The Student Room Group

Art foundation applicants 2012!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beccafairy
you can't apply for accommodation until the 2nd of april, and i think you'll have also needed to have accepted your offer to be put on the system, so don't worry!

aww, now i'm being paranoïd and i don't read well..
thanks you so much rebecca, you're the best (:
Original post by RebeccaLdr
aww, now i'm being paranoïd and i don't read well..
thanks you so much rebecca, you're the best (:

haha, no problem other rebecca! :wink:
Reply 282
Just got a rejection from CSM. But I have an offer from Kingston,
I'm utterly confused to what unis are looking for.
Original post by Imamomobird
I got a rejection letter from CSM, but an offer from UCA Farnham, which I'm actually really happy about. Just had the interview today and I found the campus to be much nicer than st martins and I think the smaller classes and more personal tutor time is more suited for me.

Well done on Farnham! I totally agree that it will be a much nicer atmosphere than CSM
Have you heard from anyone else getting results from CSM? I have heard of others getting rejections from email but not by letter?
A friend of mine got accepted at CSM for fine art, he is a happy bunny with offers from Kent, Reading, Southampton also.

He got rejected from Goldsmiths which is the place he had his heart set on.

He's not sure now what the hell to do, his teachers are saying CSM all the way.

Original post by gracebunny
Well done on Farnham! I totally agree that it will be a much nicer atmosphere than CSM
Have you heard from anyone else getting results from CSM? I have heard of others getting rejections from email but not by letter?
got my official offer from manchester school of art yesterday, though i won't be accepting as i'm going to CCW. :smile:
just wondering if anyone is though? manchester's really far away from home/expensive to return for me, which was one of the reasons why i was less inclined to go there, but the course itself looks amazing, if it was somewhere more accessible i'd be there in a heartbeat but i haven't really seen many people on here that have applied which surprises me!
got my official offer from manchester school of art yesterday, though i won't be accepting as i'm going to CCW. :smile:
just wondering if anyone is though? manchester's really far away from home/expensive to return for me, which was one of the reasons why i was less inclined to go there, but the course itself looks amazing, if it was somewhere more accessible i'd be there in a heartbeat but i haven't really seen many people on here that have applied which surprises me!

I feel exactly the same way about Leeds - the course looks absolutely fantastic, great facilities, really amazing tutors but it doesnt look like many people here have applied. I worry that it means the standard of the students might be lower? Congrats on CCW!
Original post by gracebunny
I feel exactly the same way about Leeds - the course looks absolutely fantastic, great facilities, really amazing tutors but it doesnt look like many people here have applied. I worry that it means the standard of the students might be lower? Congrats on CCW!

oh, i've seen quite a few! i don't think that's the case, my friend who got an interview at kingston and an offer from CCW didn't get into LCA. plus, the course leader at manchester said that the top foundation courses (in terms of statistics i believe, as in how many people get offers from top degree courses?) are the UAL ones, manchester and leeds. they've just sent me accommodation forms in the mail, i'd better cancel my offer... :colondollar:
Reply 288
Stuck between DMU and Birmingham City. Any opinions? I have offers from both, and a waiting list for leeds.. these are all I applied for, so I wish i applied for more now :frown: Id love to get into leeds, though no idea how likely it is to get an offer after being on the waiting list!
Original post by AliceLang
Stuck between DMU and Birmingham City. Any opinions? I have offers from both, and a waiting list for leeds.. these are all I applied for, so I wish i applied for more now :frown: Id love to get into leeds, though no idea how likely it is to get an offer after being on the waiting list!

i've got friends at both of these unis, the ones at DMU have had a bad experience of the place, and a lot of them dropped out/transferred elsewhere. another friend said that everyone goes for the party and not to do any actual work, but i'm sure that's just her being stupid ha! heard nothing bad about birmingham. this is for degree courses though, and i know that birmingham in particular is very different for foundation! it's a shame that the building is so out of the way, i get the feeling that the standards of work are higher there though, so if it were me, i'd go for BCU. ...unless you do get a place at leeds, i need to work out how to reject my offer from them!
Reply 290
did anyone apply to brighton city college? i went to the portfolio review last week and my work was SO different to everyone elses and i can't work out if it's a good or a bad thing!!!!
Original post by lulubird
did anyone apply to brighton city college? i went to the portfolio review last week and my work was SO different to everyone elses and i can't work out if it's a good or a bad thing!!!!

probably a good thing :smile: tutors like individuality and original ideas right? xx
Reply 292
I cant seem to decide between Leeds or CCW...? Can anyone help me weigh up the pros and cons?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 293
Original post by Ellie-
I cant seem to decide between Leeds or CCW...? Can anyone help me weigh up the pros and cons?

I'm the same, I don't know what to pick between lca, ccw or Kingston.. I realise this is not something I should be complaining about!!
Leeds looked like it had good facilities, and the tutors were so friendly.. Leeds seemed like a really fun place to go out and stuff aswel but maybe everyone would just be there to party and have no interest in work??
Ccw, I'd nearly go just for the reputation but it's such a huge course and apparently you only get 3 studio days a week?
Kingston seemed competitive to get into so I suppose the people on the course will be focused and stuff. And it's close to london.. Does anyone know if it has a good reputation when it comes to getting onto a degree course?
Original post by Ellie-

i chose CCW as i want to live in london for several reasons, though it'll be more expensive, and i want to go to camberwell to do my degree. the quality of work there will be good to, as they're quite selective with applicants, but the same can be said about leeds. whereas leeds would be cheaper to live in, and i got a friendlier vibe about the place, and it's a smaller course so you'll be able to get more tutor feedback as well as more space to work. both are really good courses though, i'd be happy going to either!

Original post by carolb123
I'm the same, I don't know what to pick between lca, ccw or Kingston.. I realise this is not something I should be complaining about!!
Leeds looked like it had good facilities, and the tutors were so friendly.. Leeds seemed like a really fun place to go out and stuff aswel but maybe everyone would just be there to party and have no interest in work??
Ccw, I'd nearly go just for the reputation but it's such a huge course and apparently you only get 3 studio days a week?
Kingston seemed competitive to get into so I suppose the people on the course will be focused and stuff. And it's close to london.. Does anyone know if it has a good reputation when it comes to getting onto a degree course?

haha, while the nightlife in leeds is great, i doubt the art students are just there to party!
all three have great reputations of getting their students onto top courses, kingston gave out a list of where last year's foundation students went at their open day, most actually tend to stay on but others went to some really good places. the art foundation looks amazing at kingston, it's a LOT harder to get in and i'd say that the work they produce is the best, though they push you very hard there. i've had health problems in the past, so at an open day i asked what the days/hours were like and got a lecture back about how i'll be working until 10pm every night aaah!
yeah, you're timetabled in for 3 days a week at CCW but i think you can just go in and get help from your tutors/use the facilities anytime.
Reply 295
Original post by justreadthebooks
probably a good thing :smile: tutors like individuality and original ideas right? xx

I HOPE SO!!! have you applied to brighton city college? x x x
I can't decide between MMU, CCW and Bradford - my local college. Help!
Original post by LucyEliClay
I can't decide between MMU, CCW and Bradford - my local college. Help!

if it's a case of you not being able to afford to do your foundation in london as you said in the other thread, then i'd say go to manchester and wait until you can get student loans to study in london. :smile: or go locally and save loads i guess! either way, it doesn't really matter where you do your foundation, but both MMU and CCW are really highly respected courses. it depends what you want out of the year as well - studying locally would be a money saver and the course would be a lot smaller but the living experience wouldn't be much different, whereas MMU is a huge university with all kinds of people, and CCW is part of an art school and has huge numbers, so you've got three different experiences depending on where you go.
Reply 298
can't choose between going to my local uni for art foundation or applying for ravensbourne (theres still time left!) is it worth travelling to london everyday for it or does it not really matter where you go when applying for degrees?
i chose CCW as i want to live in london for several reasons, though it'll be more expensive, and i want to go to camberwell to do my degree. the quality of work there will be good to, as they're quite selective with applicants, but the same can be said about leeds. whereas leeds would be cheaper to live in, and i got a friendlier vibe about the place, and it's a smaller course so you'll be able to get more tutor feedback as well as more space to work. both are really good courses though, i'd be happy going to either!

haha, while the nightlife in leeds is great, i doubt the art students are just there to party!
all three have great reputations of getting their students onto top courses, kingston gave out a list of where last year's foundation students went at their open day, most actually tend to stay on but others went to some really good places. the art foundation looks amazing at kingston, it's a LOT harder to get in and i'd say that the work they produce is the best, though they push you very hard there. i've had health problems in the past, so at an open day i asked what the days/hours were like and got a lecture back about how i'll be working until 10pm every night aaah!
yeah, you're timetabled in for 3 days a week at CCW but i think you can just go in and get help from your tutors/use the facilities anytime.

"the quality of work there will be good to, as they're quite selective with applicants, but the same can be said about leeds."
are they really that selective? i thought they weren't since they have so many places at ccw :confused: do you know the numbers of how many apply and how many places there are?

Quick Reply

Latest