The Student Room Group

Is Obama The Greatest US President Of All Time??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
JFK was the only good president that I'm aware of.

Holding speeches doesn't make you a good president and signing laws which effectively allow the detaination of anyone in the country for any period of time, based on 'suspicion' makes you borderline psychotic.

But of course, he is but a puppet. Like every presidend since JFK.
Reply 41
Original post by Gnobe
Does anyone think Obama is the greatest US president of all time??

For me he is, I think he's good role model for the world, he gives inspiring speeches week in week out and pretty much all round one of the smartest presidents they ever had. I also say it due to the historic nature of his presidency.

One of the very few presidents who has won the Nobel Peace Prize as well. His speeches draw in crowds of 100,000 - very few politicians I've seen can do ever on a regular basis like the way he can. :smile:

Would you agree??

Original post by ShowMeYourSpine
He's not perfect obviously, but at least he's not a delusional religious nutcase that claims to be in dialogue with an imaginary god.

I have no problem with people attacking bush. He deserves plenty of criticism for pursuing more or less the same policies Obama has.

Those claims that he was ordered to attack countries because god told him to are BS. All the people who supposedly witnessed those quotes later claimed that they were false. There are plenty of real quotes bush said that can be used to criticize him. No need to dig up fake ones. He never said the French don't have a word for entrepreneur either
Original post by maitai
I certainly prefer him over predecessor.

I find this strange. The two men have very similar policies. What exactly do you like better about Obama other than his skin color?
Of course not. But then again, picking the 'best' US President is a bit like picking the 'best' Al-Qaeda leader. They're all awful in their own different ways.
Reply 45
Original post by Made in the USA
I find this strange. The two men have very similar policies. What exactly do you like better about Obama other than his skin color?

Because the Bush administration will forever be tainted by the awful decision to go to war. It was completely unnecessary and continues to have detrimental effects on all parties involved.
The reason I say I prefer Obama over his predecessor is mainly based on the fact that the former is trying to end the war.

Besides, I cannot agree with Bush on his views on such issues as abortion as well as same-sex marriage. Obama seems to be far more open minded on such topics, especially when discussing gay rights.
Original post by prog2djent
In the words of Noam Chomsky "he's worse than Bush".

If you get your opinions from the BBC and Russell Howard then he is actually a prophet who will cure all ills.

Kind of hypocritical for you to complain about others getting their opinions from bad sources whereas you can't explain yours without quoting someone else. And that quote is dumb as hell; no way is Obama worse than Bush. Plus, it was "in many ways", so you got that wrong as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by maitai

The reason I say I prefer Obama over his predecessor is mainly based on the fact that the former is trying to end the war.

Trying to end it by introducing a troop surge when he came into office and 'leaving' Iraq having built loads of military bases and a city-sized embassy?

What do you mean by 'trying to end it' anyway? The opinion of both Afghans and Americans is either that the troops should simply get out altogether or a fixed timetable for withdrawal is set, with most of that persuasion wanting a year or two maximum. Obama has failed on all accounts regarding this.

Besides, I cannot agree with Bush on his views on such issues as abortion as well as same-sex marriage. Obama seems to be far more open minded on such topics, especially when discussing gay rights.

Presidents have little power on these kinds of issues and rarely talk about them much anyway. Even a social conservative like Reagan rarely actually talked about or pursued it much while in office. Talking about it a lot is an attempt to distract people from more important issues.
Yes, he's the greatest president ever. Because he was black. ****ing morons.
Reply 49
Lol. No, Obama has been very average.

As for the good orator, that's not really what makes a good president. Plus, his speeches aren't actually that good. Take his 2012 address for example, his ratings in the polls were 46% before, and one week later, only rose to 47%. Pathetic really. On the contrary, Obama has been better when he hasn't made a fuss about things, his changes to education for example, are pretty damn good.
Original post by maitai
Because the Bush administration will forever be tainted by the awful decision to go to war. It was completely unnecessary and continues to have detrimental effects on all parties involved.

Obama's position is identical to bush's position on same sex marriage, that it should be between a man and a women. You are just ignorant of his views if you think he is more open minded because he isnt.

Obama, when he ran in 08, told the American people the real fight was afghanistan. He chose to double down in afghanistan. He also helped the Muslim brotherhood take power in Egypt and Libya is not going to be any better off thanks to his meddling. I'm not really seeing much difference here.

Regarding abortion, bush never tried to impose his views on Americans, and Obama hasn't touched the issue of abortion either. You may be surprised to know the majority of Americans are against abortion anyway
Original post by Made in the USA
He also helped the Muslim brotherhood take power in Egypt

I'm mostly in agreement with you on everything else on Obama, but Obama is not a fan of the Muslim Brotherhood - he backs the SCAF, Mubarak's thug squads who are now in power and who are generally pretty secularist.
Reply 52
Original post by anarchism101
I'm mostly in agreement with you on everything else on Obama, but Obama is not a fan of the Muslim Brotherhood - he backs the SCAF, Mubarak's thug squads who are now in power and who are generally pretty secularist.

The Americans love the Muslim Brotherhood, the MB and the Salafis are the puppets of the Saudis. Saudis used the Muslim Brotherhood to destroy Nasserism - it was actually the Saudis who brought the leaders of the Brotherhood back to Egypt in the 70s. It's funny when western commentators who haven't got a clue were saying that the brotherhood and salafis winning big was bad for the west, no way is that true. A MB and Salafi government plays right into the Saudis (and hence American - Israeli's) hands, especially with the military still holding power in Egypt. America and so on love Islamists, because they pose a very little threat and are always backwards bearded idiots who ruin and weaken countries and are the biggest sell outs in human history.
Original post by cl_steele
no ... he hasnt done anything, except dump all over BP...

http://whatthe****hasobamadonesofar.com/
Reply 54
Original post by Gnobe
Does anyone think Obama is the greatest US president of all time??

For me he is, I think he's good role model for the world, he gives inspiring speeches week in week out and pretty much all round one of the smartest presidents they ever had. I also say it due to the historic nature of his presidency.

One of the very few presidents who has won the Nobel Peace Prize as well. His speeches draw in crowds of 100,000 - very few politicians I've seen can do ever on a regular basis like the way he can. :smile:

Would you agree??

Because he's mixed race amirite?
Wow, this has the be the worst basis to judge anyone. He was given the peace prize two weeks into his term. Everyone attributes this to the fact he's half black. Anyone can make speeches.
Reply 56
Abraham Lincoln & JFK?
Reply 57
He's just like Bush but cooler.
I'm a massive fan of Obama, but the OP is a retard.

Greatest President would be either: Teddy Roosevelt, Fred Roosevelt or Lincoln.
Reply 59
Original post by TCD23
I'm a massive fan of Obama, but the OP is a retard.

Greatest President would be either: Teddy Roosevelt, Fred Roosevelt or Lincoln.

exactly what do you like about obama? how has he been different than bush? i am taking about more than his skin colour here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending