The Student Room Group

poll for most prestigious - Warwick, UCL or Bristol ?

This poll is closed

Which of these universities has the best reputation amongst employers

Warwick 25%
UCL 65%
Bristol 7%
all / are equal - in this case please comment2%
Total votes: 337
I made this a poll so that no one is shy to speak their opinion in terms of possible negging.

I've done the calculations and monetarily I don't end up much worse off at any of the three because of different bursaries and whatnot.

I do prefer London. But I intend to study above all else, so not really fussed about location.

So really all my final decision comes down to is
where will get me the best job?

please don't neg me :smile: If you doubt my maths, my parents are willing to pay my accommodation for either, and I'd go for catered halls. If you're an anti-elitist or go to one of the other Unis, hierarchy is essential in this circumstance sorry , get a serious life.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, they are all of a very similar standard, but UCL does stand slightly above. However, I don't think any will have a job advantage over the others. Plus it's impossible to predict what the economy will be like in 3 years. Go for the one you prefer.
Original post by Moiraclaire
I made this a poll so that no one is shy to speak their opinion in terms of possible negging.

I've done the calculations and monetarily I don't end up much worse off at any of the three because of different bursaries and whatnot.

I do prefer London. But I intend to study above all else, so not really fussed about location.

When you talk about bursaries, are these means-tested or purely academic ? Or are you an International student receiving bursaries from your home country ?
Also - Didn't you get into Oxford ?
Reply 3
Original post by member910132
When you talk about bursaries, are these means-tested or purely academic ? Or are you an International student receiving bursaries from your home country ?
Also - Didn't you get into Oxford ?

means tested.

At the best unis, there aren't really academic ones because everyone gets similar grades ? from what I have seen.

My household income is low as parents are divorced and I live with my mother who is a scientific civil servant and hence paid little for someone with her intelligence (she herself went to UCL funnily enough).
Quite unfair because my parents' joint income is a lot higher than some people who get no financial assistance :L Marriage does not pay in this circumstance!

last question answered in signature in red letters.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't know how these signature things work, I can't find it. Did you get an offer from Oxford or not ?
Reply 5
I don't know how these signature things work, I can't find it. Did you get an offer from Oxford or not ?

No, I applied to Cambridge and was rejected after interview.

My interview was shocking. My TSA score was below average. My UMS in my ASs were also no where near good enough.
Reply 6

UCL would be my personal preference!

on a side note: congrats on the Warwick offer, I got rejected yesterday :colondollar: looks like I'm definitely LSE bound
Reply 7
Original post by funkydee
UCL would be my personal preference!

on a side note: congrats on the Warwick offer, I got rejected yesterday :colondollar: looks like I'm definitely LSE bound

what does it matter what Warwick say if you have LSE ? hahah

Everyone seems amazed by the Warwick offer (like at school) but still tells me to choose UCL, seems contradictory :L
what does it matter what Warwick say if you have LSE ? hahah

Everyone seems amazed by the Warwick offer (like at school) but still tells me to choose UCL, seems contradictory :L

You say you do prefer London and the rest does not really matter to you (bursaries, student life etc.). Then go for UCL. In terms of prestige, Warwick and UCL are equal. The experiences will be different of course (country-side vs big London). But if you say you don't really care then just choose the location that you slightly prefer :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by nightmare91
You say you do prefer London and the rest does not really matter to you (bursaries, student life etc.). Then go for UCL. In terms of prestige, Warwick and UCL are equal. The experiences will be different of course (country-side vs big London). But if you say you don't really care then just choose the location that you slightly prefer :wink:

I tried to like your wisdom.

But this is what it said

Please rate some other members before rating this member again

I must have liked your comments too often :L
I tried to like your wisdom.

But this is what it said

Please rate some other members before rating this member again

I must have liked your comments too often :L

Thank you! How sweet! :biggrin:

It's between Warwick and UCL. I voted UCL before I saw your sig, but I think for Econ it's not so clear-cut. Warwick is very strong for Economics, and employers know it.
But UCL has a better international reputation, according to QS at least
Reply 13

what is QS ?

Well they even listed London Business school even though they don't offer Economics at all. Not really reliable :redface:
Word of wisdom, employers don't give out job offers based on where you went to University.

They give out job offers based on your skills and what you can brig to their company which is best displayed by as much experience as you can get your hands on.

To that end, you may be best off in London as that is where most big companies are based.

so really all my final decision comes down to is

ALL three of these Unis will give you the chance to get the best job if you get a 2.1 or first. Then its only YOU who can get the job not the uni. You have to decide which one you like. They are all good well respected universities. if you got a 2.1 from Warwick and someone else got a 2.1 from ucl you would not be at a disadvantage
Reply 19
Original post by Historophilia
Word of wisdom, employers don't give out job offers based on where you went to University.

They give out job offers based on your skills and what you can brig to their company which is best displayed by as much experience as you can get your hands on.

To that end, you may be best off in London as that is where most big companies are based.

Ahhh I'm aware it's not the sole thing.

But the best places to work often only bother going to careers fairs etc of the best unis ?
I do prefer UCL tbh :L

Original post by Nightufury
ALL three of these Unis will give you the chance to get the best job if you get a 2.1 or first. Then its only YOU who can get the job not the uni. You have to decide which one you like. They are all good well respected universities. if you got a 2.1 from Warwick and someone else got a 2.1 from ucl you would not be at a disadvantage

Didn't think there'd be much in it, but obviously a first from Cambridge looks better than a first from Manchester Met' so wanted to know if employers make any distinction between candidates from those 3 universities.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest