the text. I understand that AQA use turnitin to check for plaigirism if mine goes for moderation and i want to make sure that my essay wont now have been added to their online database of work to check against otherwise it will show up at AQA as a complete copy-against my own work? The smallseotools checker shouldn't have added it to any databases should it? :smile:
Hey guys, I am having trouble deciding whether or not to carry on with 4 A-Level next year or 3 A-Level with AQA Bacc. Which one will look better to Uni?? Am planning to do my EPQ based on the course I want to do at Uni. Can someone help me out and give their opinions on this. Cheers
Reply 2590
i have to start my extended project in a few days time therefore i have have to decide what topic to chose asap but i am completly blank so i was thinking if anyonee would recommend anny topics i can do either as the products and 1000 words or as the 5000 words essay,, help wiil be much appreciated

at the moment i am taking AS subjects: maths, biology, chemistry and psychology and i want to do pharmacy further on so it would more useful if i can get topics related to these area, thanks again :smile:
What are you looking to do after your A Levels?
If you're going to uni then I'd do it on something that'll relate to the course you want to do because you could mention it in your personal statement & it'll probably boost your application (because it'll show that you're interested in the subject etc.)
If you're not going to uni then do it on whatever you find interesting.
Maybe have a brain storming session & do a mind map of ideas, read around on the internet on some topics and then hopefully you'll get closer to narrowing down what you want to write about
:smile:
No .
Hello,
I am completing an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) and I need some questionnaires filling out. If you watch the news, listen to it or read it in newspapers or magazines, please could you fill one out or simply place your answers in a reply e.g.:

1. female
2. the guardian

etc.

Thank you! Don't feel pressured into completing one, only if you want to and have the time to. You only have to complete one btw, feel free to do more than one if you wish.

Thank you again, it is much appreciated :smile:
Leah
Reply 2594
Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Basinga
Hope this helps! :smile:

This is great! Thank you :smile:
I finally did my presentation today, it's such a good feeling to have it done and out of the way now! :biggrin:
Reply 2597
Original post by Pen Island
What are you looking to do after your A Levels?
If you're going to uni then I'd do it on something that'll relate to the course you want to do because you could mention it in your personal statement & it'll probably boost your application (because it'll show that you're interested in the subject etc.)
If you're not going to uni then do it on whatever you find interesting.
Maybe have a brain storming session & do a mind map of ideas, read around on the internet on some topics and then hopefully you'll get closer to narrowing down what you want to write about
:smile:

i wannt to do, pharmacy in uni so if u can, can u give me some ideas n what i can do
What is the effect of The Student Room on student life?
Original post by miisn
i have to start my extended project in a few days time therefore i have have to decide what topic to chose asap but i am completly blank so i was thinking if anyonee would recommend anny topics i can do either as the products and 1000 words or as the 5000 words essay,, help wiil be much appreciated

at the moment i am taking AS subjects: maths, biology, chemistry and psychology and i want to do pharmacy further on so it would more useful if i can get topics related to these area, thanks again :smile:

In the absence of any of the kind of equipment you'd need to produce a pharmecutical (I know that's probably spelled incorrectly) product, I'd go for the 5000 word report :biggrin:
All the scientists in our college high achievers are opting for the report. The easiest approach seems to be to pick a topic, pick a question from the topic, then to present the report as a collection of your own research (for scientists this means a LOT of references to avoid plagarism) which leads on to answering the question...
Is there any particular extra-curricular reading that you do? You can't how much overlap with your As topics, so I'd probably pick your topic from that. Maybe there's a report in a pharmecutical/psychological magazine that you've been interested in etc... For example, you might be able to think of a question to do with the effects of drugs on various psychological disorders (that you'd covered in lessons). e.g. "Are drugs the most effective cure for depression and why?"
Your research could go on to explain on a biochemical level why the drugs work (that normally means a LOT of detail), discuss the results of various studies and compare the effectiveness with other treatments (eg stiff upper-lip; regular exercise etc).

Hope that helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending